Alabama Schools Thread Part 2!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Closed the first thread because it was well over 1,000 posts. Please enjoy the new one just as much :).

Here's the link to the old one for reference:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=220909

On a separate note, I hope in the next cycle to be fortunate enough to post here often (Alabama resident!).

Members don't see this ad.

New thread, omg.

Alright--It's almost February and nothing...

can someone complain? =)

Members don't see this ad :)
OK y'all, I caved. I sent an email to the admissions dept. and asked when we might hear something. Still haven't received a response but I will be happy to post when I do. They will probably rescind my acceptance for being a pain in the can but it had to be done.

Livin' on the edge...:thumbup:

OK y'all, I caved. I sent an email to the admissions dept. and asked when we might hear something. Still haven't received a response but I will be happy to post when I do. They will probably rescind my acceptance for being a pain in the can but it had to be done.

Julie is cool with answering questions.

:horns:

...such a badass. We're totally going to be study partners next year ;)

...such a badass. We're totally going to be study partners next year ;)

Fo sho'!

I may end up being a ******* before this is done. Still haven't heard back although it just occurred to me that today was an interview day so maybe they were busy dealing with a fresh batch of stressed out, earnest pre-meds.

Do you think they hate us all by the time the admissions process is over? Can't say I blame them if they do. :laugh:

Fo sho'!

I may end up being a ******* before this is done. Still haven't heard back although it just occurred to me that today was an interview day so maybe they were busy dealing with a fresh batch of stressed out, earnest pre-meds.

Do you think they hate us all by the time the admissions process is over? Can't say I blame them if they do. :laugh:

Probably.

hey guys!

I received an interview invite to UASOM today! I was soo excited!! ... however, when I accessed the secondary page to select the date for me to interview on ... guess what, no dates??? it just said "select value" or w/e ... and tha's all ... anyone else had that problem ever??

I emailed them, hopefully they fix it up by tomorrow ... i hope i wasnt sent an email by accident for an invite!!

Has anyone heard anything about their campus assignment?

Nope. And we're all pissed. =)

This Just In:

"Posted January 26, 2007

ATTENTION: Accepted Applicants to Regular MD & MD/MPH Program

Note: Acceptance letters are currently being constructed and should be mailed next week [posted January 26, 2007]."

that's from the UAB site... so, yay!

Cheers for getting our third choices!

This Just In:

"Posted January 26, 2007

ATTENTION: Accepted Applicants to Regular MD & MD/MPH Program

Note: Acceptance letters are currently being constructed and should be mailed next week [posted January 26, 2007]."

that's from the UAB site... so, yay!

Cheers for getting our third choices!

Excellent!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope everyone gets their top choice, especially since we got in first!

Hey, I know most of you guys are Alabama residents and are going to UASOM, but I just thought I'd see if anyone could help me with this question.

I'm OOS and was accepted to USA. At my interview, there was an MSI (or II, I'm not really sure) that was OOS but got in-state tuition really easily just by getting a driver's license, providing an Alabama address, etc. Does anyone here know anything about what it takes to establish residency in Alabama? Did any other OOS USAers hear anything like this? Thanks for any info you can give!

Hey, I know most of you guys are Alabama residents and are going to UASOM, but I just thought I'd see if anyone could help me with this question.

I'm OOS and was accepted to USA. At my interview, there was an MSI (or II, I'm not really sure) that was OOS but got in-state tuition really easily just by getting a driver's license, providing an Alabama address, etc. Does anyone here know anything about what it takes to establish residency in Alabama? Did any other OOS USAers hear anything like this? Thanks for any info you can give!

i'm also an OOS. from my understanding, they recently changed the rules/guidelines that basically makes it VERY difficult to change residency status. i.e. if you don't have family connections there, you're not going to get in-state status. this was at UAB...

In order for me to get Alabama residency at USA I had to get my driver's license with an alabama address, have a bank account in alabama, get a library card in AL, voter registration in the area on the driver's license, and i had a pay stub from a job on campus, but you could get your car tag registered (under your name) in alabama. There is a list of things you can do and you only have to do 5. Some, like voter registration and driver's license, are required, but you get to choose from the others. Just go to the usouthal.edu website under registrars office. It takes a year, so your first year will be oos but after that you should be good. One of my profs is on the adcom and they talked about it and it didn't seem to be a problem.

