age after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optics2020

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to know if anyone who has graduated or will graduate from optometry school graduate pass the average age of graduates of 26-27 yrs old? The reason why I ask is because I predict that if everything goes according to plan I would graduate around the age of 31-32. Does anyone think thats a little too late to become an optometrist? I really want to become a optometrist but at the same time something tells me that it is too late. What was it that stopped you from letting go and continue to reach your goal?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if anyone who has graduated or will graduate from optometry school graduate pass the average age of graduates of 26-27 yrs old? The reason why I ask is because I predict that if everything goes according to plan I would graduate around the age of 31-32. Does anyone think thats a little too late to become an optometrist? I really want to become a optometrist but at the same time something tells me that it is too late. What was it that stopped you from letting go and continue to reach your goal?

that's fine... we had some students back in my class who entered at 45... of course you'll see the 20-22 year olds (we had 2 of those), but there are always some who had other careers before changing (teaching for instance).

Whether you become an OD or not, you'll reach the age of 31-32 regardless.

Do you prefer to be an OD at age 32 or not be an OD at age 32?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I'll be 40 when I graduate from optometry school, and by the time I get my license, I'll be 41. You'll be fine graduating at 31 or 32!

We have quite a few students who are 30 and older when they enter. I believe there is someone in my class who is 45 and a second year who is in his 50's.

I don't think that's too old. I'm 25 and will enter Optometry school probably around the age of 28-29. A REALLY good buddy of mine is enrolled at PCO at age 41 and in his second year!

I graduated at 29. My best friend in OD school graduated at 34. There were two or three who were older than us. If you want to be an OD, go be one :)

I'm entering SUNY Opto in NYC at the age of 54...
I assume I will still have a pulse. <G>