After dental school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have to do residency to become a dentist after dental school or are you a dentist that can practice after dental school? Like do you have to do any post dental school training to be like the guy everyone visits growing up as yearly visits.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have to do residency to become a dentist after dental school or are you a dentist that can practice after dental school? Like do you have to do any post dental school training to be like the guy everyone visits growing up as yearly visits.

There are a handful of states, which require a 1 year post-graduate residency by LAW.

No, just pass boards and licencing exams. There may be a state that requires residency but dont quote me on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
NY requires a 1 year residency

A few more questions, what exactly happens in the 1 year dental residency? Also is there a list somewhere of all the residencies like the general dental one, orthodontist, or endodontist residencies? Also is there a list somewhere of the states that require a 1 year dental residency for becoming just a dentist?

A few more questions, what exactly happens in the 1 year dental residency? Also is there a list somewhere of all the residencies like the general dental one, orthodontist, or endodontist residencies? Also is there a list somewhere of the states that require a 1 year dental residency for becoming just a dentist?

If you want to do GP, in general you can practice right out of DS, considering you pass the boards and licensing (with some state that require a GPR (residency))

If you want to specialized (Ortho, Endo, Perio, etc.) you MUST do a residency, normally 1-3 years, or oral surgery maybe even a dual degree with MD, 4-6 years:laugh:

In the 1 year GP residency, you pretty much just get more exposure to procedures so you are more experienced and comfortable with practicing by yourself.

This is something to consider when you're choosing a dental school to attend, as different schools will produce graduates with differing levels of experience and procedure completion. Some people say they don't feel prepared to go into practice, while others say they do. Obviously, if your state requires a residency, then you have no choice in the matter.

This is something to consider when you're choosing a dental school to attend, as different schools will produce graduates with differing levels of experience and procedure completion. Some people say they don't feel prepared to go into practice, while others say they do. Obviously, if your state requires a residency, then you have no choice in the matter.
how do i know which states require the residency?

how do i know which states require the residency?

Honestly I've never looked into it. It sounds like the people who posted it would probably know more about it. Then again, Google is always your friend. A simple search could probably find you the info, like "states........ scratch that... I found it already I think : http://www.ada.org/sections/educationAndCareers/pdfs/licensure_state_requirements_intl.pdf

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see that NY required any post-grad residency? Although this is only current up to 2009 so it may have changed just recently.

Bing is right.... NY state is one of the few states in the nation that requires residency in anything (even general dentist).

I think there is another (or maybe 2 more states) with similar laws

Residency? Really? Great. Another year that will let you add interest to your $250,000 -$450,000 worth of debt. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Where can I find just general dentist residencies and maybe orthodontist residencies, is there a site to look them up?

Where can I find just general dentist residencies and maybe orthodontist residencies, is there a site to look them up?

your name says "hs".... If you are still in hs then....I think its too early for all that

you don't really "find" residencies. To simplify things, every dental school will have specialty programs. For example, my school, has AEGD (its sorta like general practice residency), ortho, endo, and perio department. Every year, they get hundreds of applicants applying to these programs and each program usually accepts between 3-5 applicants per year (so yes its EXTREMELY competitive / selective)...... Ofc, some residency programs are not dental school affiliated (like some oral surgery)

If you are in high school / starting out college, the BEST and most important things you can do are (order of most important to least important):
a) grades, GPA, and the whole shebang
b) get some shadowing done, shadow a dentist, a doctor, a surgeon (if you can handle not passing out).... explore the different areas of healthcare and see which you like. You might like dentistry or orthodontists today, but wait till you shadow a doctor/surgeon.
c) volunteering hours are semi-important (not as important as grades of course). it doesn't have to be dentistry or medicine related, it can be in anything that shows commitment to community
d) finally, and IMO, I don't believe this to be that important, is research. By the way, I did zero research and I was just fine.... so

NY requires a 1 year residency

.I was looking up the requirements to practice in NYS the other day. Yes, if you want to practice in NY right after dental school you must first complete a residency program GPR or similar. BUT, if you are interested in traveling or have an opportunity to practice in another state you can practice in NY after completing 2+ years of licensed experience from another state plus some other requirements. I live on the NY/PA border so I am looking into this option, though the exact restrictions I am still trying to figure out. .
.Look under this section in the link provided: Applicants Licensed in Another Jurisdiction (Endorsement).

.http://www.op.ny sed.gov/prof/dent/dentlic.htm.
to get link to work delete the space between "ny sed"

Buy a porsche, date a model and be a high roller.

So what if you go to NYU but are not planning on practicing in NY. Is NYU going to make all of their dental students do a residency?

Buy a porsche, date a model and be a high roller.

amen to that !
The first year I make 150k, I will drop by a chevy dealership and pull out with a Brand new fire-red Vette Z06 with black rims.

amen to that !
The first year I make 150k, I will drop by a chevy dealership and pull out with a Brand new fire-red Vette Z06 with black rims.

Word! I can picture the image as you describe it.

Word! I can picture the image as you describe it.

speaking of picture...

rbxowi.png

So what if you go to NYU but are not planning on practicing in NY. Is NYU going to make all of their dental students do a residency?

As far as I know, they don't make students do a residency. That's a requirement in order to practice in the state but if you don't want to practice in NY, or any other state with similar residency requirements, you don't have to do a residency.