AKT-6 Percentile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alta91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our program makes us take the AKT series. Recently took AKT-6, but didn't get the scaled scores back on our reports, just percent right. Would anyone who took the exam this year or last be able to comment on a percent correct to scaled score correlation just so my program could figure out where average is?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

He doesn’t know either. When he tried to contacted the folks who administer the exam they didn’t respond to him.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter. Your ability to spew off the vapor pressures of each individual anesthetic gas has no bearing on your ability to actually perform anesthesia. Keep studying, keep learning from your patients and study as needed for your ITEs. Don't worry about how you do on the AKTs.

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't matter. .
Oh yeah, it matters. Your ability to score high on tests matter to whoever signs your diploma.
Does it matter a whole lot on your abilitie(s) as a clinician? nope. BUt those test scores matter. Its the endall be all to the ABA.
So dont blow it off!

Oh yeah, it matters. Your ability to score high on tests matter to whoever signs your diploma.
Does it matter a whole lot on your abilitie(s) as a clinician? nope. BUt those test scores matter. Its the endall be all to the ABA.
So dont blow it off!
The AKT does not matter. ITE and boards do matter.

So dont blow it off!

I don't disagree that your boards and ITEs matter but the AKT does not. I should have been more specific in my original post.

Unless you apply for fellowship, they matter as much as your apgars.

When I started residency, something like 75% of programs were administering the AKT tests. With the advent of the BASIC exam most programs cut AKT out, now less than 25% of programs use it.

My point is, it’s not a reliable data point to use for comparison like the ITE is (which virtually 100% of residents take). We basically completely ignored the scores when we reviewed fellowship apps at my program. But I’m general good ITE scores tend to correlate with good AKT and good Step scores. Some people are just good test takers... but solid recommendations and personal calls easily overcome subpar performances (unlike Step performances for residency, as an example).

I can't speak to which fellowship programs still care about AKTs, but program directors who care enough about the AKT to make you take it also care what your score is.

Life's hard enough already without unnecessarily getting yourself on the radar.

I was asked for my AKT as part of some supplemental portions of fellowship applications, but it was by very few places (one or two) and I have trouble believing they were looked at.

I know I know. I've read these forums enough to know that it doesn't really matter that much for fellowship (which I am interested in)/life after residency. I've been studying my brains out and I'd at least like to know what an average score is on the darn thing for this year or last. Thanks for the lively discussion though.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this. AKT-6 is generally taken in Jan of CA1 and the the CA-1 ITE is taken in February. Does strong performance on the AKT-6 correlate meaninigfully with the ITE?

My classmates and I took the AKT-6 and we did reasonably well - >80 percentiles. Simultaneously, I know that the AKT isn't taken by many programs, and many residents don't take it seriously, so our scores may have been inflated.

Last edited:
Does strong performance on the AKT-6 correlate meaninigfully with the ITE?

Well, yes, but remember both are standardized tests so a bias will exist to those who simply are better test takers. There is an assumption that if you do well on the AKT it would set you up well for the ITE.

A brief point, though - the AKT is a very basic test on anesthesia topics and is not at all comprehensive from what I remember. The ITE mirrors a well-rounded board exam with full subspecialty coverage so it is a different test in that respect. But that is why scores are correlated to PGY level rather than overall.