Aishwarya Rai on Letterman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, did any of you guys see Aishwarya Rai on Letterman Tuesday night??

Just wondering what you thought...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
sunny123 said:
I tried saving the letterman link, but apparently the link isn't working. :)

oh really? it works when i do it. well u could try going to this link and then scrolling all the way down to "missed it?" and try to open the link from there. just click on it and save it to ur comp first. hope it works :thumbup:

http://www.freewareweb.com/lettermanfeb8.shtml

^ Yep! Thanks for the link. Now I can finally catch up on what everyone was making a big deal about :laugh: .

i thought she did horrible on the letterman show. she wouldn't talk to him and answer his questions and make some really smart comments towards him. andddd she basically dissed americans when she said "we don't have to make appointments to eat dinner with our parents" and the clip that was showed portrayed the same animosity towards americans. all in all, she could have done ALOT better.

I saw the clip, and yes, I think she could've done much better as well. Ms. Rai has a major attitude problem, and she does think she is "all that". When asked what was her "big break", she responded with Devdas?? I mean, first of all, that movie was plain crap (they butchered the Bengali pronounciations, and the movie was good for the elaborate sets); and she was recognized as the first Indian to garner Miss World and Universe (I believe). However, since I am not a bollywood freak, my second guess would've been Taal (I am sure this wasn't her first Hindi film). And yes, that clip that they aired was dissing the ignorance of Americans. Whoever chooses to air such clips, would have had more sense to air a better clip. Anyhoo.....

That was the worst late night interview I have ever seen.

It was awkward for her, it was awkward for him, and it was awkward for me. :confused:

Dave looked like he held back because he didn't want to start an international incident, understandable because Aishwarya Rai looked like she wanted to kill him. :rolleyes:

Dave Letterman is an icon here in the U.S. She's representing Bollywood, and she should have been a little bit more deferential. She should have asked the producers to script some funny jokes for her before hand, because she is not funny or spontaneous. Instead, she had an attitude, and made some really sarcastic comments about American families. Also, she got offended when Dave used the words "when you were a young girl", she's over 30 now. She's not a "young girl".

She didn't make much effort to answer Dave's question. When he asked about her living with her parents (a question she's gotten before numerous times), she didn't respond with something witty but with an unpleasant comment about Americans. :thumbdown:

With her acting arrogant and offended, and giving one word responses to his questions, it's obvious that Letterman didn't say a whole lot. Sure the audience was laughing, but it was a kind of nervous laughter, prodded on by the producers hitting the "Laughter" Light. I'm not a Letterman fan, but this is one instance where I think he did pretty much everything he could, but was not able to salvage an awful situation.

I mean seriously, this was the worst interview I've ever seen on late night TV. Makes me embarrassed to be an Indian. :(

If folks in Bollywood want to break through to Hollywood, they need some people who actually get Americans. They need to leave the attitude back home.

"Whoever chooses to air such clips, would have had more sense to air a better clip. Anyhoo....."

Yup, that definitely exarcebated the culture clash.

Culture clash is all I got out of that interview. There was no need for there to be a culture clash. I've seen the Late Night guys interview foreign movie stars all the time - Chinese stars and Europeans that speak broken English - and they have a good laugh throughout it all. That interview just left people with a bad taste in their mouths. If that's your first experience with Bollywood (as it was for many Americans), you're not going to want to sample more.

Aishwariya has an attitude problem, there is nothing more to it. Due to the amoutn of attention she recieves due to the Bollywood industry, she has really developed this arrogance complex. Any interview she has given (over here in Toronto) were always filled with a "I am better than you" tone.

I read somewhere that she's done very little publicity for her movie here in the U.S. No press conference, which is very unusual. Maybe the producers are holding her back on purpose, because they know it will not be helpful.

Nightline recently had a feature on Bollywood in America. It was interesting. They interviewed a number of Indian actors/actresses who were much more pleasant than Aishwarya Rai. Nightline took the optimistic angle that Bollywood could be the next big thing here in the U.S.

