Age check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How old will you be when you finish your EM residency?

• <22

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 2 1.4%

Votes: 10 6.9%

Votes: 23 15.9%

Votes: 11 7.6%

Votes: 15 10.3%

Votes: 14 9.7%

Votes: 18 12.4%

Votes: 10 6.9%

Votes: 9 6.2%

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • 37-38

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • 39-40

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • 41-42

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • 43-44

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • 45+

Votes: 7 4.8%

• Total voters

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please indicate your age that you will be when you finish your EM residency on the poll. Thanks! Trying to see how "non-traditional" this group of SDNers is

Members don't see this ad.

29. *sigh* so old.

dethdude said:
29. *sigh* so old.

Oh PUUUULEASE! :)

Take care,
Jeff <- apparently, quite the old fart

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be 30...and balder than a one week old.

I was 34 (and 9/12 to borrow from spyder) when I finished

42 and fabulous!

I took the liberty of giving mine (43) although admittedly, I won't be in residency until after med school, and first I need to get in, which can't happen til after Post-Bac. So it's all very optimistic.

i think if all goes well, ill be about 32. what is the typical age? it looks like around 29-31 ??

dethdude said:
29. *sigh* so old.
So far in the poll, there is only one person who registered an age lower than yours, you whipper-snapper.

I'll be 32. Most of my med school friends are younger than I am... but they're going in various types of Surgery. Suckers... they'll finish older than I will, chronologically *and* psychospiritually!!

;-)

p.s. no, i don't think psychospiritually is a word either... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was 28, class of 1999.

Paul

I see no one has admitted to being over 40 except on the poll. I will be 44 and proud of it!!! I'm like a fine wine... you hope it didn't turn to vinegar over the years.

ekydrd said:
I see no one has admitted to being over 40 except on the poll. I will be 44 and proud of it!!! I'm like a fine wine... you hope it didn't turn to vinegar over the years.

dood post #7 and #8 both said they would be over 40. :confused:

Just to add to that, I'll be 41.

Take care,
Jeff

44, baby!

And Mr. Lincoln still comes out of the White House, if you know what I mean.

And possibly 34 if I do a fellowship.

cooldreams said:
dood post #7 and #8 both said they would be over 40. :confused:

lol... see? Old age plays tricks on the old brain. :D I did see them, but somehow forgot all about them when I typed my original message.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. I don't care WHAT the study in the NEJM says. :cool:

'zilla

Who in the world posted 26? Started residency at 23? Must have gone to one of those newfangled early entry med schools where you don't have to finish undergrad, or some such.

Doczilla said:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. I don't care WHAT the study in the NEJM says. :cool:

'zilla

I concur. I picked NYC for residency to beat the southern niceness out of me and make me a treacherous/cantankerous old woman in the ED. :p

roja said:
I concur. I picked NYC for residency to beat the southern niceness out of me and make me a treacherous/cantankerous old woman in the ED. :p

Yeah, good luck with that. The only thing that happened to me after two years up there is my Texas accent got worse. I'll grant you, however, that it was MUCH more colorful. :)

Take care,
Jeff

Well, since the first thing people say to me (and everyone in my family) when thye hear I'm from texas is 'you don't sound like your from texas', I don't think that is going to happen to me. :)

roja said:
Well, since the first thing people say to me (and everyone in my family) when thye hear I'm from texas is 'you don't sound like your from texas', I don't think that is going to happen to me. :)

Yep, yep...that's what they said to me, too. :)

Take care,
Jeff

USCDiver said:
Who in the world posted 26? Started residency at 23? Must have gone to one of those newfangled early entry med schools where you don't have to finish undergrad, or some such.

I had a couple of those young 'uns on the interview trail with me. One complained he couldn't rent a car because he was under 25. Poor thing ;) .

USCDiver said:

There is no way I would have cut undergrad short to start med school early. I had way too much fun in college, but I guess it's different for everyone.

USCDiver said:

We had a classmate in med school who had her 18th birthday during M1! :eek: (She was on a different campus for her M4 / 21st b-day bash!). Think about it, she is just herself able to drink ETOH legally and she has Rx privledges...

- H

FoughtFyr said:
We had a classmate in med school who had her 18th birthday during M1! :eek: (She was on a different campus for her M4 / 21st b-day bash!). Think about it, she is just herself able to drink ETOH legally and she has Rx privledges...

- H
How did that work out, one of those brainiac children who skip through half of high school? /jealous :)