Albany Med vs UBuff vs Wake Forest SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medschoolhopeful!

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to 3 schools. I am struggling with even approaching how to make a decision. I am from New York. I live about 6 hours from buffalo. I live 1 hour from Albany. I would have to take a plane to NC. I am pretty versatile and okay with living near or far from home. There will obviously be a cost difference between Buffalo's in-state tuition and Albany/Wake Forest. I am not sure what I will want to specialize in (I love cardiology but I really enjoy all parts of medicine and I know that most people change their minds while in Med school)

I would love input on what you all see as pros/cons to these schools and ultimately, what your choice would be. I also would love to hear any advice on what factors I should really focus on as I am now having to look more closely at each of the schools.

Thank you in advance!
 
WFSOM is consistently T50 @MongutheDoggy (quite literally making it "top" tier if you're dividing the 150 USMD schools into 3 tiers). Wake is the best school of the 3, however, I do agree that a marginal prestige difference is not worth the extra $15k/year. Especially since Buffalo is ~T80 and it is closer to family. I would say that would be Albany the lowest on my list of the 3 because it has high cost and low prestige.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad