Air Force stretched article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AF M4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/24/air.force.iraq.ap/index.html

My favorite part:

The result, Moseley said, is people being assigned to jobs they weren't trained for. He cited Air Force airmen being used to guard prisoners and serve as drivers and cited one instance in which a female Air Force surgeon was assigned typing chores.

But really, that's all doctors - especially female doctors - are good for, right? I mean, all the doctors I see just sit around typing notes on their computer all day. What's so different about doing a little extra typing? She could even pretend that she's being a secretary, which I hear is what every young girl dreams of growing up to be. Seriously, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Go Rumsfeld!!!

Members don't see this ad.

She could even pretend that she's being a secretary, which I hear is what every young girl dreams of growing up to be.

Spot-on. It hasn't been that many years since women were discouraged from going into surgery at all, and hazed mercilessly if they even attempted it. As they taught me at Maxwell, appearance is reality... and the female-surgeon-forced-to-become-a-secretary looks pretty bad. I'm no mysandrist, or politically-correct drone... but the very first thought that popped into my mind was "that's pretty freaking sexist."

I wonder how that conversation went...

"Surgeon you say?"

*chuckle*

"That's nice, sweetie... now why don't you go type up this correspondence for me"

I would have LOVED to have been a fly on the wall when that rocket went up the chain of command.