Airway management.

mauro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi everybody!
In about two weeks we are going to take care of a patient who is coming for a tonsillectomy. The catch is that this person is an opera singer. How would you do this case and protect this patient's vocal cords?
A regional technique? LMA? Small ETT?
All suggestions are welcome!

Planktonmd

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!
In about two weeks we are going to take care of a patient who is coming for a tonsillectomy. The catch is that this person is an opera singer. How would you do this case and protect this patient's vocal cords?
If your surgeon agrees, an LMA is a great option but many surgeons don't like to work around LMA's.
Otherwise I would just intubate him like everyone else and tell him upfront that there is a very small chance his vocal cords might be injured or his voice might be different for a while.

urge

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bilateral retro auricular glossopharyngeal catheters, plus
Bilateral single shot sphenopalatine blocks-3ml 0.5% ropi each

run catheres at 4ml/hr ropi 0.2% each side.

Disclaimer: Sarcasm intended. Please do not attempt.

Laryngospasm

Trench Dog
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

Local/MAC

zippy2u

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
LTA, 6.0 lubricated ETT, Decadron 8mgs IV, deep extubation and keep all residents away from the mofo. Regards, ---Zippy

Bougie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Make sure you hit him/her up for some tickets if you're into that kind of stuff.

Took care of a moderately famous rock star's family member (band rhymes with free eleven) a while ago. Jokingly told her that I would take a few tickets if I did a good job.

Did a good job.

Six front row tickets, backstage passes, and free drink all-night cards to the next private show in my mailbox.

I love this job.

Noyac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Make sure you hit him/her up for some tickets if you're into that kind of stuff.

Took care of a moderately famous rock star's family member (band rhymes with free eleven) a while ago. Jokingly told her that I would take a few tickets if I did a good job.

Did a good job.

Six front row tickets, backstage passes, and free drink all-night cards to the next private show in my mailbox.

I love this job.

Is this legal?

Not that I give a ****.

Bougie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no idea. Isn't this the same as patients bringing in cookies to the surgeon's office for their postop visit? :D