SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Ahhhh....advice please?!

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by DRPL, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRPL

DRPL 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Thought I'd post among peers as well.....(posted in reapplicant area also)

Sorry I know this area is plauged with "what would you do"s, but I really would appreciate any suggestions. Okay here goes...

I am by now considered a non-trad. since I am 27. I have successfully completed a post-bac. I've done volunteer work, good ecs, shadowed surgeons, DOs, FPs, etc. I applied to only a couple schools two years in a row. This was mostly b/c my school had an agreement with a DO school....that did not work out for me due to MCAT scores (at the last second). Each time I heard REALLY late....took the next test late....applied late, you get it. I also applied to a NP program at my state school, just in case- waitlisted and never taken off.

Last July, getting ready to take the MCAT again (for 3rd time in August), I witnessed 2 of my best friends get hit by a car while we were walking. They survived, but it has been a difficult thing to deal with and needless to say I was in no shape to retest in August. I began searching for alternatives as time seemed to slip away, out of the application cycle for a year. I decided an accelerated NP program was the way to go.

I applied to 2 schools, my state school and another in Boston. I was rejected by state (probably bc I only submitted mcat scores again/not gres), waitlisted by boston's. This year I took Anatomy/Phys I & II at the community college- A and A+. (While it wasn't cadaver based, I work in a morgue so I know where things are...) So.....deflated but not scathed by my mounting rejections- I decided to study for the MCAT AGAIN. I was going to become a doctor....as planned. I retook on May11th. I felt better than ever before..... What arrives 3 days later? Acceptance off waitlist.

So now, I have an acceptance (bird in hand) to become a NP......but I just studied my tush off for the MCAT. I would ideally love to go to my state school for md- great school, better tuition, have a home, friends, bf, etc (2 in the tree). I was all set to also apply DO and Carib. if neccessary.

But what if nothing happens for me again! I will be pissed if I had given up the chance to be a NP.....

If I do attend this NP program....and then decide I want to still go to med school.....won't adcoms look down upon "quitting a program"?

AHHHHHH..............help.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Phoenix.

Phoenix. Emdee Jaydee Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jun 29, 2005
    MDApps:
    Your state of residence, gpa and previous MCAT scores might help others on in this forum give you advice. Also, what were your practice scores looking like right before you took the May 11th MCAT this time?

Also, is there a deadline to respond to the NP offer? Is it possible to wait until your MCAT scores come out in mid-June to make your decision then? If an MD is your dream, I think you should wait to see your MCAT scores. If you'd be happy following the NP path.... It's really up to you what would make you happy.

Good luck!

4. DRPL

DRPL 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Thanks for the tid-bit....I live in VT. They favor in-state....but you need a 7 in each cat. for consideration. I took orgo the same time as the 1st mcat- 21Q (5p9v7b):eek:. The next time, my advisor/mentor was killed the week before - 23P (6p8v9b) :eek:. My GPA undergrad- 3.0, post bac...around a 3.6 I think. I am a female & minority. My practice scores were in the high 20s, occasional low 30s. I really needed to focus on the PS part....which I did. My anat/phys. classes helped a lot with raising BS. And verbal is always strong for me (except freaking out during the actual exam).....usually score 11. I felt really good during that section this time.

NP- 1st check needed by 5/25......need to start a $1,200 class on Tues., and then $900 more in classes by June 11th start!

5. Phoenix.

Phoenix. Emdee Jaydee Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jun 29, 2005
    MDApps:
    Any chance they'd let you defer a year/semester? I know nothing about that, but perhaps it's something to look into?

6. DRPL

DRPL 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I have thought of that...not sure if they do that............

7. njbmd

njbmd Guest Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

May 30, 2001
    Gone Walkabout!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.