After Graduation-Serving?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shadownght12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question, after graduating from dental school we serve in the army as dentists correct? Or are we expected to know armed combat as well????

Members don't see this ad.

I had an additional question.
After graduating and serving your 4 years with the Army, you're free to practice on your own correct? What I'm trying to say is that you no longer have any commitment to the Army?
Thanks.

I believe you are still a part of the Army reserves for four more years, which means that if it's absolutely necessary they can call you back for your services. From what I've heard it's something that never really happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question, after graduating from dental school we serve in the army as dentists correct? Or are we expected to know armed combat as well????

Upon graduation you must know all 10 ways to kill a man with your bare thumb:laugh:

They will teach you the Army stuff as needed. OBLC will give you the fundamental knowledge about weapons, compass, some of the gear, and military terminology and things you need to know. The rest will be on the job training.

I had an additional question.
After graduating and serving your 4 years with the Army, you're free to practice on your own correct? What I'm trying to say is that you no longer have any commitment to the Army?
Thanks.

You are already planning on getting out at 4 without even giving it a try?:D

Minimum obligation is 4 years active (or 3 if you had a 1-3 yr HPSP scholarship). You will then owe the rest of the time in the IRR which is a way for the Army to have your name on a list and not do anything with you. No dentist has ever been activated. You can go into private practice and be safe.