I personally don't think Indian movies are going to "break through" to non-Indians living here in the U.S. Most Hindi films are musicals, and musicals aren't that good when they're in a different language. Foreign films in general don't do that well, because Hollywood is very competitive in the movie industry, and America is the home of Hollywood. It's for the same reason that the Japanese don't buy a whole lot of foreign made electronics and the French don't drink too much foreign wine. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the reality of preferences. Indian movies do well in the Middle East and in Africa, which are captive markets, with a socially conservative culture that often frowns upon Hollywood productions. Again, nothing wrong with that.

That said, I think there's a good chance for Bollywood actors to cross over into Hollywood films (in roles other than "man at gas station"). I hope Aishwarya Rai has not poisoned the well for others.

sunny123 said:
Aishwariya has an attitude problem, there is nothing more to it. Due to the amoutn of attention she recieves due to the Bollywood industry, she has really developed this arrogance complex. Any interview she has given (over here in Toronto) were always filled with a "I am better than you" tone.
I disagree with you....i think that ash was great on the letterman show......n i dont think she has a attitude probelm......n even if she did it hardly matters coz she has millions of fans all round the world(believe it or not)n she is a great actress n she is beautiful......n u have to agree that she is Better than most of the useless actresses who do nothing more than showing of their skin n then some more of it n then acting as if they r wonderful actresses......
She is the PRIDE OF INDIA
fa9a7d00.jpg

aishw-3187.jpg

parasiteatwork said:
I disagree with you....i think that ash was great on the letterman show......n i dont think she has a attitude probelm......n even if she did it hardly matters coz she has millions of fans all round the world(believe it or not)n she is a great actress n she is beautiful......n u have to agree that she is Better than most of the useless actresses who do nothing more than showing of their skin n then some more of it n then acting as if they r wonderful actresses......

or how about those actresses who are in musicals even though they can't sing a lick. I watched that interview and it's obvious she knows nothing about american media and was not prepared for a talk show interview, all her answers were so blunt and dull. She said about indian movies - art imitates life

Indian movies - all love stories in the land of arranged marriage and conservative ideals

actors singing and dancing to songs, sung by people too ugly to make it onto the movie screen.

i know people love bollywood movies, but you criticize actresses for just showing skin, but all bollywood is a bunch of single minded love stories with actors who do flashy dances and lip sync, isn't really that hard to mouth the lyrics to a song(usually a pseudo rip off of some older american song/beat) . I hate musicals in the US as well, but at least the actors are doing the singing.
bollywood makes all these movies, but it's obvious that no one is willing to take any chances to do a movie outside this format. Spanish, French, Japanese, and other foreign films occasionaly make waves in the US because they have good stories, acting, direction. I just find it really hard to take anything out of bollywood seriously as a movie fan.

Members don't see this ad :)
She sounded very confident and that's a good thing. That is how she is ought to be.
This is kind of a great push - I think she did very well.
She looked very cute :love:

Ok parasite, we can agree to disagree :D

My perception was that Letterman was talking down to her, speaking slowly, as though she wouldn't understand what he was saying. I agree she could have been more articulate, but Letterman wasn't exactly charming either.

vikaskoth said:
or how about those actresses who are in musicals even though they can't sing a lick. I watched that interview and it's obvious she knows nothing about american media and was not prepared for a talk show interview, all her answers were so blunt and dull. She said about indian movies - art imitates life

Indian movies - all love stories in the land of arranged marriage and conservative ideals

actors singing and dancing to songs, sung by people too ugly to make it onto the movie screen.

i know people love bollywood movies, but you criticize actresses for just showing skin, but all bollywood is a bunch of single minded love stories with actors who do flashy dances and lip sync, isn't really that hard to mouth the lyrics to a song(usually a pseudo rip off of some older american song/beat) . I hate musicals in the US as well, but at least the actors are doing the singing.
bollywood makes all these movies, but it's obvious that no one is willing to take any chances to do a movie outside this format. Spanish, French, Japanese, and other foreign films occasionaly make waves in the US because they have good stories, acting, direction. I just find it really hard to take anything out of bollywood seriously as a movie fan.
Now dont tell me that u watch movies just coz u want to see reality or real life dramas in it.....dont u watch to have fun,to enjoy,to relax.....so whats wrong in dancing around a tree n getting someone else to sing for u n as it is stuff as such is decided by the director n not the actors in it.
Spanish,japanese n other foreign movies r nice coz they make very few movies in a yr whereas bollywood makes hundreds of movies in a year so its natural that some of the movies r nice while others dont turn out to be big hits.....that does not prove that all bollywood movies r rubbish,maybe u havent got a chance to view a nice movie
And as far as the love theme is concerned.....Isn't life all about love in the end? :)

