Afip?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows what's up with the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology? Used to have a pretty stellar reputation in all fields of pathology, but it seems (to me at least) that they're not as well regarded anymore?

Members don't see this ad.

PathOne said:
Anyone knows what's up with the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology? Used to have a pretty stellar reputation in all fields of pathology, but it seems (to me at least) that they're not as well regarded anymore?

AFIP pretty much remains the jewel in the corroding crown of military medicine. If you ever get to do anything there, do it.

RMD 1-10-11

OK. Did some courses there, but it was several years ago. Really good then. Nice to know they're holding on. Thnx for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
The big issue with the AFIP in the next ten years is remaining a viable military facility. In the face of the changing priorities of our country's military, they need operational justification. But it still commands much respect. And frankly it was a big part of the reason why I wanted my particular residency.

Those of us in pathology and doing a residency next door feel differently about that. We have numerous opportunities that many civilians don't. We get nearly weekly lectures from AFIP staff. We have a pretty quick turnaround for consults. While the AFIP may be a crumbling edifice, there are samples and experience inside those walls that are not to be found anywhere else in the world.

Geo