You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Alabama Schools Thread Part 2!!
Started by DoctorPardi
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Bama and Donkey, congrats on getting in! I hadn't checked SDN in a while and just saw where ya'll got in...that's awesome! Ya'll are gonna do great, I think all of us should just relax for a few weeks before this thing gets started. It's been a pretty stressful year and a half, haha...
Congratulations Bama and Donkey...wow that is totally awesome...YEAH!!! I am soo happy for u guys....well..see you at USA pretty soon...can't wait....
ya, i graduated in '07. When did you grad?
'07 for me as well...small world, bama
Thanks for the congrats, loh and desidoctor! I really appreciate it. It sure has been a stressful year...i feel like i've aged 10 yrs in these last 6 months! Yeah i'll be takin her easy for the next month until class starts, that's for sure.
what were the stats for the bottom 3rd of south? (mcat, gpa) anybody know?
hey rk, as bama has said, several of us on the waiting list at both uab and usa posted our stats a couple pages back, i believe.
the stats vary, from what i've read. there doesn't seem to be any cutoff for the different tiers of waitlists. as you know, stats aren't everything; and interviews are VERY important. so there are people who got outright acceptances who may have had slightly lower stats than some of us on the alternate list.
I just got accepted to USA from the bottom third as well! I'm really excited. Question - are there any girls looking for a roommate? I'm stressing a little about finding a place to live... if anyone is interested, send me an email: allisonlott at gmail.com.
have y'all gotten an email or letter with financial aid info from USA yet? I'm still in disbelief and anxiously awaiting some tangible form of evidence to ensure that this all is not a dream.
When I talked to Mark yesterday, he said that my acceptance letter would probably be going out in the mail tomorrow as soon as they got my e-mail account set up or something like that.
does anyone remember the secondary essay prompts from last year for usa? i found the uab prompts from last year. i noticed one question asked just about your research. am i at a big disadvantage without having done research for getting into uab?
Although having some quality research is a definite plus, it's not an absolute necessity to get admission to UAB. If I were you, I would definitely have some plans for research in the future (maybe in a field that interests you). Also, it helps to show any other extracurriculars so that they can see you didn't waste time in undergrad. Also, you can always talk about your senior research project (esp. if it's in a science field). This was the boat I was in, I was worried about it while going through the application process.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Congrats bama, desidoctor and donkey! It's kind of funny we don't really know each other but I feel relieved that you guys have finally gotten in also since we have all had to struggle with the anticipation. Good Luck to everyone!
rk,
as far as I can remember I don't think there was an essay for South's secondary application. It was basically like a quick sheet that asked for a few particulars and then you mailed it back in.
rk,
as far as I can remember I don't think there was an essay for South's secondary application. It was basically like a quick sheet that asked for a few particulars and then you mailed it back in.
just got my packet from USA and i'm officially overwhelmed! haha. does anyone know how financial aid works? there's nothing in there even mentioning it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you have to get your email account set up, and you should have an email already there telling you what else you need to do about financial aid, or atleast I did. You have to get your J number to access your email, which the office of admissions has. The password is just your birthday.
Hmm. I've checked my e-mail and didn't get anything about financial aid. I'll email the office and see what's up.
I got a secondary from UAB today.. is it pre-screened?
I'm OOS, but I've been attending school at UA for the past three years. Will I get any special consideration at UAB, or will I be treated as just another OOSer with a 3% chance of admission?
That does help.
EDIT Oh, and looking at your MDApps (no MCAT yet), you'll get in.
I didn't know that would help me. Guess I can feel better about adding them to my list, then. Thanks!That does help.
EDIT Oh, and looking at your MDApps (no MCAT yet), you'll get in.
Anyone interviewed with UAB yet?
Anyone interviewed with UAB yet?
I'm still under consideration. Hopefully soon!

I thought I would take a shot at reviving this thread. It was VERY active the last couple of years.
I'm interviewing at UAB tomorrow. Here's hoping it goes better than last year...
Good Luck! I really enjoyed my interview day there.
It was in October and I (nor anyone I know) has heard anything yet. That's alright, though, because Alabama is one game away from playing for the BCS Championship!!! 😱😱😱😀😀😀