Here is Hollywood's answer to Aishwariya:

messingsmile.jpg

Debra Messing

musicals and lighthearted movies are fine, but thats all bollywood does, they are one dimensional.

you say isn't it about love, but thats what blows my mind is that all this stuff in india about love is so popular but when in real life its about caste, profession, dowry. The idea of marrying someone you meet for a few weeks or even less, is a pretty scary idea in my (western raised) mind. So for this reason i dont understand why indian culture has this contradiction.

example: moms been tellin me all through life, don't look at girls, blah blah blah, now she's talking about, oh will their be indian girls in your med school, dont you know any indian girls, and i'm only 21 and haven't even graduated. ok i'll just end my rant with this post, no more

sunny123 said:
Here is Hollywood's answer to Aishwariya:

messingsmile.jpg

Debra Messing
Your Debra Messing looks all messed up :D :D

Trust me, this is the closest person here in N.America that looks like Ms. Rai. :D

vikaskoth said:
musicals and lighthearted movies are fine, but thats all bollywood does, they are one dimensional.

you say isn't it about love, but thats what blows my mind is that all this stuff in india about love is so popular but when in real life its about caste, profession, dowry. The idea of marrying someone you meet for a few weeks or even less, is a pretty scary idea in my (western raised) mind. So for this reason i dont understand why indian culture has this contradiction.

You have a skewed perception of an arranged marriage. First of all, love comes in many forms, and a good marriage should contain more than one of these forms. A marriage based on lust alone, for instance, is prone to failure.

The manner in which arranged marriages are conducted is evolving. Today, an arranged marriage may involve no more than introducing the bride and groom and giving them as much time as they may need to learn about one another. If they end up hating each other, the family isn't necessarily going to force them to tie the knot.

There are some people I know raised entirely in the West who choose an arranged marriage over a "love marriage" despite having a choice because there are inherent benefit to having your family find someone for you. For one, a family may be able to provide an extensive network capable of finding a number of suitable candidates. Secondly, an Indian family is generally more close knit than a caucasian one--thanks to collectivist culture--and may thus be deeply affected by your marriage. Because of this, it helps to find a mate suitable not only to you, but also to your family.

Incidentally, I'm Western raised for the most part, and I have no qualms against arranged marriage--it works for some people and not for others.

vikaskoth said:
example: moms been tellin me all through life, don't look at girls, blah blah blah, now she's talking about, oh will their be indian girls in your med school, dont you know any indian girls, and i'm only 21 and haven't even graduated. ok i'll just end my rant with this post, no more

Sounds like you have a few issues to deal with at home, but don't let your personal situation discolour your perception of arranged marriage. Like I said earlier, it works for some and not for others. If you don't like it, no one's forcing you into it. Grow some balls and tell your mom to take a hike.

H2O said:
Sounds like you have a few issues to deal with at home, but don't let your personal situation discolour your perception of arranged marriage. Like I said earlier, it works for some and not for others. If you don't like it, no one's forcing you into it. Grow some balls and tell your mom to take a hike.

no issues, I just think its kind of ridiculous that my mom could have this attitude that all of a sudden i should be interested in girls and start thinkin about marriage. I dont take any of this stuff she says seriously, and my dad is always telling her to calm down with it anyways. I'm not being forced into anything, i was just commenting on her sudden interest if in me having a love life and talking about marriage now.

vikaskoth said:
no issues, I just think its kind of ridiculous that my mom could have this attitude that all of a sudden i should be interested in girls and start thinkin about marriage. I dont take any of this stuff she says seriously, and my dad is always telling her to calm down with it anyways. I'm not being forced into anything, i was just commenting on her sudden interest if in me having a love life and talking about marriage now.

