Ahh! Its the time to panic!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smile786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am worried about the MCAT test that I will be taking on the 23rd of this month. I started studying May 10th and I am weak on Physics and have no clue about the writting section. If someone have any suggestions about the writting section; please help. I want to know how can I attack the writing section and what are some strategies that you guys know that I can use? Another thing is that I've been studying the Physics content but it doesnt go through my head! I've been reading the content from the Princeton Review book and supplementing it with 1001 Physics Examkrackers Workbook. The workbook helps reinforce the material I am reading but I don't think it is really helping. I took a practice MCAT from GoldStandard and found out that I made a 13!!!! Like OMG, how can I make a 27-30 range like everyone else!!! Someone who have been in a situation where they had few days to study, please give some advice. One thing I learned is to put this off till the end, and I don't want to wait another year to apply.

Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am worried about the MCAT test that I will be taking on the 23rd of this month. I started studying May 10th and I am weak on Physics and have no clue about the writting section. If someone have any suggestions about the writting section; please help. I want to know how can I attack the writing section and what are some strategies that you guys know that I can use? Another thing is that I've been studying the Physics content but it doesnt go through my head! I've been reading the content from the Princeton Review book and supplementing it with 1001 Physics Examkrackers Workbook. The workbook helps reinforce the material I am reading but I don't think it is really helping. I took a practice MCAT from GoldStandard and found out that I made a 13!!!! Like OMG, how can I make a 27-30 range like everyone else!!! Someone who have been in a situation where they had few days to study, please give some advice. One thing I learned is to put this off till the end, and I don't want to wait another year to apply.

Thanks in advance!!!

You STARTED studying the 10th? You're screwed IMHO

Well, Gold Standard is both tricker and more poorly written than the AAMC exams, so, you'd likely score better on an AAMC. BUT, definitely not a 30+ level, unfortunately.

I'd have to agree with Doc Henry, you're screwed. Since you're already stuck paying for it, take it, and void it. JM.02

In your situation, I wouldn't be worried about your writing score more than the other sections. Typically, the writing score doesn't hold nearly as much weight as the numerical score. Hence, focus on your numerical score above all else at this point. The highest yield method I know for these cases is to do a practice MCAT every single day and THOROUGHLY analyze it. Expect to spend at least 8+ hours every day studying. The problems with this method are that not many can withstand it, it still doesn't guarantee a good score, and you use up practice tests for a possible retake.

It was incredibly short-sighted to start studying now. If you couldn't find the time to study, you shouldn't have wasted your money signing up for the test. Considering your low practice score and complete lack of studying, you shouldn't take the MCAT. Take three months, study, and then take it. As of now, you're setting yourself up for a highly disadvantageous circumstance.

Members don't see this ad :)
In your situation, I wouldn't be worried about your writing score more than the other sections. Typically, the writing score doesn't hold nearly as much weight as the numerical score. Hence, focus on your numerical score above all else at this point. The highest yield method I know for these cases is to do a practice MCAT every single day and THOROUGHLY analyze it. Expect to spend at least 8+ hours every day studying. The problems with this method are that not many can withstand it, it still doesn't guarantee a good score, and you use up practice tests for a possible retake.

It was incredibly short-sighted to start studying now. If you couldn't find the time to study, you shouldn't have wasted your money signing up for the test. Considering your low practice score and complete lack of studying, you shouldn't take the MCAT. Take three months, study, and then take it. As of now, you're setting yourself up for a highly disadvantageous circumstance.

Completely agree. I tried studying for less than a month for the MCAT and did NOT have good results. Since you're stuck anyway, just try to study some stuff you're weak on, take the test and void it. Use it as a learning experience, since you really shouldn't be there anyway.

Wow, now I'm more worried than before. I know I should have started studying before.. Since I paid for it, I will go ahead and take it. I'm taking another practice test, let's see how that goes. Thanks.

:confused:

When I first read this title, I was thinking "what you're crazy!!" but part of me thought I'd be the only one to think this, maybe i overstudied. Glad to see you all agree with me. To the OP, take it and void it if uyou don't think you did well. In the meantime I agree with the one who said study 8+ hours a day until then.

Thanks for the advice. So what would be a good date to take if I am applying this year? June 13th, July 8th, July 10th, July 18th, or August 5th. Also, what are my benefits of being considered as an early applicant? I heard there are early admissions; when is the deadline and what are the benefits? Sorry, these questions may be redundant, but I am clueless about this whole process.

Thanks.

Take as much time as you need to get a good MCAT. Don't worry about applying early. If your MCAT was a 25, it wouldn't matter if you were the first applicant at every school. Worry about the MCAT, THEN worry about admission. It's not like it would kill you to wait another year. Think of it as a chance to build up more ECs.

Hmm, that is true. I decided to go ahead and retake the test sometime in July and keep applying. Hopefully, there is some school out there that wants me. Thanks everyone.