Air Force CCAT teams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rock Star

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone educate me on the training for Air force CCAT teams. How long is training, etc...

Happy Veterans day!!!!!

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone educate me on the training for Air force CCAT teams. How long is training, etc...

Happy Veterans day!!!!!

thanks

There are three components to a CCATT (Critical Care Air Transport Team), a respiratory tech, a nurse, and a physician who is generally an anesthesiologist, an emergency doc, a general internist, a general surgeon, or a pulmonologist. They generally deploy for four months at a time to Bagram, Balad, Al Udeid, or Landstuhl. The CCATT training is pretty brief, but you generally do it as a team, and I think it was a week long. The physician I know on the CCATT here was pretty underwhelmed but said it was useful to see how little the other two knew so he could be prepared to do it all if he had to! Given the fact that he is averaging 1 mission every 2 weeks out here, it probably doesn't matter much. He's getting hellagood at monopoly though, smoked me again last night. If you want an email for more specifics, PM me your email and I'll pass it along to him.

CCATT course is two weeks long, at Brooks City Base in San Antonio, TX. Mostly classroom, with a couple of hours in the back of a plane. Mostly going over how to do what you do in a hospital in the air. Two days of altitude physiology to learn what happens to the body at altitude, as well as a chamber ride so you know how your body responds to hypoxemia.

Most imporatant part of the class was equipment familiarization, learning how to use the equipment the team gets, as well as how to package and prepare patients for transport.

As far as medical training, it isn't there.