You have to look at this from her perspective to fully appreciate the situation. She finally sees you as a man and wants to see you happy in this new role, which she sees as necessitating a wife. She's not being hypocritical, but merely playing the role of a dutiful mother--as she has been culturally indoctrinated to do.

well trust me, its silly, can't really convey it online.

vikaskoth said:
well trust me, its silly, can't really convey it online.

I guess I'm fortunate in that regard. No one hounds anyone in our family.

whats funny is, if my grandma is around when my mom says stuff like this, my grandma tells my mom to be quiet and just let me focus on my studies and getting "good marks"

vikaskoth said:
whats funny is, if my grandma is around when my mom says stuff like this, my grandma tells my mom to be quiet and just let me focus on my studies and getting "good marks"

I think the effect will be more potent if you tell your mother yourself. Just watch--she'll simmer down. Then again, there's the remote possibility she'll put up a theatrical presentation about how she's only trying to do the best for her son and how he just pushes her away.

Just out of curiosity, are you in med school now? If you are, did this problem start when you were accepted or is it just cropping up now that you're almost finished your first year?

no, i'm senior in undergrad now. she knows i dont take her comments seriously. i'll stop postin bout this stuff now

sunny123 said:
Trust me, this is the closest person here in N.America that looks like Ms. Rai. :D
talking about aishwariya rai
there is this new girl called Sneha Ullal
she has a striking resemblance to Aiswariya Rai and she can be easily passed off as the beauty queen's twin sister
She is Acting with Salman Khan in their new movie, "LUCKY"
look at her
Don't you think she looks like her twin sister
766b0f2e31.jpg

Yeah, I saw her on TV once. She most definately could pass as Rai's twin.

nimeshshingala said:
talking about aishwariya rai
there is this new girl called Sneha Ullal
she has a striking resemblance to Aiswariya Rai and she can be easily passed off as the beauty queen's twin sister
She is Acting with Salman Khan in their new movie, "LUCKY"
look at her
Don't you think she looks like her twin sister
766b0f2e31.jpg
agreed that she looks very similar But how is her acting.....is it as good as Ash?

vikaskoth said:

not all movies are about love. Just the commercial ones. The love thing is due to the social conditions in India. Movies are sort of an escape.
If you are looking for the ones that portray reality there are quite a few talented directors that make such movies, even plays portray reality.

About your mom issue, that is pretty funny. Not every one in India does arranged marriage dear. So just chill . Quit bad mouthing Indian culture. India is a country full of diversity! Please don't bring India in the scene. It breaks my heart.

parasiteatwork said:
agreed that she looks very similar. But how is her acting.....is it as good as Ash?

Don't you mean how BAD?? I will admit Ash is dropdead gorgeous but she can't act for her life.

NYCDesi said:
Don't you mean how BAD?? I will admit Ash is dropdead gorgeous but she can't act for her life.
I believe ash is a wonderful actress...she has a great style.......n she is beautiful......dont u remember DEVDAS n HUM DIL DE CHUKE SANAM......n yes,she dances really well!!! :)

parasiteatwork said:
I believe ash is a wonderful actress...she has a great style.......n she is beautiful......dont u remember DEVDAS n HUM DIL DE CHUKE SANAM......n yes,she dances really well!!! :)
I try to forget that version DEVDAS :D.

sunny123 said:
I try to forget that version DEVDAS :D.
I agree that Devdas-the movie was a pathetic version of DEVDAS-the novel...but now dont tell me that it was Ash's fault..... :p :p :p

I saw Ash on 60 min but none of the links work for the Ash on Letterman show. Anyone with better links? :D

i don't think she did taht bad on letterman. while she could have been a little less giggley...i think she was fine. and that comment about making appts for dinner. i think you guys are all taking taht too seriously. i laughed about it. the clip they showed was ****ty though. they should have picked another one (prolly from another movie, cuz from what i've heard, the movie was ****ty too)

but overall, she was fine. she looked good. and when letterman called her a young girl, i thought she did well by giving him taht look. any american actress would have done the same regardless of her age. (no one likes to be percieved as old in the industry).

