Air Force FM/IM Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hdt123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a 4th year HPSP student hoping to match Family Medicine in the Air Force. I’m also still toying with the thought of IM. I have no major red flags (ie no course/board failures) though my board scores aren’t the best - passed step 1/bottom quartile step 2 and am in the bottom half in my class rank. No stellar research or extracurricular activities. I noticed on HPERB this year there were less FM slots in general, with fewer AD residency training slots than previous years and 20 civilian deferred slots. I realize there is no crystal ball but does anyone have a pulse on how likely a below average applicant is to match into an AD residency program vs getting sent civilian deferred or sent PGY1? I have enjoyed all of my ADTs so far and would be happy matching at any of the programs. I’m obviously planning to apply broadly through ERAS and interview for PGY-1 slots as well, though hoping to avoid it.

I’ve searched and haven’t found anything here more recent than 2009, so I apologize if this post is redundant and I’ve just missed the information somewhere. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.