Air Force Air Force AEGD question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Kube of Kubes

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I’ll be applying for the Air Force 3 year scholarship during my D1, but I had a question regarding their mandatory AEGD program. I received a PDF from my recruiter and I was wondering if I was clear on this one part. It reads “This program is in place as a transitional year for HPSP students who do not match to a full categorical residency. This AEGD-1 does NOT count toward the ADSC.”

Is this saying that if you can match into residency, let’s say OMFS, right out of dental school, you can start immediately in place for your AEGD?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I’ll be applying for the Air Force 3 year scholarship during my D1, but I had a question regarding their mandatory AEGD program. I received a PDF from my recruiter and I was wondering if I was clear on this one part. It reads “This program is in place as a transitional year for HPSP students who do not match to a full categorical residency. This AEGD-1 does NOT count toward the ADSC.”

Is this saying that if you can match into residency, let’s say OMFS, right out of dental school, you can start immediately in place for your AEGD?

This could be different for Air Force than it is for Army, but in the Army it is mandatory to apply for the AEGD, but not mandatory to accept it.

If you are accepted to a categorical residency, you usually begin that a full year after you graduate due to the start date, so the year after you complete dental school is a snowbird year working as a general dentist (I would imagine they would not want you taking up an AEGD spot if this is the case).

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
This could be different for Air Force than it is for Army, but in the Army it is mandatory to apply for the AEGD, but not mandatory to accept it.

If you are accepted to a categorical residency, you usually begin that a full year after you graduate due to the start date, so the year after you complete dental school is a snowbird year working as a general dentist (I would imagine they would not want you taking up an AEGD spot if this is the case).

Hope that helps.

It is different for the Air Force, you are required to apply and accept an AEGD slot unless accepted to perio, prosth, or OMFS (you can’t apply to any others straight out of dental school).
The rest of what you mentioned is the same.
In the event you get one of the other three, you will work as a general dentist for a year and then start your residency in the specialty you matched into.