Afraid of biochem questions during interview...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jamilla_w

I got an A+ in biochem and a LOR from my biochem professor.

The problem is- I don't remember any of it. It was the easiest class in the world. All of the exams were take home and you could consult with him or the TAs for help (and they gave a lot of it).I basically just looked up the answers in the book or asked the TAs for help when I was stumped.

If I am asked a biochem question by an interviewer (even an easy one) I will have a blank look on my face. Are you asked questions about subjects you did well in???????

Members don't see this ad.

You have to remember at least the most basic stuff from biochemistry. You did study it for the MCAT correct?

If it is something complicated that you've never seen before. An honest I don't know is pretty simple. If it something you don't remember that you did learn just be honest and don't make something up. Your grade was enough proof of your science abilities.

I am 100% sure you will have to know glycolisys and Kreb's cycle cold.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an A+ and an LOR in orgo, and I swear I hardly remember what an alkane is. I went to nine interviews, and the only extent to which it ever came up was "boy, your orgo professor sure loved you!"

I wouldn't sweat it for a moment.

Risa said:
I got an A+ and an LOR in orgo, and I swear I hardly remember what an alkane is. I went to nine interviews, and the only extent to which it ever came up was "boy, your orgo professor sure loved you!"

I wouldn't sweat it for a moment.

Just what I Wanted to hear. Thank you

how do you people get A's in these courses and not remember a thing? o_O

burntfries said:
well im a psychology major and sometimes i feel like i couldn't tell you a damn thing about psychology.

burntfries said:

I have done this too. I made A's in gen chem, and I have been reviewing it a little for organic in a few weeks, and I forgot how to do the simplest problems in a summer's time lol.

Also my relatives have said "oh you made an A in genetics tell me..." and I am like "I knew that a year ago, but now I have no idea."

i don't think any of your interviews will involve biochem grilling...don't study biochem for your interview, ok?

jamilla_w said:
I got an A+ in biochem and a LOR from my biochem professor.

The problem is- I don't remember any of it. It was the easiest class in the world. All of the exams were take home and you could consult with him or the TAs for help (and they gave a lot of it).I basically just looked up the answers in the book or asked the TAs for help when I was stumped.

If I am asked a biochem question by an interviewer (even an easy one) I will have a blank look on my face. Are you asked questions about subjects you did well in???????

:laugh: Nobody quizzes you on biochem in interviews, that would just be silly!

jamilla_w said:
Just what I Wanted to hear. Thank you

sure thing :)

best of luck with interviews! :luck:

OMIGODOMIGODOMIGOD you don't know! The interview is like an oral version of the Physical Science part of the MCAT! I heard if you score more than 2 points below what you got on the MCAT, your interviewer will spit on your file right in front of you! STUDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEE! :eek:

AggieJohn said:

Haha I hope not :eek:

I'm actually moving tomorrow, Doc P! I'm super excited and will keep y'all updated as things actually get started :D

what school was this that had such easy exams in a supposedly "advanced science" course?
my biochem course was hard as hell.

ironmanf14 said:
:laugh: Nobody quizzes you on biochem in interviews, that would just be silly!
Actually one guy I was talking to said that one of his interviewers asked him to draw the structure of glycine.

But, that's the only question of the sort that I have heard of coming up in Med. school interviews.

jota_jota said:
Actually one guy I was talking to said that one of his interviewers asked him to draw the structure of glycine.

I heard if you have a tattoo of the structure of glycine on your upper arm, they don't ask you this question.

Or, at least, they won't let you look at your arm while you do it.

southpaux said:
what school was this that had such easy exams in a supposedly "advanced science" course?
my biochem course was hard as hell.

yeah that's what i was wondering too.. i know at cal its one of the most challenging classes bio majors take...

easy A.. wow... i wish i went to your school... just another reason they should REALLY consider that there is a difference between an A at one school and an A at another... :rolleyes:

Risa said:
Haha I hope not :eek:

I'm actually moving tomorrow, Doc P! I'm super excited and will keep y'all updated as things actually get started :D

Haven't seen you in a while Risa.

I'm so sorry people belittled you about all your app success. No worries though, you certainly showed all of us. :)

Wish you the best of luck in Boston, Risa.
-Dr. P.

P.S.: Unless you're doing an MD/PhD interview, you probably won't be asked any biochem. If anything, they'll ask you about the most basic and rudimentary aspects of the subject. Don't sweat it.