After Primaries Verified, need to include Summer Courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If applying early June, get verified, but take July/Aug summer courses of your Graduating year, do you eventually have to send these summer grades? If these summer courses need verification, will that restart you primaries and delay your application even though you've been verified once from June?

I'm asking because I don't want to show my summer courses if they will delay my verification til Sept. If these grades just get sent in as an acknowledgment of completion, and thus won't delay my application, then I'll consider sending the update.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your application will still be evaluated. You will have to denote them as future classes and will have to send the transcript upon receiving the grades, but it will not hold up your application. If they are classes required for med school, you can still apply but you must finish the courses before you matriculate into med school. Is there any reason you are taking more classes after you graduate?

I had a similar question..if you apply the summer of junior year...do you need to send in your senior year grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you will have to send them in, but once again it will not delay your application.

Is there any reason you are taking more classes after you graduate?
I mentioned I might graduate at the end of senior summer session. I wanted to take these humanities courses just for fun, not for med school. I don't NEED them for GPA purposes, although +0.05 could help lol??

Related to my MCAT retake question, can you send in a retaken MCAT scores as an update in Aug without holding your application sent early June, and expect the schools to look at this 2nd MCAT score in time for early fall interviews?

I mentioned I might graduate at the end of senior summer session. I wanted to take these humanities courses just for fun, not for med school. I don't NEED them for GPA purposes, although +0.05 could help lol??

Related to my MCAT retake question, can you send in a retaken MCAT scores as an update in Aug without holding your application sent early June, and expect the schools to look at this 2nd MCAT score in time for early fall interviews?

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, but if you are asking if you can be evaluated by your first score when you indicated on your app that you would be retaking the mcat...yes and no depending on the school. I retook the mcat in august so most of my schools waited for the retake score. However, Tufts granted me an interview based on my first mcat score. So it really depends on if the school feels the first score is to their standards whether they decide to wait for your retake score or evaluate your app based on your first score. I hope that answered your question. If not, explain a little deeper so I know what you are talking about.

^^Yes, that's what I meant, thank you. I was wondering if we could have the 'best of both worlds': To have them look at each mcat score as they are made available, because I know they might not have time to as we approach Sept.

Any more info or similar experiences?

^^Yes, that's what I meant, thank you. I was wondering if we could have the 'best of both worlds': To have them look at each mcat score as they are made available, because I know they might not have time to as we approach Sept.

Any more info or similar experiences?

without firsthand experience, i would guess that no, you couldn't get the best of both worlds. adcoms have so much to sift through and will likely 1) not bother reading your app until they get the new score if you tell them you'll be retaking, which could possibly result in a super late "complete" date, or 2) toss you into the reject pile based on your first score, if it's not good.

again, that's totally a guess.

Your application will still be evaluated. You will have to denote them as future classes and will have to send the transcript upon receiving the grades, but it will not hold up your application. If they are classes required for med school, you can still apply but you must finish the courses before you matriculate into med school. Is there any reason you are taking more classes after you graduate?

I just want to clarify this point, because I think it's a little confusing.

You should note what classes you are registered in, but you are not required to put any future classwork in (Note: if you still have to take prereqs at the time of application, you definitely should put when you plan to take them). The reason for this is simple: plans change. You may not be interested in one class and will withdraw, or you may get off the waitlist in one class in favor of another.

When AMCAS verifies your application, they will go strictly by what's on your transcript. If there's something not on your transcript, but is on your application (such as a future course), they'll make a little note next to it.

Now, once you're verified, AMCAS doesn't touch your application again. It doesn't matter if you get additional grades; your primary will NOT change. That being said, many people send in grade updates as they get them, in an effort to be looked upon favorably for admission. Unless the school specifically requests them (I know of one school that will put you on hold pending fall grades before possibly inviting you to interview), you don't have to send in transcripts until you start filling out information for matriculation. That is, you'll only have to send in your transcripts to the school you plan on going to.

No fall courses for me. Just summer.

Ok so the only thing that will keep my primary from being complete is no MCAT score (once pre-reqs are verified). I wonder if a mid-July MCAT = Aug score will be too late, even with June submission of primaries?