Alabama Schools Thread Part 2!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been assigned to Tuscaloosa?

Not that I've seen.

Do you have your campus assignment? If so, when were you accepted and did they post it on the webpage or did you get a letter?

I'm getting the run around on my campus assignment and I'm beginning to think maybe something is amiss.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that I've seen.

Do you have your campus assignment? If so, when were you accepted and did they post it on the webpage or did you get a letter?

I'm getting the run around on my campus assignment and I'm beginning to think maybe something is amiss.

I got a letter, but before that it was posted on the webpage.

I'm getting antsy. :scared: It's almost like I'm not really accepted until I get that paper letter in my hands :(

I received my letter about 2 weeks ago. UAB also assigned me to the Tuscaloosa campus. From what I have subsequently learned, most Tuscaloosa people only really spend one year there and return to UAB for subspecialty clinicals. I also heard that the typical 3rd year clinicals at Tuscaloosa are pretty good b/c you get more responsibility than you might in Bham. Anyone know more about Tuscaloosa?

For those of you who interviewed on Feb.22, did Dr. Smith say anything about when the next Admissions Selections Committee meeting would be?

For those of you who interviewed on Feb.22, did Dr. Smith say anything about when the next Admissions Selections Committee meeting would be?

unfortunately, no.

I received my letter about 2 weeks ago. UAB also assigned me to the Tuscaloosa campus. From what I have subsequently learned, most Tuscaloosa people only really spend one year there and return to UAB for subspecialty clinicals. I also heard that the typical 3rd year clinicals at Tuscaloosa are pretty good b/c you get more responsibility than you might in Bham. Anyone know more about Tuscaloosa?

yes, the med student is the 1st assist to the attendee in the hospital. lesser residents and med students to have to deal with. more direct patient care/interaction.

Just got my campus assignment: Huntsville.

Woot!

Made my campus assignment: #1 Bham, #2 Tuscaloosa, #3 Huntsvegas. (Figurred I'd be flexible as possible and I wouldn't mind doing my 3rd year anywhere if given the chance to attend UASOM. Also, Tuscaloosa is closer to me than Huntsvegas is.)

Currently, my status is: Campus Assignment Received.

Wish me luck guys/gals, hopefully I'll be in it with you all.

lol, I'm curious: why do you call it Huntsvegas? It made me lawl

lawl?

Huntsvegas is a common nick-name used by my buddies who live there, plus it's a cool title. Offended because I didn't call Tuscaloosa "T-Town"? :laugh:

eh, it wasn't really anything I thought about, just typed it and submitted it. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
lol,"lawled" is my perversion of the term "lolled" which means I literally laughed out loud as opposed to one of those fake laughs that people type out when someone is only moderately funny.

And, nah, I actually loathe Tuscaloosa, but only because getting around UA's campus was a bad experience for me. I actually originally went to UAH, and there really was nothing Vegas about it. ;-)

lol, i am so going to have to coopt the term Huntvegas into my vocab.

lawl?

Huntsvegas is a common nick-name used by my buddies who live there, plus it's a cool title. Offended because I didn't call Tuscaloosa "T-Town"? :laugh:

eh, it wasn't really anything I thought about, just typed it and submitted it. :laugh:

I received my acceptance this morning from UAB's medical school. It mentioned within the e-mail that they will give two weeks to complete the acceptance offer of admissions and submit a deposit. Where do i need to go to do these things? i looked on the website already...but I am so excited I am having problems reading:D

just got acceptance email (interviewed 2 weeks ago). probably turning them down for OHSU. so... there will be an open seat in the next few days.

Just submitted my signed Offer of Acceptance. My assignment is Birmingham. See you guys in July!

I received my acceptance this morning from UAB's medical school. It mentioned within the e-mail that they will give two weeks to complete the acceptance offer of admissions and submit a deposit. Where do i need to go to do these things? i looked on the website already...but I am so excited I am having problems reading:D

I received the offer of acceptance via US Mail, and paid the deposit online the same way we paid for our secondary application fee.

when did you interview??

Specifically here

OK! I'm really worried. I have sent in my acceptance form and deposit, so I checked my status page(just to check it, because I didn't expect anything to really have changed). Well, there's some new stuff in the status box. Most of its good. It shows that my acceptance form and deposit have gotten there fine. However, there's one disturbing thing on the page:

Required Coursework Completed: N

Does anybody else have this on their status page? I'm worried because I thought I had done all of the course requirements including:

1 year of biology
1 year of physics
1 year of chemistry
1 year of organic chemistry
1 year of math(fulfilled by Calculus A and a computer science course)
1 year of english.

