After interview, what are the odds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MorningLight210

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I everyone...I hope that you are all well, and gradually recovering.....

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have an idea about one's chances for admission to a school where one has been granted an interview? If you've been given an interview, can you indulge in an iota of confidence about your chances, or is it still impossibly difficult?

Thank you in advance. Have a nice day everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

whoops..."Hi everyone," not "I everyone." Sorry about that! :rolleyes:

It depends on the school. The MSAR has this info, I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, you can get info like that from the school's website. Look at #applied vs. interviewed vs. enrolled. Usually a school will accept double its class size originally (unless it is one of the absolute best schools, then they accept less than double b/c most people will come if accepted-- Harvard, Hopkins, etc).

Northwestern, for example, offers limited interviews, but accepts 50% of the students interviewed.

Hope this helps!

keeping with the topic, definitely depends on the school. as was already mentioned schools like standford that have a more selective secondary and interviewing process will accept higher amounts of those interviewed,

i really just wanted to let MorningLight210 know that he/she did not have to write another post to edit what was said in the first one. there is an edit button at the top of each post that is near the little quotation marks. just trying to help . . .

I think that last years numbers may be a bit misleading. With schools anxious to fill their classes, they are selecting interviewies based on less information then in the past. I think that since they are screening less to interview, they may screen more after interviews. Meaning, %accepted from interview pool may be lower this year.

Originally posted by punkin2:
•I think that last years numbers may be a bit misleading. With schools anxious to fill their classes, they are selecting interviewies based on less information then in the past. I think that since they are screening less to interview, they may screen more after interviews. Meaning, %accepted from interview pool may be lower this year.•

Have you actually heard any schools definitively say they will be interviewing more candidates this year? Just wondering, because I personally would not guess that there will be a substantial increase in the number of interviews given out -- interviewing is a lot of work for the school as well as the applicant, and puts a considerable strain on their resources in terms of timing and planning. I think you'll probably see about the same numbers of interviews offered as in past year, but with a screening process that may be slightly more number-intensive initially.

As for odds, definitely check out the usnews.com site, but I would venture to say that on average, your chance of acceptance post-interview is around 30-50%

When all is said and done, it doesn't seem uncommon for schools to offer acceptances that is THREE times the size of their enrolling class. Most schools seem to have an interview pool to enrollment ratio of 6:1.

When all is said and done, it doesn't seem uncommon for schools to offer acceptances that is THREE times the size of their enrolling class. Most schools seem to have an interview pool to enrollment ratio of 6:1.

An don't forget that this lends to the ever- so-popular wait-list!