Aim for... Allopathic or Osteopathic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PNWisBest

Graduated in 2012 with a B.A. in Business
cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.5 ( Now a CA Resident)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do a search, people with worst stats than you are still aiming for and do get into allopathic schools. Limited research isn't going to stink your app unless your aim is to get into schools like Harvard, UCSF, etc.

If you do a search, people with worst stats than you are still aiming for and do get into allopathic schools. Limited research isn't going to stink your app unless your aim is to get into schools like Harvard, UCSF, etc.

If UCSF is on my dream list, how much research is the norm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
If UCSF is on my dream list, do I need to seek out a year of research to make it happen? Or more?

There is no exact formula because there are too many variables in play. It's not like there is a cutoff for the amount of research you do. Quality matters, whether or not you get published matters, your LORs matters. All these things may open the door to an interview, how you perform during the interview matters as well.

If you are going to be attending a post-bacc program for two years, why not do research during that time as well? If anything, the research experience will just open more doors for you assuming you maintain high grades and get a great MCAT score.

There is no exact formula because there are too many variables in play. It's not like there is a cutoff for the amount of research you do. Quality matters, whether or not you get published matters, your LORs matters. All these things may open the door to an interview, how you perform during the interview matters as well.

If you are going to be attending a post-bacc program for two years, why not do research during that time as well? If anything, the research experience will just open more doors for you assuming you maintain high grades and get a great MCAT score.

Thanks for advice. I am going to ask my academic advisor if there are any research opportunities at the school or any connections in that field. :)

Thanks for advice. I am going to ask my academic advisor if there are any research opportunities at the school or any connections in that field. :)

Best way to find research opportunities is to ask professors directly. It's also important to have the right chemistry (no pun intended) with the professor.

Quality matters, whether or not you get published matters, your LORs matters. All these things may open the door to an interview, how you perform during the interview matters as well.
There is no exact formula because there are too many variables in play. It's not like there is a cutoff for the amount of research you do.

These are great articles. :thumbup:

You might read about osteopathic medicine and begin to truly appreciate the model of care, like I did as I was writing my DO essays. A.T. Still's philosophy is fascinating and relevant as ever in light of the chronic diseases (.e.g. diabetes and obesity) that continue to rise in prevalence.

Reactions: 1 user