Has anybody received an interview invite from south lately? If so, when were you complete? I've only been complete since Oct 30, but I had really hoped for an invite by now. I am getting anxious as it gets later and later in the interview season. Thanks.
I interviewed on 10/02 and haven't heard anything as of yet. I have been told that a lot of the interviews to date have been out-of state folks and that the adcom is actively trying not to oversubscribe to a ridiculous amount as they have in the past.
To put it like this... 3-4 years ago they accepted almost 2x as many people as they had spots for... the next year they accepted so many that they only took 7 off of the waitlist (out of about 70). So I am under the impression that they don't want to end up having 190 people show up on the first day and are setting their admissions standards artificially high right now.
Anyways, hopefully things will start moving soon.
As far as stats go:
31S MCAT
3.4 uGPA
3.3 BCPM
volunteering, shadowing, taking graduate classes at UAB, working in R&D, good personal statement, great references...
To put it like this... 3-4 years ago they accepted almost 2x as many people as they had spots for... the next year they accepted so many that they only took 7 off of the waitlist (out of about 70). So I am under the impression that they don't want to end up having 190 people show up on the first day and are setting their admissions standards artificially high right now.
Anyways, hopefully things will start moving soon.
As far as stats go:
31S MCAT
3.4 uGPA
3.3 BCPM
volunteering, shadowing, taking graduate classes at UAB, working in R&D, good personal statement, great references...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good Luck! I really enjoyed my interview day there.
It was in October and I (nor anyone I know) has heard anything yet. That's alright, though, because Alabama is one game away from playing for the BCS Championship!!! 😱😱😱😀😀😀![]()
Go Gators.
Thanks for the well-wishing!! Hopefully I won't have anything to post on the "worst interview moments" thread. 😛
My impression with UAB is that they accept outstanding students as early as possible (so congrats UTNUT!), then wait later (Feb, March) to accept those of us with lesser stats.
My stats:
I'm instate.
MCAT 28N
UGPA-3.31
Masters at UF- 3.92
Post-bac classes at UAB 4.0
Have been working in a research lab at UAB the last two years, volunteering, and only 20 hours of shadowing (opps!)
I really wish they focused more on your most recent GPA!
My impression with UAB is that they accept outstanding students as early as possible (so congrats UTNUT!), then wait later (Feb, March) to accept those of us with lesser stats.
My stats:
I'm instate.
MCAT 28N
UGPA-3.31
Masters at UF- 3.92
Post-bac classes at UAB 4.0
Have been working in a research lab at UAB the last two years, volunteering, and only 20 hours of shadowing (opps!)
I really wish they focused more on your most recent GPA!
Has anybody received an interview invite from south lately? If so, when were you complete? I've only been complete since Oct 30, but I had really hoped for an invite by now. I am getting anxious as it gets later and later in the interview season. Thanks.
I was complete in August, received an interview in October, and was accepted (OOS) on Nov. 21.
Has anybody received an interview invite from south lately? If so, when were you complete? I've only been complete since Oct 30, but I had really hoped for an invite by now. I am getting anxious as it gets later and later in the interview season. Thanks.
You should probably hear something soon. I was complete for about a month before I heard anything. I interviewed on Nov 12th and got put "on hold." 3 of my friends have gotten in, though.
Any news from USA or UAB for anyone?
I finally got an interview at South scheduled for mid-January...but haven't heard anything from UAB.
When were you complete at South?
Hey guys, got a "remain under consideration for acceptance" email, which definitely means more waiting, and possibly a rejection in March 😕. Anybody else get news??
I got it, too.
Yeah I got that too. I think that they are trying to update the status' of applicants before the holidays. I am assuming a lot of rejections went out today as well.
Yeah, that sounds about right. I've been 'Campus Choices Received' since October.
Yeah, that sounds about right. I've been 'Campus Choices Received' since October.
Does your status actually say "Campus Choices Received"? Mine still says "Interview Complete. Remain Under Consideration". I wonder if I didn't submit my campus preferences correctly.
Has anybody else not heard from South about an interview yet? I know they have a reputation for being really slow, but I have been complete since the end of October (I'm instate, 31, 3.5). Do you guys think I should call them after the first of the year and inquire my status or just be patient?
Does your status actually say "Campus Choices Received"? Mine still says "Interview Complete. Remain Under Consideration". I wonder if I didn't submit my campus preferences correctly.
Has anybody else not heard from South about an interview yet? I know they have a reputation for being really slow, but I have been complete since the end of October (I'm instate, 31, 3.5). Do you guys think I should call them after the first of the year and inquire my status or just be patient?
Yeah, still says 'Campus Choices Received.' I know a few people whose status didn't change either, so don't worry.
As far as South, I would call. They're really friendly on the phone and will answer any questions you have. It took about a month for me to get invited to interview there, so don't sweat it too much.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all currently in the middle of the application/interview cycle this year
While I won't flat out say "don't worry about it", I think if you scroll back through last year's thread, we were all having the same questions. Though the faculty can always change the acceptance process,they probably have not. Look back through the old posts and it may answer a few questions or at least allieviate 'some' fears with at least general information dates and the terms you are seeing in your applications at this point. Good luck to everyone! If anyone is interviewing at UAB please talk to any of the medical students that are around should you have any questions while you are there for the morning.
Happy holidays
While I won't flat out say "don't worry about it", I think if you scroll back through last year's thread, we were all having the same questions. Though the faculty can always change the acceptance process,they probably have not. Look back through the old posts and it may answer a few questions or at least allieviate 'some' fears with at least general information dates and the terms you are seeing in your applications at this point. Good luck to everyone! If anyone is interviewing at UAB please talk to any of the medical students that are around should you have any questions while you are there for the morning.
Happy holidays
Come on now there has to be more people freaking out than just me?!
I'm thoroughly freaked out. Trust me.

Similar threads
- Replies
- 88
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K