Air Force HPSP Pharmacy 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Skiandpharm

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am starting my first semester of pharmacy school (3 yr program) and have been looking at how much loans I'm going to have. My school suggested the Air Force HPSP for the last 2 years of school. My wife is somewhat on board just wants to find more info first. I know if I talk to a recruiter he'll just tell me what I want to hear. I know it's a year for year trade off with a minimum of 3 yrs, I'll have to do COT training but just want to talk to someone who is doing it or even someone who has graduated and is working off their time now!
 
I can only speak from the perspective of an Army soldier who was on the same base with Air Force personnel. They were paid a differential because our living conditions were considered drastically inferior to the "Air Force Standard." Beyond that, anyone who is an officer in the military is going to find it's an excellent career that is very rewarding. That, and with the current job market is makes perfect sense to lower your student loan debt, AND have a guaranteed paycheck for X number of years while you fulfill your contract. It's not like you'll be in front lines combat as a freakin pharmacist.

I say go for it. Sure you will make less money, but you're not going to be stuck unemployed right after you graduate like many people. Some money is better than NO money. Also looks good on the Resume; amazing leadership training.
 
See if they are even accepting people first. I had heard this year they didn't even have any slots.

I am in the same shoes now . I have a kid and wife, and have been accepted in a pharmacy school, but my friends who are current in pharmacy school are discouraging me from joining the AF. But I am currently talking to a recruiter to apply for the HPSP program. I do still hope the recruiter is telling me the truth And I also hope if it's the truth I be chosen for the position.