Age limit for tooth implants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there an age limit for tooth implants? My father is 72 and has probably 3 or 4 teeth but are pretty much useless. He can't chew much if any at all and pretty much just swallows the food.

Also, how long does it take to recover from the surgery?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There really is not an age limit, just make sure it's worth his time and money. The entire procedure is about 6 months long. If he smokes, the chance of success is less. Also they need to make sure he has enough bone to place the implant. If there is not enough place between the IA canal and crest then it cant be done. Thats not always the same for the maxillary sinus because sinus lifts can be performed. After the implant is placed, it needs to heal for at least 4 months, then place a healing abutement to establish a good sulcus around the implant, then the actual abutement and crown.

Members don't see this ad :)
Time is of not the problem, I was just merely curious about it.
I'll try to locate a dentist and see if my father can have implants.
Thanks sokrman14.

There are many different factors that come into play regarding a patients qualification for implant placement. Best to discuss with your dentist regarding any concerns you might have. Good luck. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.