Well, I checked my status for what appears to be the 96,762th time and noticed that you could pay your deposit online (option at bottom of list of main page) for your spot in the class. I went ahead and sent them 50 bucks to feel like I had some forward momentum and in the vain hope that that extra cash would give them enough pocket $$ to buy stamps to send our letters!!! :p

Still no campus assignment and no response to my email from last week. Sigh....

I just got this response to my email:

Ms. Aiken,

Thank you for the email. The acceptance letters will be sent out within 2 weeks and your campus assignment will be included in the letter.

Julie Calma
UASOM
107-E Volker Hall
Birmingham, Al. 35233
Phone (205) 934-2433
Fax (205) 934-8740

So there you go. Now it's two weeks. :thumbup:

Anybody know when the January adcom meeting was? It seems like we haven't heard of any new acceptances in awhile - when will the next batch appear?

I got an interview invite today for 2/22 to UAB. I think that is the very last day they are doing interviews. I know they do not accept many out of state applicants so I was wondering what my chances really are. I have a really great MCAT and good undergrad GPA 3.71 and my first semester of masters in Biology GPA is a 3.86. I dont have any idea how they do admissions down there, is it rolling or something else? Thanks for the help.

so i just declined my acceptance from UAB (withdrew online), hope someone here gets a seat! (i was an OOS)

best wishes

Another week or so of waiting.

It is trial by fire.

Honestly folks...this campus assignment thing is the biggest pile of horse ****! Get a damn hat throw in the names and start assigning...jeeeez! Happy waiting.

so i just declined my acceptance from UAB (withdrew online), hope someone here gets a seat! (i was an OOS)

best wishes

Good luck to you. I was looking forward to meeting you and hearing about your connection to Iraq but I know this is a big decision. Where are you going instead? And was the campus assignment thing (or lack thereof) a deciding factor?

Wish you the best.:thumbup:

Honestly folks...this campus assignment thing is the biggest pile of horse ****! Get a damn hat throw in the names and start assigning...jeeeez! Happy waiting.

I am loving this. I think we have been quite patient. The decision should have been made a long time ago.

You can do it rabbitsfeet777! =)

So do I understand correctly that people who were accepted in October STILL don't have assignments or letters? On behalf of my school I apologize, I have no earthly idea what kind of problems they could be having that would hold things up that much.

Yeah, I was accepted in Oct. and still don't have one. Still terribly thrilled about the school, but I am a bit frustrated at the holdup.

Also, I keep trying to get word on the MD/MPH program I applied for... do you know anyone doing that?

I am glad eerapido is getting a kick out of our frustration. We have to make sure we meet at orientation! Does anyone know when the first day of class is at UAB?

Hey everyone,
I am applying to UASOM over the summer and I was wondering what MCAT scores and GPA people had who were accepted. I have a 3.72 overall GPA and a 3.84 science GPA. I have not taken the MCAT yet but am hoping for a 30. I am an Alabama resident so I guess that will help too. Also I was wondering how early I should try to get my application submitted? Thanks.

So...has anyone heard of any acceptances since Jan.2005?

wow two years of no acceptances.. now that's highly competitive.

I had a 3.9 and a 31. But as long as u make a 28 or higher u should be fine.

Hey everyone,
I am applying to UASOM over the summer and I was wondering what MCAT scores and GPA people had who were accepted. I have a 3.72 overall GPA and a 3.84 science GPA. I have not taken the MCAT yet but am hoping for a 30. I am an Alabama resident so I guess that will help too. Also I was wondering how early I should try to get my application submitted? Thanks.

Your GPA is plenty competitive, and a 30 MCAT would be right in the average. If you can manage a 10-10-10 or better, you'll qualify for early decision, which if you're willing to commit, does weigh in your favor in admissions. You should of course get advice from the Admissions Department on your competitiveness before making that leap though. If you want the flexibility to shop around, like I said before, your GPA seems fine and a 30+ MCAT will be acceptable. It's always beneficial to apply as early as you can, as you'll get interviews earlier and your app will get more looks during meetings and such throughout the year. Good luck!

PS. I'm just a first year, and my knowledge of the app process is 2 years old. If competitiveness and scores and all have changed since then, I wouldn't know about it. Grain of salt and all that.

I am glad eerapido is getting a kick out of our frustration. We have to make sure we meet at orientation! Does anyone know when the first day of class is at UAB?

Well, looking at the previous calendars, we are probably going to start the last week of July.