Is this status indicitive of anything besides the fact that I haven't completed my degree yet?

I sent off an email, but I wanted to see if someone could allay my fears now. :(

OK! I'm really worried. I have sent in my acceptance form and deposit, so I checked my status page(just to check it, because I didn't expect anything to really have changed). Well, there's some new stuff in the status box. Most of its good. It shows that my acceptance form and deposit have gotten there fine. However, there's one disturbing thing on the page:

Does anybody else have this on their status page? I'm worried because I thought I had done all of the course requirements including:

1 year of biology
1 year of physics
1 year of chemistry
1 year of organic chemistry
1 year of math(fulfilled by Calculus A and a computer science course)
1 year of english.

Is this status indicitive of anything besides the fact that I haven't completed my degree yet?

I sent off an email, but I wanted to see if someone could allay my fears now. :(

rick, mine says the same thing, and I know I've competed all the required courses. It has to do wiht us not graduating yet. Does anyone else's say anything about an out of state deposit? I'm in-state, but it has an N by the line that says out of state deposit received.

The UASOM Class of 2011 has a facebook group.

Just search for UASOM

did it take 4 weeks for everyone to get your formal acceptance in the mail after the initial e-mail acceptance? sooner? longer?how much is the in-state deposit?

did it take 4 weeks for everyone to get your formal acceptance in the mail after the initial e-mail acceptance? sooner? longer?how much is the in-state deposit?

Well, I received my email acceptance on 2/7 and the paper acceptance on about 2/27, so nearly three weeks.

It took me (and some others) over 2 months to receive the letter. I got accepted 11/9/06 and received the letter sometime in the second week of February. I can't remember the date. Anyway, that had to do with the whole campus selection process. Hopefully, you will get yours a lot sooner. The in-state deposit (same as OOS?) is $50.

Congratulations! See you in August.

hi everyone. i stumbled across this thread tonight...i am one of the slacker fourth years at uab. cincy, i went to huntsville for my third year. it was not my first choice (i think the whole process is a crap shoot to be perfectly honest), but in the end, i think i had a great year. you get quality clinical experience...just a little more personal than that in bham i think. i moved back to bham for my fourth year. i will say this...uab is a very well respected medical school. it is #25 in the nation right now and climbing higher every year. not a single program where i interviewed for residency made a deal about me being at a branch campus...ivy and state programs alike. pm if you have any specific questions.

I just got an interview for USA dated 02/27 for 3/14. However, I checked their website, and it says that interviews are from Oct1-March1 and acceptances are mailed out on March 15th. Does anyone know if this is correct, or know anything about this school? It is one of my top choices, however, I do not want to waste time and money going there for an interview if it is for an alternate or waitlist spot, since I already have an acceptance elsewhere.

Thanks

R~

I just got an interview for USA dated 02/27 for 3/14. However, I checked their website, and it says that interviews are from Oct1-March1 and acceptances are mailed out on March 15th. Does anyone know if this is correct, or know anything about this school? It is one of my top choices, however, I do not want to waste time and money going there for an interview if it is for an alternate or waitlist spot, since I already have an acceptance elsewhere.

Thanks

R~

They could be behind. And even if you were "interviewing for a waitlist spot", wouldn't it be worth it? Unless you were strapped for cash, I'd go for it, especially if you really like the school. Even though I got good impressions from the school(it almost usurped UAB's position as my favorite), I imagine that there's probably quite a bit of waitlist movement, and if you're near the top of the list, you would likely get in. (this is all conjecture. correct me if I'm wrong)

They could be behind. And even if you were "interviewing for a waitlist spot", wouldn't it be worth it? Unless you were strapped for cash, I'd go for it, especially if you really like the school. Even though I got good impressions from the school(it almost usurped UAB's position as my favorite), I imagine that there's probably quite a bit of waitlist movement, and if you're near the top of the list, you would likely get in. (this is all conjecture. correct me if I'm wrong)

Nope, not really, not when I have to put 2K down for another school that I have been accepted to in April. I dont want to interview if the spot is just for a waitlist or alternate b/c I would not hear back from them (according to the website) until the end of April, which means I would lose the 2K deposit for my other school IF and a BIG IF I came off the list. If there is a chance for a regular spot, then yeah, but not for a waitlist or alternate at this point. I dont have that kind of cash to lose. If only I were rich...:)

