Ahhh!!!!! I'm Going Insane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forevalwayzz

Clueless member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought taking the MCAT was it but apparently, choosing which school to apply to is also diff as hell... I dont know if I should add more school to make sure that I wont take a year off or take off school to save money. I have been reading and reading and reading and choosing, but can't make up my mind... if you can give me your opinion, it would be great appreciated. Some brief info about me: gpa. 4.0/30Q (11V, 9P, 10B), TX resident, going to a good private university in OH (Case Western), above avg ECs i guess. LORs are not a prob, polishing my PS right now... If you say I should take the MCAT again, i will surely kick ur a** cuz i dont want to go through it, one is too many. The school i'm considering are:
UT-Houston
UT-Dallas (Southwestern)
UT-San Antonio
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Columbia University College of P & S
Duke University School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Mayo Medical School
Stanford University School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine
Yale University School of Medicine
I'm not sure if any of those only accept in-state resident (except the TX ones) so if you think i should apply to another school, please list them on here, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

University of Washington is pretty much instate only. The other ones look good. I would think you're pretty much guaranteed one of the Texas school so having a lot of top tier schools shouldn't be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
MadameLULU said:
Apply to -ALL- the TX schools.
I thought of the TX schools as my backups (except for Southwestern) but there are some that i just do not want to go to... considering UT-Galveston right now...

Your list essentially consists of the top ten, plus several other schools. With that in mind, you may want to add a few more mid-range schools, and toss in a few safeties just for peace of mind. The TX school suggestion is a good one.

I might add Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, and/or EVMS into the mix. All lower tier and so would be good to have at least one just in case.

forevalwayzz said:
I thought of the TX schools as my backups (except for Southwestern) but there are some that i just do not want to go to... considering UT-Galveston right now...

i understand where you are coming from, but most of the schools you listed are quite competitive. You stand the best chance of getting accepted at your state school, so why not apply to all of them. The TMDSAS is so cheap and there aren't that many secondaries so it doesn't hurt to add the other schools...just my $.02

MadameLULU said:
i understand where you are coming from, but most of the schools you listed are quite competitive. You stand the best chance of getting accepted at your state school, so why not apply to all of them. The TMDSAS is so cheap and there aren't that many secondaries so it doesn't hurt to add the other schools...just my $.02
I guess it wouldn't hurt since most do not require secondary.

I think you already have the bulk of the TX schools anyways - the only one I might add is UTMB... it may be in Galveston, but it does have an up and coming program that might work out for you. The others (A&M, Tech, TCOM) might be waste since your application looks strong enough (and I'm not sure if it would be worth the cost of flights down for interviews from Cleveland to College Station, Lubbock, etc...)

how hard is it to get into texas schools if you are not a texas resident? I live in california. However, I do have some extended family roots in texas that I can mention.

forevalwayzz said:
I thought taking the MCAT was it but apparently, choosing which school to apply to is also diff as hell... I dont know if I should add more school to make sure that I wont take a year off or take off school to save money. I have been reading and reading and reading and choosing, but can't make up my mind... if you can give me your opinion, it would be great appreciated. Some brief info about me: gpa. 4.0/30Q (11V, 9P, 10B), TX resident, going to a good private university in OH (Case Western), above avg ECs i guess. LORs are not a prob, polishing my PS right now... If you say I should take the MCAT again, i will surely kick ur a** cuz i dont want to go through it, one is too many. The school i'm considering are:
UT-Houston
UT-Dallas (Southwestern)
UT-San Antonio
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Columbia University College of P & S
Duke University School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Mayo Medical School
Stanford University School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine
Yale University School of Medicine
I'm not sure if any of those only accept in-state resident (except the TX ones) so if you think i should apply to another school, please list them on here, thanks

oh man you're from TX, one of the best states tthat a premed can be from! :rolleyes:

Take UWashington off your list. Only out of state people are in WAMII program or URMs or have a VERY strongly demonstrated interest in serving those in need.

Apply to all TX schools.

Maybe add a couple less competitive schools?? But you will almost certainly get into a TX school, so maybe no need to do that.

UWash is off, now I'm sad, but the advices help greatly, keep them coming.

forevalwayzz said:
UWash is off, now I'm sad, but the advices help greatly, keep them coming.

I would realize that top 10 schools might be a crapshoot without a 35+ MCAT. However, if you want a school that is a ranked school, schools more like NYU, Mt. Sinai, Ohio State, University of Chicago(Pritzker) would be the schools I would consider.

I would also consider schools like NYMC, Albany, SLU, GWU, BU, Tufts, etc.

These are schools that you might have a better shot at getting into with a 30 MCAT.

Also, I would apply to schools like Rosalind Franklin and Drexel as Cammy pointed out.