Age of data?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Back in 2013, I conducted a study on a somewhat novel area of psychology training. We published the main manuscript in 2014 and one other chunk of the data back in 2016; we have a third manuscript that is a minor revision under review now. We still have maybe 2-3 manuscripts we could get out of this dataset, and they are still novel (not a lot of people doing this work, though TDs, DCTs, and grad students all seem to find it very socially valid, and it gets decently cited. I’d like to try to publish the remaining manuscripts, but is it okay to publish data from a dataset that’s six years old?

Members don't see this ad.

I think so, unless you have a strong feeling that something big changed in culture/time/society (history effect).

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Unless there is something different from then to now (I wouldn't publish internship match stuff, for instance, because of the shifting training availability and increased criteria of program accreditation for appic), I'd day go for it.

Nothing inherently wrong with it, but it depends on the nature of the study and may cause some concern for reviewers and/or require extensive disclosure.

Prevalence rates of mobile device usage? Yeah...has changed enough its probably not worth publishing. Effects of an SSRI on brain reward network connectivity? Probably fine as long as its a med that is still in use.

In 2013, I published data from a clinical trial my graduate advisor ran from 1997-1999. We disclosed it in the paper. Only methodological issue was that one of our sample characteristics measures was an older version. I doubt the (lack of) efficacy for divalproex changed in that time.