Hey thanks for the info. I feel like I am a pretty competitive applicant, that is if i can get a 30 or so on the MCAT. the only thing I am worried about is that I went to a small relatively unheard of private university.

What school is that?

They do factor in the "competitiveness" of your university into your packet. Like, I know that UA, UAB, AU, and Samford are considered "competitive" while UAH is not.

~Jared

I am at a private school called Southern University which is just outside of chattanooga, TN. I figure that it will probably hurt my chances since no one has heard of it but it is a pretty good school. From what I have heard from other people is that if I can score high on my MCAT that it will offset the idea that I am at a noncompetitve school but I really have no idea. I know people who have graduated from here and have got into brown and yale (their MCAT scores were pretty high) so I am hoping it dosen't hurt me too much.

hey guys!

I received an interview invite to UASOM today! I was soo excited!! ... however, when I accessed the secondary page to select the date for me to interview on ... guess what, no dates??? it just said "select value" or w/e ... and tha's all ... anyone else had that problem ever??

I emailed them, hopefully they fix it up by tomorrow ... i hope i wasnt sent an email by accident for an invite!!

You've probably already found an answer, but I had the same problem, and when I tried again a couple of days later, dates were there. Call 'em if it still doesn't work.

Hi SDNers... just need some advice on a situation: interviewed in Oct at UAB...great 4 interviews!... still no word... is it time to give up hope? other offers exist but UAB is the place for me (I hope they think that)... what do you think!

Hi SDNers... just need some advice on a situation: interviewed in Oct at UAB...great 4 interviews!... still no word... is it time to give up hope? other offers exist but UAB is the place for me (I hope they think that)... what do you think!

What are your stats like?

Stats are 30 MCAT and 3.7 gpa from Vandy.. about same science gpa

i'm in the same boat. hopefully they're just being really slow b/c they've been slow to send out letters to everyone. i

They seem to be really slow about everything this year for some reason. I wouldn't deter you from calling and pestering.

When did you interview? a couple of us interviewed in Oct. and I remember a couple of vandy kids.

----

Also--- is anyone thinking of doing the rural program?
I also still wonder if anyone is doing the MD/MPH?

Just got mine in the mail... Huntsville. Does anyone know whether this campus is any better or worse than Birmingham? I'm trying to decide whether to go to UAB or South now.

Just got mine in the mail... Huntsville. Does anyone know whether this campus is any better or worse than Birmingham? I'm trying to decide whether to go to UAB or South now.

Well, at least you got it! You've got that going for you! In all seriousness, I don't know much about that campus but I know that Huntsville is a good place to practice if you decide to go back after your training. Very good reimbursement, quality of life, etc. I thik it really boils down to where you want to be long term and which school will be the best path to that end, if that makes any sense. For instance, if you intend to practice in Mobile or the surrounding area, then South would probably be a better option. That said, either will be a good choice if you intend to stay in AL. If not, I would probably go with UAB.

OK, I've got a couple of questions for you. Was Huntsville one of the options that you picked or were you randomly assigned? Also, have they posted the assignment on the Secondary App webpage or did you just find out from the mail? I got my mail today and no news. Just curious.

Good luck in your decision-making process. Look at it this way - it is always good to have options.

I think from what I read on Ciny's old posts, she changed her options to BHM & Huntsville when asked to reconsider. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Huntsville is great. I live (basically) in huntsville and am friends with a couple of med students that are doing their 3rd and 4th years there.

The advantage of going to South (as I saw it) was a lot more hands on experience during your medical education. I'm sure the admission guy told you all about how you'd catch plenty of babies, be first assist on surgery, etc. That all really is kinda cool.

Huntsville is the UAB campus to go to for that kinda thing. It's smaller, and you will get a LOT more interaction with the attending than those who end up in b'ham for their 3rd and 4th years. You will be first assist on surgeries, you will catch babies, you will be pimped due to lack of residents.

That said--you're set up for a similar level of interaction if you go to South or if you go to UAB. The difference being you're only going to get the national recognition of having gone to UAB if you actually go to UAB, not South. South is a great school, and I loved my interview there. UAB may not even be the better school in reality, but in every ranking/residency placement it is.

These are my opinions--I hope they helped.

As for living in h'ville--it's a good bit of fun. City of about 200k-300k people with great restaurants (as good of sushi as I had living in a large metroplex), bars, LOW cost of living and rent (like, woah), and enough of an interstate system and crime problem to keep the ERs busy but not to bother you outside of the hospital.