R~

From what I understand, and this is in no way meant to knock USA, a lot of movement occurs there as people get acceptances to UAB. I don't have any clue about the relative qualities of the schools, but the impression I get is that USA is the backup for a lot of UAB applicants. So, a waitlist at USA may not be the waste of time that it may be at other schools. However, if you've already got an acceptance, I'd just ask myself if I would rather go to USA than the place I'm already in at. If not, what's the point of wasting the money shooting for an acceptance you know you're going to turn down? If you're up in the air about it, find a way to get some impressions and make that decision before plopping down the money. Since you now have an acceptance, you are no longer at the mercy of the admissions process, you get to CHOOSE who to give your money to now :)

Nope, not really, not when I have to put 2K down for another school that I have been accepted to in April. I dont want to interview if the spot is just for a waitlist or alternate b/c I would not hear back from them (according to the website) until the end of April, which means I would lose the 2K deposit for my other school IF and a BIG IF I came off the list. If there is a chance for a regular spot, then yeah, but not for a waitlist or alternate at this point. I dont have that kind of cash to lose. If only I were rich...:)

R~

Yikes :eek: where'd you get accepted at? In this case, I'd give USA a call. If you explain your predicament, they may be able to tell you whether or not you would be interviewing for a waitlist spot. If you have to put that large of a deposit down, I would take the other acceptance and run if they can't give you a good answer.

From what I understand, and this is in no way meant to knock USA, a lot of movement occurs there as people get acceptances to UAB. I don't have any clue about the relative qualities of the schools, but the impression I get is that USA is the backup for a lot of UAB applicants. So, a waitlist at USA may not be the waste of time that it may be at other schools. However, if you've already got an acceptance, I'd just ask myself if I would rather go to USA than the place I'm already in at. If not, what's the point of wasting the money shooting for an acceptance you know you're going to turn down? If you're up in the air about it, find a way to get some impressions and make that decision before plopping down the money. Since you now have an acceptance, you are no longer at the mercy of the admissions process, you get to CHOOSE who to give your money to now :)

I didn't want to say that, but that's probably true ><

R~

out of curiosity, is the other spot DO? I'm just trying to think of a place that would require that large of a NON REFUNDABLE deposit, and DO schools are the only ones I know of that have that kind of a shady policy. Is this a case where you only have a DO acceptance and you're holding out for an MD spot? If so, well, you have to be happy with the outcome. I understand the money angle, but if you feel like you're 'settling', you may resent that for the next 4 years, if not the rest of your life. just something to think about.

Yeah, doesn't that suck?, but yes it is a DO school. I dont really care DO or MD, I will be a doctor either way I go (I have other MD interviews this month also, and have had them prior and have declined them) so by no means am I not 'qualified' for MD school (I hate that some people think DO is a back up for EVERYONE that does not go to MD school b/c they are not smart enough blah blah...:sleep: ). I just had to pick my schools close to where I live, and the one I picked seemed to fit the cake. However USA looks good to me b/c it will be WAY cheaper plus I have a military scholarship I can apply there. Other than that, it is just another school...

R~

Yeah, doesn't that suck?, but yes it is a DO school. I dont really care DO or MD, I will be a doctor either way I go (I have other MD interviews this month also, and have had them prior and have declined them) so by no means am I not 'qualified' for MD school (I hate that some people think DO is a back up for EVERYONE that does not go to MD school b/c they are not smart enough blah blah...:sleep: ). I just had to pick my schools close to where I live, and the one I picked seemed to fit the cake. However USA looks good to me b/c it will be WAY cheaper plus I have a military scholarship I can apply there. Other than that, it is just another school...

R~

I'm an Alabama native, and love my state, so I encourage you to consider it, but you hafta do what's best for you :) As far as that 'much cheaper' comment, it sounds like you'd be OOS in Alabama. You may not know, but they've recently changed the regulations regarding establishing residency in Al. Basically it's pretty impossible now, so you'd likely be stuck with OOS tuition for all 4 years. I don't know how your military scholarship applies to that, but just a friendly FYI...

MattD or Doctor&Geek, or anyone who knows...

I have an apple, and am looking to upgrade to yet another apple. Is UASOM (do you guys call it uab?) cool with the macs, or am I buying a lot of headaches?

Still no letter of acceptance.... =/

~J

I have an apple, and am looking to upgrade to yet another apple. Is UASOM (do you guys call it uab?) cool with the macs, or am I buying a lot of headaches?

