AFHPSP for Active Duty Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caliman1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an active duty AF Officer and just met the 2011 AF HPSP board on April 5th. Is there anyone else out there that met this board and if so, have you heard back yet and how did they notify you (email to you, your commander, phone, etc)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just received an email from Mr. Kush at AFPC today that says he should notify me by email pretty soon (guess that means within a few days?)!!!!

I'm in the same boat, hear anything yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
No,

I haven't heard anything yet. You're an active duty pharmacist and applying for med school (met the April 5th HPSP board)? What school are you planning on attending? As soon as you get the email would you mind posting here on this board and I'll do the same. That way we'll know if they forgot about one of us...

Will do, and my story is a bit more complicated. I will pm you that later. School is University of TN. Your school?

I've chosen ATSU-SOMA (AT Still Arizona). Really cool program that's so different from every other school in the nation and awesome people. Didn't have a really tough decision as my other 4 accepted schools didn't really compare.

Did any of you get a decision this week? My recruiter told me the air force hpsp board date was pushed from the 5th to the 9th and the" estimated release date" was april 16th, but it is now the 19th and still no word. I have been emailing him daily, but he said no results are posted yet. I will be going to pcom-philly this year.

I did find out my result yesterday...#1 alternate for the scholarship.

Hm, that is probably not good news for me if the results are out and my recruiter didn't tell me yet haha. Ill call him today to see what's going on, hopefully I get the result. So with first alt, does that mean if someone isn't commissioned then you will be offered the scholarship? Good luck!

Hm, that is probably not good news for me if the results are out and my recruiter didn't tell me yet haha. Ill call him today to see what's going on, hopefully I get the result. So with first alt, does that mean if someone isn't commissioned then you will be offered the scholarship? Good luck!

Probably.

I'm not sure how much movement there is, but I'm sure there is some and it can be pretty late too.

I've been offered the scholarship, commissioned, and will attend COT this summer. Still, I can back out until the first day of med school (supposively). So, I'm sure some people will back out at some point.

If you're going to COT then you're probably in the wrong forum...this thread is for AFHPSP for active duty applicants (also includes ROTC & Academy grads). I'm not an expert on this, but as far as I know we have a different HPSP board than the civilian applicants. I don't know what happens if a civilian applicant drops out...not sure if I can get their slot but I doubt it. I need one of the ROTC, Academy, or active duty guys to either decide to drop their HPSP scholarship and go to USUHS or not get into med school and thus be ineligible for the HPSP. Again, not an expert and just my understanding.

If you're going to COT then you're probably in the wrong forum...this thread is for AFHPSP for active duty applicants (also includes ROTC & Academy grads). I'm not an expert on this, but as far as I know we have a different HPSP board than the civilian applicants. I don't know what happens if a civilian applicant drops out...not sure if I can get their slot but I doubt it. I need one of the ROTC, Academy, or active duty guys to either decide to drop their HPSP scholarship and go to USUHS or not get into med school and thus be ineligible for the HPSP. Again, not an expert and just my understanding.

Whoops. Well if that is the case, my bad.

Sorry if that came across the wrong way...just want to make sure you're not getting bad info from me since my situation is totally different. Maybe look into the other HPSP folders and you'll find the answer.

All,

I am an AF Academy grad who has been on AD for almost 4 years who is interested in a career change, with med school being a distinct possibility. Coming out of the Zoo, I was leaning towards med school and even granted permission by the Academy to pursue med school, but chose against it due to: a low MCAT score, a great assignment to Hawaii, the uncertainty of knowing whether I would want to make the military a career and the fact that the needs of the AF would dictate to a certain extent what type of doc I would be. On assignment number 2 in Germany, I have come to the conclusion that I don't mind the military, I do not really enjoy my job and I still have a lingering passion for medicine.

For those of you applying, do you know how the pay works for former AD Officers with HPSP? I know that the monthly stipend would be the same, but do you make more during your training days? Also, how does the AD time work when you are commisioned after med school? I think I remember reading 2 for 1 somewhere, but would like verification. Also, any one switching branches of service while doing med school?

What was the process for an active duty member? Did you get released from your career field to pursue it or wait for your AD commitment to expire?

Thanks for any input.

All,

I am an AF Academy grad who has been on AD for almost 4 years who is interested in a career change, with med school being a distinct possibility. Coming out of the Zoo, I was leaning towards med school and even granted permission by the Academy to pursue med school, but chose against it due to: a low MCAT score, a great assignment to Hawaii, the uncertainty of knowing whether I would want to make the military a career and the fact that the needs of the AF would dictate to a certain extent what type of doc I would be. On assignment number 2 in Germany, I have come to the conclusion that I don't mind the military, I do not really enjoy my job and I still have a lingering passion for medicine.

For those of you applying, do you know how the pay works for former AD Officers with HPSP? I know that the monthly stipend would be the same, but do you make more during your training days? Also, how does the AD time work when you are commisioned after med school? I think I remember reading 2 for 1 somewhere, but would like verification. Also, any one switching branches of service while doing med school?

What was the process for an active duty member? Did you get released from your career field to pursue it or wait for your AD commitment to expire?

Thanks for any input.

As far as I understand it, you get 2LT stipend pay of ~$2000/month for 10.5 months and will get your normal base pay (Capt in your case by the time you do this) for 1.5 months during the 45 training days. Not sure about BAH pay during the 1.5 months but that's probably not a huge deal compared to the base pay. Apparently finance will automatically take care of this...lol, but you never know.

When you finish med school, you'll be a Capt and can take all of your active duty years divided by 2 (i.e. I'm a Capt with 10 years total active duty time...when I graduate I'll be a 5 year Capt and will be promoted to Major really quickly).

Switching branches is questionable. Although I've heard the Army has more specialties available, I'm not sure I'd want to do such long deployments to the desert.

I did get released from my career field but I think I was lucky (pilot). My functional said "no", then AFPC Separation said "no", and then my package went to the Secretary of the Air Force's Office and they approved it! Apparently this is totally out of the norm though.

All,

Thanks for any input.

First of all, "fast, neat, average..."

Second of all, nice job swinging assignments to Hawaii and Germany without going through Korea first.

Now, to answer a couple of questions. The process for getting approval is a convoluted one at best. Whether you are released form your career field depends on manning in your grade in those fields. I hear they are RIF'ing BSCs and MSCs, so, if you are one of those, I would say: take the VSP and run! Now if you are a UAV "pilot," the chance of them letting you go are a lot less. In any case, you will need to get sign off through your entire chain from squadron to wing. Another catch may be that you owe at least one more year from USAFA plus any commitment from training. Until those commitments are up, it will be more difficult to get released.

As for the pay question: on your AD tours (45d per year) you will receive whatever base pay you were entitled at your former AD rank plus BAH who wherever you are living.

As for the time in grade/service question: all of your "time in service" years count, i.e., if you have 12 yr commissioned time you would get paid at whatever over 12 pay grade. For time in rank, it is more complicated, but you basically get 1/2 credit for whatever time in service you have applied toward the next rank. For instance I left the USAF as an O-4 with 11yr 5mo AD. When I cam on active duty in the Navy, I was an O-3 with 5.5-ish years time in grade. Does that make any sense?