Age requirement for pharm tech in Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btpayne13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the minimum age requirement to be a pharmacy technician in Illinois? I'm interested in pharmacy, but I'm only in high school (16 years old), and I want to see if I can get a job as close to the pharmacy industry as I can.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the minimum age requirement to be a pharmacy technician in Illinois? I'm interested in pharmacy, but I'm only in high school (16 years old), and I want to see if I can get a job as close to the pharmacy industry as I can.

age 16 if currently enrolled in high school. If you are not currently enrolled in high school, you must have a high school diploma.

Excellent. I was expecting the requirement to be 18, but since I'm 16 and in high school, I'll look into it. What's a better place to work at: CVS or Walgreen's? Both are really close to my house.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent. I was expecting the requirement to be 18, but since I'm 16 and in high school, I'll look into it. What's a better place to work at: CVS or Walgreen's? Both are really close to my house.

I would go with Walgreen's. I feel that their technology is superior and they will better adapt as the pharmacy market evolves.

I work at Osco Drug but I will continue to work with Osco. Those years as a pharm tech do add up when you eventually become a pharmacist :)

I heard Target closes their pharmacy for 30 min/1 hr to give their staff a break. I think that's awesome :)

I would go with Walgreen's. I feel that their technology is superior and they will better adapt as the pharmacy market evolves.

I work at Osco Drug but I will continue to work with Osco. Those years as a pharm tech do add up when you eventually become a pharmacist :)

I heard Target closes their pharmacy for 30 min/1 hr to give their staff a break. I think that's awesome :)
Thanks for the info. I'll probably apply to several pharmacies to increase my chance of getting a job. Do the chains like hiring younger employees to work as pharm techs? If they care about grades, I have a 4.0 GPA.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably apply to several pharmacies to increase my chance of getting a job. Do the chains like hiring younger employees to work as pharm techs? If they care about grades, I have a 4.0 GPA.

I think they care more about people being responsible...ie be on time and not call off of their scheduled work times. A teacher as a reference would be a good idea especially if you're never late for your classes and you do well.

That's a good idea. I'll contact one of my teachers to use as a contact, as I've never been late to a class and my grades are great. What exactly do pharm techs do? How much training is there to go through?

That's a good idea. I'll contact one of my teachers to use as a contact, as I've never been late to a class and my grades are great. What exactly do pharm techs do? How much training is there to go through?

Working at CVS, they do train you. You start off at a register for a day learning the basics (ie how to scan, count money, returns, all that fun stuff). They then will make you take a class and learn about each part of the pharmacy team. There's drop-off(putting new prescriptions in the computer), Production(filling the actual prescriptions), quality assurance(Pharmacist checks to make sure right medication and correct amount was dispensed), and pick-up/drive-thru(pretty much at the register finding prescriptions and ringing people out). You start off at pick-up/drive thru, move onto production, and then onto drop-off after you get used to the computers and learn how to put in insurances. That's pretty much it really. They pay you for training. You absolutely need to have a car. Once again, this is for CVS...I don't really know how it is with other pharmacies.

So you mean I need a car for delivering prescriptions at CVS?

Okay, that shouldn't be a problem. I live about a block away from CVS and Walgreens, so I can walk or ride my bike to get there, and I'll get my license and a car in a couple of months.