Akt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med4ever

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

What are good study materials for the AKT? How is it similar or different to teh inservice in JULY.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

What are good study materials for the AKT? How is it similar or different to teh inservice in JULY.

thanks

Same review books you'd use for the boards.

If its your first time taking the exam then its baby miller. Maybe that NMS handbook thing I see students walking around with. Looks pretty good.

Its not similar to the inservice IMHO. The questions are all straight forward, regurgitation of facts, first order type multiple choice.

I agree with Vent that the questions are, relative to the ITE, shorter and more regurgitory (if that's a word). I've heard that the AKT-18 is more like the ITE than the AKT-6, but I'm not taking that for a couple weeks yet.

When I studied for the AKT-6 last year, the most important thing I took away from the content outline gasnewby linked was its narrow focus. No peds, no OB. Relatively heavy emphasis on equipment, monitors, and physics. I thought Hall and Big Blue were very high yield review materials. If you're going to study specifically for this test, I'd go light on the subspecialty reading and really nail drugs, CV and resp physiology, and the unglamorous stuff like physics and equipment (monitors, machines, circuits, line isolation monitors, microshock numbers, etc). You won't get asked how to induce someone with a big mediastinal mass. You will get asked (explicitly) what the formula for SVR is, or how many liters of O2 are in a tank, or how many milliamps of macroshock will cause vfib.