~J

The school runs its stuff on what appears to be PCs, and all the student computers in the labs are PCs. However, about 1/3 to 1/2 of our class has apples. I have a macbook & it plays nicely with the networks at UAB & UASOM. I can even send documents to the free printers through the network, using my mac.

Also, if you are planning on getting a mac, you should know that you can buy the mac-version of Microsoft Office suite for 15 bucks at the UAB bookstore. So don't blow hundreds of dollars on that software by buying it early.

If you have microsoft office for apple, you can share documents with your friends & you can read the documents that facult put out. Also, it includes powerpoint, so all the slides and stuff you download each day (count on it!)will also be compatible.

Funny thing is, I am sitting in a cafe now and there are 4 people with their computers out right now. Guess how many of them are apples? 100% Maybe macs are finally getting a decent market share.

Good luck with your application, and congratulations to all of you who will be our colleagues next year at Volker High!

~J

Dovers, you still don't have your full letter?

It's because I'm MD/MPH... the quote I got was that these letters are "much more complex to craft"...

I'm hoping for some sort of mechanical wonder instead of a letter?

Doctor/Geek -- Macs don't stink, unless you're trying to use them as a gaming platform. Still, it runs WoW.

I just received an interview invite today(3/7) but the only day left to interview is March 15th(one week away), and I wanted to see if anyone knows if there are still actual acceptances left to go out or if I would basically be interviewing for a waitlist spot. Also I am out-of-state so I dont know if that makes a difference as to when I got my interview.

I just received an interview invite today(3/7) but the only day left to interview is March 15th(one week away), and I wanted to see if anyone knows if there are still actual acceptances left to go out or if I would basically be interviewing for a waitlist spot. Also I am out-of-state so I dont know if that makes a difference as to when I got my interview.

There's no way to tell. I mean, you could probably call, but they probably won't be able to tell you. Have you got any acceptances yet?

Check out this link. Even if you are interviewing for a waitlist spot, there is significant waitlist movement among students accepted out-of-state. Also, because you were selected for interview, you have a significant chance of getting in(provided you don't completely flub the interview), as about 2/3 of out-of-state interviewees are eventually accepted(straightaway or off of the waitlist). This is because out-of-state applicants are heavily screened pre-interview.

By the way, how late did you apply? I would guess the main factors in how early you're offered an interview would be how soon they received your materials and your primary/secondary application. They also interview far less out-of-state applicants than in-state applicants. The lateness of your interview probably is not because you're out-of-state because I interviewed on 11/30 and I saw a few out-of-staters.

There's no way to tell. I mean, you could probably call, but they probably won't be able to tell you. Have you got any acceptances yet?

Check out this link. Even if you are interviewing for a waitlist spot, there is significant waitlist movement among students accepted out-of-state. Also, because you were selected for interview, you have a significant chance of getting in(provided you don't completely flub the interview), as about 2/3 of out-of-state interviewees are eventually accepted(straightaway or off of the waitlist). This is because out-of-state applicants are heavily screened pre-interview.

By the way, how late did you apply? I would guess the main factors in how early you're offered an interview would be how soon they received your materials and your primary/secondary application. They also interview far less out-of-state applicants than in-state applicants. The lateness of your interview probably is not because you're out-of-state because I interviewed on 11/30 and I saw a few out-of-staters.

I went ahead and scheduled the interview but I was planning on calling tomorrow although I doubt they will be able to give me any substantial info. I actually was complete with UAB like back in september so that is why it seemed sort of random..but to answer your first question, I have two acceptances and two waitlists after interviewing at 4 places but I really like UAB a lot and I have family in birmingham..it was just such sort notice that it will be sort of difficult to get things together/time off to fly down next week to interview. Thanks for the stats and info!

I went ahead and scheduled the interview but I was planning on calling tomorrow although I doubt they will be able to give me any substantial info. I actually was complete with UAB like back in september so that is why it seemed sort of random..but to answer your first question, I have two acceptances and two waitlists after interviewing at 4 places but I really like UAB a lot and I have family in birmingham..it was just such sort notice that it will be sort of difficult to get things together/time off to fly down next week to interview. Thanks for the stats and info!

Hey, if you like UAB, by all means, interview! The main thing is that while you may get waitlisted, you still have a good chance. The fact that you're being interviewed says a lot about your chances at UAB. The main thing I wanted to illustrate is that unlike some school, being interviewed at UAB is an indication that they really think you belong there because they don't interview out-of-staters facetiously.

does anyone know when the next committee meeting is? i interviewed feb 22, and saw some people wondering the same thing...maybe someone found out????
thanks!