After Pregnancy.. Gum problems????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why some people may have gum problems after giving birth???

What is the cause...
Any remedies...

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

During pregnancy, the concentration of various steriod hormones are elevated. This is also noted in the crevicular fluid that is in the gingival sulcus. The bacterium P. intermedia thrives on this medium and its number increases dramatically- leading to the inflammatory response, aka gingivitis. There is no special treatment besides rigorous home healthcare and scaling/polishing/root planing. Pregnancy places the patient in a immunocompromised state so following the oral condition is important. After pregnancy, steriod hormones return to normal and the associated gingivitis should subside.
aceking said:
Does anyone know why some people may have gum problems after giving birth???

What is the cause...
Any remedies...

thanks

This is true. Although I don't remember all the biochemistry from hygiene school, and I'm sure dental students get a much more in-depth explaination, most of the patients I have that are pregnant have only a very small difference in their gum tissue, if any.

Their gums might be a bit more spongy and you might see a little more bleeding, but for the most part that's it. I've never seen any patient with a pyogenic granuloma, or anything that even resembles that. Most women might notice a little more bleeding on flossing or scaling, but nothing dramatic. The pictures of all the stuff in oral path are a lot more exciting than what I see on a regular basis.

Good homecare and regular cleanings are important before pregnancy and throughout breastfeeding.

It's all caused by poor hygiene. Other factors can exacerbate gingivitis/periodontitis, but the bacterial load left from poor hygiene is always the common denominator. Although there are a few zebras.