Thinking about medicine:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TS2354

Reaction score
I am a 26 year old community college student who is trying to figure out what to major in. I met with the career services office at my school not that long ago after taking an aptitude assessment called You Science. The assessment told me that Anesthesiology would be a fair fit and that other specialties were a weak fit. I take this with a grain of salt considering that I just started college for the first time and the only science I have had is an introductory course in Chemistry. I didn’t go to college right out of high school. Since I did not know exactly what I wanted to do. I didn’t do that well in high school. My very first semester of college I had to take a remedial math course. I had to take an introductory course in Chemistry as well. I have doubts about even trying to pursue medicine. Since I attend a community college and will not possess a strong academic background compared to the people that went straight to a four year university. I realize I am still young and could still do this in the long run. I am not afraid to be in my early 30s applying to medical school. I am single and have no kids and will be 27 this upcoming November. I have also reached out to a local university’s psych department to have an IQ test administered. Lately, I have been doing a lot to learn about myself. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd start with shadowing a physician to see if you would even enjoy the work.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd start with shadowing a physician to see if you would even enjoy the work.
I currently work in a hospital as a Nursing Assistant and have interacted and worked with them. I work at an academic level one trauma center. I’ve worked there for over two years now.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don’t mind the question, may I ask why you want to have an IQ test administered?

Regarding your concern about not possessing a strong academic background based on where you are now, it is possible to get a good academic foundation while there. If your school offers academic services like tutoring, individual mentoring and other learning support services, do take advantage of them in order to do well in your classes now as well to figure out what fits your learning style. Four year schools, especially larger ones, may not have similar services readily available. It’s good you are learning about yourself. Learning how you learn could serve well if you do decide to go on the premed route.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don’t mind the question, may I ask why you want to have an IQ test administered?

Regarding your concern about not possessing a strong academic background based on where you are now, it is possible to get a good academic foundation while there. If your school offers academic services like tutoring, individual mentoring and other learning support services, do take advantage of them in order to do well in your classes now as well to figure out what fits your learning style. Four year schools, especially larger ones, may not have similar services readily available. It’s good you are learning about yourself. Learning how you learn could serve well if you do decide to go on the premed route.
I would like to know what my IQ is in general. I was watching a video by Jordan Petersen who is a Psychologist from Canada. In his video he talks about the ranges of IQ scores and what professions they correlate with in general. From what I remember from the video those in the range of 120 and up were Physicians. I do plan on getting a good academic foundations where I am at currently. Especially in math and science particularly. I have been doing well in the math courses that I have currently taken so far. I believe that if I can develop a strong academic foundation in the math and sciences at my current school. Then I can transfer and be successful to the school that I am thinking about transferring to. We do have learning support services at my school such as tutoring. Also we have access to office hours as well.

I would like to know what my IQ is in general. I was watching a video by Jordan Petersen who is a Psychologist from Canada. In his video he talks about the ranges of IQ scores and what professions they correlate with in general. From what I remember from the video those in the range of 120 and up were Physicians. I do plan on getting a good academic foundations where I am at currently. Especially in math and science particularly. I have been doing well in the math courses that I have currently taken so far. I believe that if I can develop a strong academic foundation in the math and sciences at my current school. Then I can transfer and be successful to the school that I am thinking about transferring to. We do have learning support services at my school such as tutoring. Also we have access to office hours as well.
Oh boy.

First, Petersen is, to put it mildly, highly controversial in his views, especially about "meritocracy" as he defines it. Second, IQ is a label that is useful for targeting interventions in formal education - it was invented to find intellectual disabilities - so tying your self-worth, or "potential" in any profession on that number is precisely not what it is usable for. Correlation, causation, etc.

Exactly nobody will care if you get 130 or 85. You either succeed in the game or you don't. You can, of course, screen yourself out either by waving your score around like it means anything, or talk yourself out of trying.

Source: math PhD who worked with clinical psychologists in gifted education, and has published on psychometrics.

PS: I can count a litany of people I know who have tested 140+ and are underachieving, dropouts, and/or have committed suicide.

Reactions: 5 users
Oh boy.

First, Petersen is, to put it mildly, highly controversial in his views, especially about "meritocracy" as he defines it. Second, IQ is a label that is useful for targeting interventions in formal education - it was invented to find intellectual disabilities - so tying your self-worth, or "potential" in any profession on that number is precisely not what it is usable for. Correlation, causation, etc.

Exactly nobody will care if you get 130 or 85. You either succeed in the game or you don't. You can, of course, screen yourself out either by waving your score around like it means anything, or talk yourself out of trying.

Source: math PhD who worked with clinical psychologists in gifted education, and has published on psychometrics.

PS: I can count a litany of people I know who have tested 140+ and are underachieving, dropouts, and/or have committed suicide.
I really don’t see the point then in taking an IQ test then. So far I have been doing well in school. I didn’t go to college right after high school. So, I have to rebuild my math and science skills. Plenty of people are out there who don’t want to put in the work. I am not afraid to put in the work to be successful.

Reactions: 1 users
I really don’t see the point then in taking an IQ test then. So far I have been doing well in school. I didn’t go to college right after high school. So, I have to rebuild my math and science skills. Plenty of people are out there who don’t want to put in the work. I am not afraid to put in the work to be successful.
Something I was taught as an intern: if you’re thinking of ordering a test, but are going to do exactly the same thing regardless of the result, then don’t order the test.

Sounds like that wisdom applies here too.

Reactions: 3 users
Something I was taught as an intern: if you’re thinking of ordering a test, but are going to do exactly the same thing regardless of the result, then don’t order the test.

Sounds like that wisdom applies here too.
Therefore going through undergrad and medical school after making the decision to do so regardless of taking an IQ test. If I would have taken it and learned my score that still wouldn’t change my decision. So again why take it.

Reactions: 1 users