Airway Management Workshops

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

N2b8

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations about the various airway workshops currently being offered? I've found SLAM and theairwaysite.com; has anyone been to one? Are there others I should look at/avoid? I'm a CA-1 and would like to make the best use of my paid time off for conference!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
PGA = Post-graduate assembly. It's a big conference held in NY in December, sponsored by the NYSSA (the state society).

They have lectures, workshops, poster presentations, and reps to pick up goodies from.

I'm presenting a poster there on December 10th. I wasn't involved in the case but since I helped do the research/write it up, I got my name on there.

As far as airway workshops, I took one in mid-November in Georgia called Difficult Airway Course -- Anesthesia. I think the website is theairwaysite.com or something similar. The cost is high -- I think higher now b/c they changed from a manual to a book by one of the course organizers. I signed up before I had decided on fellowship vs work. I thought I should be exposed to different tools beyond what we have at my hospital.

The course was well worth it. The instructors are very approachable, and you get plenty of time to play with equipment. I'm a bit of a bookworm so I didn't get too much out of their lectures, but the scenarios were very helpful. As part of the cric lab, you get to play with pig tracheas. We practiced surgical cric and percutaneous using the Melker kit. That was convenient for me because we have the Melker kit at our hospital. I had seen a video about it, and played with it on a dummy once. It was nice to practice on something that feels more like human tissue.

You can stay in a hotel, but I stayed with relatives I have in Marrieta, Georgia. The place turned out only to be a 25 minute drive from their house. Visiting them again just reinforced my decision to ultimately move down south.

PGA = Post-graduate assembly. It's a big conference held in NY in December, sponsored by the NYSSA (the state society).

They have lectures, workshops, poster presentations, and reps to pick up goodies from.

I'm presenting a poster there on December 10th. I wasn't involved in the case but since I helped do the research/write it up, I got my name on there.

As far as airway workshops, I took one in mid-November in Georgia called Difficult Airway Course -- Anesthesia. I think the website is theairwaysite.com or something similar. The cost is high -- I think higher now b/c they changed from a manual to a book by one of the course organizers. I signed up before I had decided on fellowship vs work. I thought I should be exposed to different tools beyond what we have at my hospital.

The course was well worth it. The instructors are very approachable, and you get plenty of time to play with equipment. I'm a bit of a bookworm so I didn't get too much out of their lectures, but the scenarios were very helpful. As part of the cric lab, you get to play with pig tracheas. We practiced surgical cric and percutaneous using the Melker kit. That was convenient for me because we have the Melker kit at our hospital. I had seen a video about it, and played with it on a dummy once. It was nice to practice on something that feels more like human tissue.

You can stay in a hotel, but I stayed with relatives I have in Marrieta, Georgia. The place turned out only to be a 25 minute drive from their house. Visiting them again just reinforced my decision to ultimately move down south.

Congratulations on your poster demonstration. I hope it is well received!!!

I will be @ the Oxford University Press booth (they are 'repping' for Cambridge) for the exhibit hours Sat & Sun 9-3, Mon 9-1.

Did this @ Euroanesthesia in Munich & ASA in SF. Very well received @both mtgs.:)

Please stop by to say hi.

If you want to buy a copy of Anesthesia in Cosmetic Surgery AND want an autograph, I would be honored to do so. If enbough do so (buy), my royalty might even climb to 3 cents an hour for my 3 years of effort.:rolleyes:

Travel safely,

aghast1

PS For the history buffs, the Long Island Anesthesia Society (LIAS) predated the NYSSA and was the precursor to the ASA. After the ASA was formed, the LIAS became the NYSSA.

Sorry for being cryptic, but the PGA has great airway workshops, My residents rave about them. They also go on about the regional workshops. Most years a guru from the field helps out on the workshop, like Wu for airway and Hadzic for blocks. I also mentioned the conference as it starts friday. It is discounted for residents, and it is free if you have a student ID.