Air Force HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Japo237

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to dental school right now and I am also interested in applying to for Air Force HPSP. I have a 4.0 GPA and scored a 23 on the DAT. Does anyone have any experience with the program that can give me pros and cons. I have heard that the Air Force has the nicest clinics and has the most advanced AEGD residency program. I have the resume to get into a top tier dental school but don’t want to pay $400,000 dollars for it. Is it of more value to try for the Air Force scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

I cant speak from experience because I am also applying for dental school and hpsp this cycle but every resource on sdn that I have seen says Air Force is the least "military life" like. value is objective and some may value the opportunities in the Army over Air Force or vise versa. with that being said, you are still committing 4-5 years of time in service and the majority of people will hate their lives if they do it just for the money. Think of some reasons why and do some research and see if the scholarship is worth its value.

I am applying to dental school right now and I am also interested in applying to for Air Force HPSP. I have a 4.0 GPA and scored a 23 on the DAT. Does anyone have any experience with the program that can give me pros and cons. I have heard that the Air Force has the nicest clinics and has the most advanced AEGD residency program. I have the resume to get into a top tier dental school but don’t want to pay $400,000 dollars for it. Is it of more value to try for the Air Force scholarship?
A lot can change over the next 8-9 years of your life. Taking the scholarship means you will not have control of where you live for 5 years after graduation of dental school. If you have a family, make sure they’re okay with that. If you don’t, just keep in mind that this will factor into any serious relationship. You will have to move for your AEGD and then to your next assignment and you do not necessarily have much say in where these are.

I have posted recently about my AEGD experience. It was overwhelmingly good. My next assignment left a lot to be desired in terms of dentistry. I would not decide to go to an expensive private school just because you can have HPSP cover it. If you can go to a state school, I would not do HPSP and have more control over your life. That being said, if you apply now you can keep your options open.
If you want to apply, you can do it without an acceptance and I would recommend starting the process sooner than later.
Everyone’s experience is different, but the military obligations are the same regardless. I would not recommend HPSP for financial reasons alone.
I do not regret the military, I would do it again. However, there are definitely significant compromises.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot can change over the next 8-9 years of your life. Taking the scholarship means you will not have control of where you live for 5 years after graduation of dental school. If you have a family, make sure they’re okay with that. If you don’t, just keep in mind that this will factor into any serious relationship. You will have to move for your AEGD and then to your next assignment and you do not necessarily have much say in where these are.

I have posted recently about my AEGD experience. It was overwhelmingly good. My next assignment left a lot to be desired in terms of dentistry. I would not decide to go to an expensive private school just because you can have HPSP cover it. If you can go to a state school, I would not do HPSP and have more control over your life. That being said, if you apply now you can keep your options open.
If you want to apply, you can do it without an acceptance and I would recommend starting the process sooner than later.
Everyone’s experience is different, but the military obligations are the same regardless. I would not recommend HPSP for financial reasons alone.
I do not regret the military, I would do it again. However, there are definitely significant compromises.

what’s your next duty station? Overseas?

Which branch were you in for HPSP?

I was recently accepted for the 4 year AF HPSP scholarship. Shadowed multiple air force dentists as well, so if you have any specific questions regarding the program or lifestyle just let me know. Every civilian dentist that I've spoken to throughout the years has told me that they wish they would've enrolled in an HPSP scholarship.

Reactions: 3 users

Would you mind describing these compromises a bit? Not looking for an exhaustive list, but rather pointing out some of the real "pain points" that an applicant might not be fully aware of prior to starting military service. I'm an older candidate applying to dental school and the AF HPSP. I'm not yet 100% sure I would do the AF if accepted, but would like to have the option.

I was recently accepted for the 4 year AF HPSP scholarship. Shadowed multiple air force dentists as well, so if you have any specific questions regarding the program or lifestyle just let me know. Every civilian dentist that I've spoken to throughout the years has told me that they wish they would've enrolled in an HPSP scholarship.

Hello! I just finished my interview with the AF last week... I was just wondering what they really look for. I heard the AF 4 yr HPSP is super competitive. Also how is your life as a dentist in the AF?

Hello! I just finished my interview with the AF last week... I was just wondering what they really look for. I heard the AF 4 yr HPSP is super competitive. Also how is your life as a dentist in the AF?
If you want a scholarship do not count on just the Air Force. Apply to the other branches.

If you want a scholarship do not count on just the Air Force. Apply to the other branches.
I talked to both AF and Army and both recruiters told me that I need to pick one branch before I do any paperwork...

I talked to both AF and Army and both recruiters told me that I need to pick one branch before I do any paperwork...
Try to go forward with it and say nothing about other branches of service. It's none of their business what you do. This is your future and you have every right to apply to multiple scholarships to give yourself the best chance of receiving one.

That's BS. Call the recruiter in another area and ask them for help.

Hey, how was your interview? I've got one coming up Monday and I'm not sure what to expect, is it similar to dental school interviews?

I know the HPSP is competitive for the Air Force, but does anyone know how many scholarships are offered a year?

My interviewer did not know how many scholarships are offered, but she did say the AF is offering fewer scholarships than usual this year

My interviewer did not know how many scholarships are offered, but she did say the AF is offering fewer scholarships than usual this year
Dang fewer than normal? My interviewer said they normally offer 5-6

The average stats for this year are 3.9gpa and 28 dat...

The average stats for this year are 3.9gpa and 28 dat
An average 28 DAT? That's just not true. Those people would be getting generous scholarships somehow for dental school without the military.

When talking 5-6 scholarships that might be in reference to 4 year scholarships (not including those given to individuals that are on active duty, ROTC or the Air Force Academy). It appears the majority of AF scholarships are 3 year scholarships.