1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

After Graduation-Serving?

Discussion in 'Military Dentistry' started by Shadownght12, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Shadownght12

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Quick question, after graduating from dental school we serve in the army as dentists correct? Or are we expected to know armed combat as well????

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Shadownght12

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I had an additional question.
    After graduating and serving your 4 years with the Army, you're free to practice on your own correct? What I'm trying to say is that you no longer have any commitment to the Army?
    Thanks.

4. CougarDental

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I believe you are still a part of the Army reserves for four more years, which means that if it's absolutely necessary they can call you back for your services. From what I've heard it's something that never really happens.

5. krmower

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Upon graduation you must know all 10 ways to kill a man with your bare thumb:laugh:

They will teach you the Army stuff as needed. OBLC will give you the fundamental knowledge about weapons, compass, some of the gear, and military terminology and things you need to know. The rest will be on the job training.

6. krmower

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    You are already planning on getting out at 4 without even giving it a try?:D

Minimum obligation is 4 years active (or 3 if you had a 1-3 yr HPSP scholarship). You will then owe the rest of the time in the IRR which is a way for the Army to have your name on a list and not do anything with you. No dentist has ever been activated. You can go into private practice and be safe.