African American female applicants I need your help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modelgirl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello , I have an important question on doing black hair for the interview day. I am an african american female with natural (non-permed) hair and I wanted to know which hair styles would be "acceptable" for the committee. I currently wear my hair twisted and with braided extensions sometimes. What in your opinion is considered "decent"? Thanks and Happy Holidays

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN sisterfriend. As long as your appearance is neat and professional I would think that either style would be perfectly acceptable. Unfortunately,I have been on several interviews with sisters (and others) who looked like their hair was an afterthought as they ran out of the hotel. I'm from the old school and believe that first impressions are extremely important. Whether you choose to go natural, twisted, braided, weaved, fried, dyed, or laid to the side, do it up right and walk in there with confidence. Good luck on your interviews.

I personally absolutely love the fro. But that's just my opinion. I would say that anything would work as long as it looks decent. Twisted and extensions are probably great. Just as long as it looks like you put a little effort into your hair.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help!! The advice is greatly appreciated!!

I also have natural hair that I often wear in twists. My hair has a wavy texture so I just wore it that way. I think that as long as your hair is neat, you will not have any problems. But, I did have several people from my hometown ask me if I was going to press my hair before my interview...anyways...go figure!

You know what I did with my hair? I just spent 30 seconds combing that rat's nest the morning of the interview. It's not that complicated :D

More seriously though I think you should definitely listen to Sarena. Whatever you do doesn't necessarily have to be conventional; but it definitely MUST look professional. In addition, confidence is of the essence. Know wa mean?

When I went to the SNMA conference a few years ago I saw tons of African-American Medical students with naturals and Locks, I just wondered how the "establishment" would think because sometimes the natural gets negative feedback. I Will take all of the advice and just focus on the confidence. THanks Take Care

Represent for the natural sistas!

Not an African American, but seen women at my interview with REALLY nice braids, looked very professional. Maybe, pull the hair back in a bun? (with gel)? Thats what I did with mine. Also saw a girl with braids and she pulled them back in a pony tail.