Air Force AEGD/HPSP Commitment Regrets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Dee

Reaction score
Hello

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is it about the program you find difficult/challenging? How do you think those things will change in private practice once you’re done with your service commitment? What did you “expect” from the residency and how is it different?
Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be clear the patient care isn't really the issue it's just about everything else such as expectations, work environment, the feeling of still being in dental school with much more scrutiny. Truthfully, this feels much more like a punishment than training. I'd rather not divulge into all the details but needless to say it is less than pleasant and unsure if there has been a benefit to this as of yet.

Unfortunately this is leadership dependent than the residency itself

If you have a micromanagement type setting yes you are gonna feel like that but if your leadership is laid back then its more strive to shine kind if setting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think every military dentist has a moment or moments when they wonder "what have I gotten myself into?".
The AEGD year was one of the hardest of my life personally and professionally. It will get better.

THIS!!

It's unfortunate to ask but has anyone heard of some form of resignation or being able to walk away from this? It's one of those subjects where I'd rather not ask leadership about it for the sake of saving myself from any type of retribution or chastisement.
To be honest, there is no one to ask that can get you real/honest info that won't result in some sort of unintended consequence. As it stands you are under contract and it will require VERY hard discussions with leaders all the way through your chain to get out of it. Even if you called AFMOA(Is this what it is called now a days?) or the General Dentistry consultant, your leadership will find out. I am familiar with a hand full of cases where people were able to get out of their contracts that weren't Big AF driven cuts. My point is, it is a huge gamble to try and get out of the contract because there is no easy route and if it doesn't work out, your life will likely just get more difficult. I'd be happy to talk to you more about it through DM if you prefer.

I'm sorry I'm applying for the hpsp scholarship. Can I get more details of what is going on so I can decide whether to run or not. Plz :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.