parasiteatwork said:
I agree that Devdas-the movie was a pathetic version of DEVDAS-the novel...but now dont tell me that it was Ash's fault..... :p :p :p
Not at all, I blame the director for that ;)

Not only did she act high and mighty, but she was also uninformed about American musicals/movies/sitcoms. I mean, come on - stars are given a briefing about interview questions before they actually go on air. And because she was on American turf, she should have educated herself a little before appearing on the interview with Letterman. Anyone else (Jay Leno, Bill Maher, Conan O Brien, maybe Larry King) would have ripped her to shreds with sarcasm. She just gave a really blank look when Letterman asked her about the Happy Days Reunion. I mean...say SOMETHING...say you think "The Fonz" was a cool character or that you couldn't stand Potsie...I don't know! Just don't be so plain DUMB, Aishwarya!

parasiteatwork said:
fa9a7d00.jpg

aishw-3187.jpg

Carine said:
Not only did she act high and mighty, but she was also uninformed about American musicals/movies/sitcoms. I mean, come on - stars are given a briefing about interview questions before they actually go on air. And because she was on American turf, she should have educated herself a little before appearing on the interview with Letterman. Anyone else (Jay Leno, Bill Maher, Conan O Brien, maybe Larry King) would have ripped her to shreds with sarcasm. She just gave a really blank look when Letterman asked her about the Happy Days Reunion. I mean...say SOMETHING...say you think "The Fonz" was a cool character or that you couldn't stand Potsie...I don't know! Just don't be so plain DUMB, Aishwarya!

I soooooooooo agree ! She had the dumbest look when asked about Happy Days. .. I mean, just say that you haven't really paid much attention to it or something.. I mean .. just open your mouth and say a word.. and how dare you come to America and comment on American Culture ??? Just shut up and go back home.. (Oh by the way .. I am an Indian..and I am still pissed off .. I can imagine what my american friends are feeling now)
She was culturally insensitive, totally unprepared, had the deer-in-front-of-the-car look all through the show, did not understand why the heck she was there, did not have humor in any way shape or form, was disrespectful and is never going to make it back to the Letterman show again... and I agree that Leno would have ripped her ego from minute one. But I guess.. she lucked out.
At the end, I am a big 'Indian' always propagating about the greatness of India and all that .... . but when people like these go on National Television and bark the way she did, then the efforts of thousands of 'image' creators like me go down the Mumbai sewer...
Please Please Please, my American sisters and brothers, India is not like that , all Indians from India are not idiots like her. Please excuse her behavior. She just does not know better :(

what do you think of her not being there at the oscars on Sunday.
I think in a way it is good 'cos all these are kind of too sudden for her; 60 minutes, Letterman show etc. Perhaps next year if she gets to present an award that would be good.

ST06 said:
what do you think of her not being there at the oscars on Sunday.
I think in a way it is good 'cos all these are kind of too sudden for her; 60 minutes, Letterman show etc. Perhaps next year if she gets to present an award that would be good.

I totally agree !! I think she needs to get a little more maturity in her bag, before she attends any other major event next year..

Oscars... hmmmm.. I would give it like another 10 years :D

well, they say she was invited to present an award at the Oscars (whatever the award was) and she couldn't make it due to her current film role in the UK.

Intlmed, you may get surprised a few yrs later, she could get really good at public presentations.. she is new to this part of the world right now, give her just a few more yrs..

OK Guys,Enough bitching about Aish.....I just need to ask you one single question--How many of the so called smart American actresses can say a word or comment on Indian soaps n movies...none..I believe...n plz dont give me that **** about not understanding the language n stuff coz lots of Indian movies r made in english too.And its no big deal if she didnt comment on "happy days" n as it is in India....nobody gives a damn abt Happy Days!!!!!!!!

parasiteatwork said:
I dunno...parasite...what makes u say she is a pride of India...all she has got is looks......nothing else....where is the acting........she is an actress .......not a wax model....

vikaskoth said:

Ok..well what about Hollywood....movies like.....unfaithful.....pretty woman......guess what....Indians think America is all about divorces and open sex