Aiming for PM&R - MS3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nybsm786

Reaction score
3rd year med student here - I plan on doing residency in the tri state area (20+ programs here) or worst case somewhere in the northeast. No red flags or issues with my app.

I have a few experiences shadowing, working and volunteering in different rehab/sports places and will be solely applying to PM&R. Passed step 1/level 1. Getting a few PM&R LOR from dept chairs, but not from crazy institutions. I have 3 research projects in process related to msk.

I've seen PM&R have pretty bad match stats the past few years and it's definitely a mildly competitive specialty now. My school historically does pretty well with PMR but I meet all kinds of people who don't match from DO schools for the past few years and ended up doing family med or something, which is a huge no no for me.

My question was - what kind of step 2 score should I aim for to be set for PM&R? There's no other specialty I'd do - I'm honestly set on this, I'd rather take gap years and reapply, vs. do FM/IM. Any advice for networking? I was cold emailing people nearby to shadow, but a lot of PM&R people are just private practice and not really involved in academia or residency programs. It's not like neurosurg let's say where most neurosurgeons could probably connect you well to programs due to the inpatient nature of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3rd year med student at DO school here - I plan on doing residency in the tri state area (20+ programs here) or worst case somewhere in the northeast. No red flags or issues with my app.

I have a few experiences shadowing, working and volunteering in different rehab/sports places and will be solely applying to PM&R. Passed step 1/level 1. Getting a few PM&R LOR from dept chairs, but not from crazy institutions. I have 3 research projects in process related to msk.

I've seen PM&R have pretty bad match stats the past few years and it's definitely a mildly competitive specialty now. My school historically does pretty well with PMR but I meet all kinds of people who don't match from DO schools for the past few years and ended up doing family med or something, which is a huge no no for me.

My question was - what kind of step 2 score should I aim for to be set for PM&R? There's no other specialty I'd do - I'm honestly set on this, I'd rather take gap years and reapply, vs. do FM/IM. Any advice for networking? I was cold emailing people nearby to shadow, but a lot of PM&R people are just private practice and not really involved in academia or residency programs. It's not like neurosurg let's say where most neurosurgeons could probably connect you well to programs due to the inpatient nature of it.

I saw once you get to a 240 you're chance of matching is high (kid from my school didn't match with high 240's though) and 250 you're set.

PM&R has gotten far more competitive however I don't think there is such a high emphasis on scores as other specialties. I'd say getting good experience/rotations in PM&R, good letters, is far more important. Obviously there are more applicants than spots at this time in general, so some people not matching is something that will happen. While high scores are never going to hurt, trying to get good experience I think is the most important aspect of this specialty.

echo the above. generally, programs tend to look for a themed application that involves PM&R related projects/activities which demonstrate your commitment to the field. There tends to not be a "minimum" step score cut-off that is often present in other fields. I think you'll be fine, my friend!

Members don't see this ad :)
As a DO, you do have a disadvantage. I was the only DO in my entire program (20+ residents) and that was several years ago. I believe it has gotten worse since then. Who knows if I would even match again if I applied today?

It sounds like you are already doing it, but following the last few years match is a good way to predict what you need in test scores to match. Then maybe add a few points as it gets more competitive each year, especially since you are a DO. Scores are becoming increasingly important in your application. Not yet so much as other fields, but it will continue to climb as the field becomes more competitive.

Your best bet for matching as a DO is to have good clinical rotations with an academic program. If you already have 3 LORs from chairs then you must have done some good rotating. Ideally, you would want to rotate at some residency programs.

On a side note, DO programs have mostly self-created this problem by increasing the number of students they take at a high rate and opening up school after school. Unfortunately, there are a lot of DO students thinking the same things you are. A big reason PM&R has gotten more competitive is because there are more and more students who are applying. Naturally, the match rate will go down and the requirements to get in get harder.

Personally, I have worked with students at some of the newer DO schools and they were functioning at a lower level than their peers (small sample size). I think many academic residency programs (which are historically allopathic) also see that and have been grouping DOs as a lump sum lowest denominator. My advice is to shine above your peers to successfully match as a DO.

