After sending first LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

P0310

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent a letter of intent to my first choice school where I am waitlisted and letter of interest to other schools.
what should I do next to tell them how much I want to go to that school?
what should be the content of my other letters? repeat same things?
Please advice.

Members don't see this ad.

copy&paste from someone else's post

This was how I did mine:

I sent mine out near the time when they were deciding my application (they sent out acceptances every 15th of the month):

1. First paragraph, I introduced myself, gave a brief background. I'm nontrad and had an unusual background, so I figured by stressing my background, I would stand out.

2. Second paragraph: I gave a list of reasons why I wanted to attend the school. I gave personal (parents are here), to professional (it's a ranked school with good residency match list) and financial (it's cheaper than a lotta other schools!).

3. Concluded with the 'intent to come if you accept me' and a general thanks remarks.

It wasn't too long, less than a page, and I filled it up with legitimate reasons I wanted to attend the school, showing that I researched the school (my knowledge of the match list and other misc things I liked about the school), while not sounding like I'm sucking up (didn't say 'this school is the best school in the whole wide world!!!') and I ended with the statement that I would come if accepted.

thanx for the nice long reply. the school infact was my undergraduate institue also and i am an instate student so it will be cheaper.
how often do you think i should send this type of letter? i was waitlisted in october. i sent my LOI in feb. i know it's kind of late to send the first one. but i want to send as many as possible now (w/o freaking or annoying them).

Members don't see this ad :)
P0310 said:
thanx for the nice long reply. the school infact was my undergraduate institue also and i am an instate student so it will be cheaper.
how often do you think i should send this type of letter? i was waitlisted in october. i sent my LOI in feb. i know it's kind of late to send the first one. but i want to send as many as possible now (w/o freaking or annoying them).

Honestly, I don't think I would send more than one.

You can send update letters with some frequency (~monthly), but once you've sent a true letter of intent and said you will go there and pull other acceptances if offered, there isn't much left to say. Sending the same letter, or variations of the same, probably won't strengthen your case.

Just out of curiosity, do you think letters of intent really work? I mean, if at the end of the day you do get accepted to the school where you sent an LOI, maybe you were high on the waiting list all along. Does anyone know of an example where someone was on a lower tier of the waitlist, then sent an LOI and got accepted?

I am in the lower tier of waiting list at the medical school i want to go to. that's why i want to send more than one LOI.
I have low chances of getting in anyway, so i want to give it my full effort.
i'll let you know if i have any sucess.