Reactions: 1 user
As a current M4 DO going through it, let me tell you what I've learned. Last year the match rate for DOs into PM&R was 63%. Dramatically lower than what it was 2 years ago, when the last charting outcomes were released. There are just too many applicants applying for too few spots. PM&R still values things like dedication to the field, being a team player, etc, but because there are so many applicants now, scores do matter. I have attached below the match rates for each group of step scores for DOs. With step 1 being pass/fail for you, I assume the top figure doesn't apply. To statistically have a decent chance of matching, you want to score above a 240 on step 2. Scoring above a 240 gets you an 83% chance of matching. It's honestly mind blowing that scoring between a 231 and 240 now equates to a 63% chance of matching. I say this not to scare you, but to light a fire under you to really try and dominate the test. I scored >255 on step 2, and I think it's been the biggest reason why I've been lucky enough to have a lot of interviews compared to my peers.
1670854376537.png

On top of doing well on step 2, I would set up at least 3 audition rotations at places you would call "mid to reach" programs. Most institutions have a policy that if you rotate with them, they send you an interview. Ideally, I personally wouldn't do a sub-I at your home institution or a community program, because they have a higher likelihood to send you an interview regardless. Doing auditions at competitive programs maximizes the amount of interviews you receive and allows you to get letters from known people within the field. Additionally, now there is the supplemental application in ERAS where you can signal up to 4 programs and up to 3 geographical regions. This is the first year they are doing it and it is here to stay. Similar to setting up your audition rotations, you want to signal programs that you would call mid to reach. Do not signal a program you have rotated at, because it is a waste of signal. You want to have a long rank list when you submit your application, at least 10. If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask. Can help you with transitional year/prelim info as well.

Reactions: 4 users
As a current M4 DO going through it, let me tell you what I've learned. Last year the match rate for DOs into PM&R was 63%. Dramatically lower than what it was 2 years ago, when the last charting outcomes were released. There are just too many applicants applying for too few spots. PM&R still values things like dedication to the field, being a team player, etc, but because there are so many applicants now, scores do matter. I have attached below the match rates for each group of step scores for DOs. With step 1 being pass/fail for you, I assume the top figure doesn't apply. To statistically have a decent chance of matching, you want to score above a 240 on step 2. Scoring above a 240 gets you an 83% chance of matching. It's honestly mind blowing that scoring between a 231 and 240 now equates to a 63% chance of matching. I say this not to scare you, but to light a fire under you to really try and dominate the test. I scored >255 on step 2, and I think it's been the biggest reason why I've been lucky enough to have a lot of interviews compared to my peers.
View attachment 363190

On top of doing well on step 2, I would set up at least 3 audition rotations at places you would call "mid to reach" programs. Most institutions have a policy that if you rotate with them, they send you an interview. Ideally, I personally wouldn't do a sub-I at your home institution or a community program, because they have a higher likelihood to send you an interview regardless. Doing auditions at competitive programs maximizes the amount of interviews you receive and allows you to get letters from known people within the field. Additionally, now there is the supplemental application in ERAS where you can signal up to 4 programs and up to 3 geographical regions. This is the first year they are doing it and it is here to stay. Similar to setting up your audition rotations, you want to signal programs that you would call mid to reach. Do not signal a program you have rotated at, because it is a waste of signal. You want to have a long rank list when you submit your application, at least 10. If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask. Can help you with transitional year/prelim info as well.

Out of curiosity how is the P/F USMLE step 1 working with students - I imagine less stressful? I remember that being a bear of a test.

Out of curiosity how is the P/F USMLE step 1 working with students - I imagine less stressful? I remember that being a bear of a test.
I'm not too sure actually. I was the last class that had a numerical score for step 1. However, some programs have begun blinding step 1 scores this cycle to prepare for P/F. Anecdotally, I have heard a greater proportion of students are now failing step 1 because there is not as much perceived pressure to perform. I honestly don't feel like it changed much. Less pressure for step 1, but more pressure for step 2. Seems to be a net no change.

Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 363190

Thank you for that write up. Trying to pm you but it's not working.

How many interviews did you get if you don't mind me asking, with a >255?

Thank you for that write up. Trying to pm you but it's not working.

How many interviews did you get if you don't mind me asking, with a >255?
Sorry about that. I changed my settings, you should be able to PM now. I received 12 interviews, on the higher end compared to my DO peers, but still less than I thought I would have totaled. In retrospect I should have applied to every program in the country, I left off about 15 programs.