Albert Einstein AECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question regarding specialties and research. I am pretty set on orhtopedics at this point and have trying to get some info about the best way to set myself up. I have heard that clinical research is basically a pre-req so I have started looking at research projects for this upcoming summer. The only thing is that Einstein doesn't have any projects in ortho. There are various other surgery fields with interesting research being conducted but I have been told that to go into ortho you need ortho research. How true is this and if it is true how should I go about finding a project in orthopedics? Also, I was wondering if the housing office can get you into the housing early if you are taking part in a research project over the summer. I have heard that they don't let you in until roughly the week before classes begin, but if this is the case then I would not be able to participate in a research project.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who interviewed in late Jan/early Feb hear anything yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
lebam said:
Anyone who interviewed in late Jan/early Feb hear anything yet?

Yeah, I was interviewed January 24 and was informed on March 9th of my acceptance!! Very excited and good luck to you....

Interviewed February 3rd, got the rejection letter in the mail today. Really upset but at least I finally heard.

any einstein students or others in the know care to comment on the social atmosphere at einstein? i simply assumed that a nyc school with jewish roots would have socially liberal leanings, if any, but the infamous pending court case and non-gay-friendly housing policy several years back have given me reason to think otherwise. i'm heterosexual, but i don't think i'd be happy at a school that raises the (for me) red flag of not being gay-friendly.

I would have assumed that einstein would be a fairly liberal school, I was a bit alarmed and surprised to hear about the anti-gay remarks that a faculty member allegedly made... I hope it's an isolated incident and not a reflection of the whole.

I also interviewed in late January and have yet to hear. When I called they said that they hadn't had reviews for three weeks. Hopefully they are just behind schedule...

I've been here for around four years now (from the west coast), and the school is a pretty liberal place. The only way I found out about all the homophobic business was reading it on this website. I've met plenty of homosexual students here on campus, and I think they have their own interest group here at the school. I also vaguely recall a couple of seminars regarding LBGT issues during the 1st/2nd years.

I remember that 4 years ago it was 1600 applicants for about 180 spots. I didn't interview until late March and I didn't get accepted until early May. So keep hoping, I guess.

I'll probably be on these boards for a bit (Psych is boring me and I'm procrastinating), so if you got any questions I can answer I'll give it a shot.

Odd, when I called today, the lady said the adcom was still meeting every week. Still on a 6-8 week timeframe though. =(

thanks, meathooks. you had me at "pretty liberal place." :love:

I interviewed end of january, we are now almost in the second week of april. It's been 10 or 11 weeks i believe, and still no word. Every time I call they tell me that I should hear something in 2 weeks, and I get the same answer 2 weeks after. I wanna go there soo bad, and they are torturing me. :(

I don't know if this was mentioned before or not, but they've done away with the whole Honors/HP/Pass/Fail business here, and the first two years are now P/F. Definitely takes some of the stress off and increases time for playing in the city. The only catch is that if you want good boards, you have to take it upon yourself. The tests in no way resemble the USMLE.

Members don't see this ad :)
meathooks said:
the first two years are now P/F.

Seriously? That rocks, AECOM just keeps getting better and better.

wildcatbio06 said:
Seriously? That rocks, AECOM just keeps getting better and better.

During the first two years, students say that they don't even find out which questions they answer correctly/incorrectly on their exams unless they fail. And, doesn't administration still keep track of students scores for class rank/AOA purposes even though students don't know where they stand? P/F may be low stress, but it has some tradeoffs.

TheMightyAngus said:
During the first two years, students say that they don't even find out which questions they answer correctly/incorrectly on their exams unless they fail. And, doesn't administration still keep track of students scores for class rank/AOA purposes even though students don't know where they stand? P/F may be low stress, but it has some tradeoffs.

dont think it's anything personal against AECOM. All top schools in the country are changing to p/f cos it fosters what team work which is very iimportant vs over the head competition. So if this goes against AECOM, it also goes against like more than half of the nations's med schools.

temmie said:
dont think it's anything personal against AECOM. All top schools in the country are changing to p/f cos it fosters what team work which is very iimportant vs over the head competition. So if this goes against AECOM, it also goes against like more than half of the nations's med schools.

Just because Harvard/Yale/etc do away with grades, doesn't mean that everyone else should.

TheMightyAngus said:
Just because Harvard/Yale/etc do away with grades, doesn't mean that everyone else should.
no it does not. But i think if a school is doing something that improves the quality of doctors they produce, i dont see anything wrong in other schools following their example:

temmie said:
no it does not. But i think if a school is doing something that improves the quality of doctors they produce, i dont see anything wrong in other schools following their example:

This is extreme. Does a pass/fail basic science curriculum really improve the quality of doctors? No. Schools with standard grading scales produce excellent physicians as well. Schools have P/F because residency programs only care about clinical grades, so there's no point in making people stress out over the first two years. But is this really a sufficient reason to prevent students from assessing their own performance? Would the chance to review your own exam really foster a negative learning environment? IMHO, no.

TheMightyAngus said:
Would the chance to review your own exam really foster a negative learning environment? .

i agree with this point.

Initially it was only the fist year that was pass/fail. However, mine was the first year in which that applied to the second years as well. I think it fosters more of a sense of cooperation. Here are the reasons I think we're better off:

1) The means were getting to be rediculous. I remember that the year before I became a second year, a 98% was required on the Repro exam to get honors.

2) Nobody cares about your basic science grades. Most places use your USMLE to evaluate that. If you don't study during your first two years, your boards are going to suck.

3) The administration does not use your actual scores in determining rank/AOA. We've had detailed discussions with the administration, and they rely upon third year clerkships and boards scores for the selection process. I'm not too sure if we're even ranked (though I may be wrong). I know that it doesn't appear in your dean's letter.

Any recent decisions from AECOM?

WayChanger said:
Any recent decisions from AECOM?

Interviewed first week of Feb. Called 1 week ago and was told no decision yet, but to expect one soon.

DeigoT said:
Interviewed first week of Feb. Called 1 week ago and was told no decision yet, but to expect one soon.

I interviewed in early March, I'm still waiting... I'm really hoping for good news! Once I hear back from Einstein, I think I'm ready to make a decision!

Guys i need help. It's great to see youguys so excited about going to AECOM. I have been accepted with some good scholarship offer but i cant get myself excited about going there.
I currently live in cali and will have to move to new york and i am grateful for getting accepted.
Help me get excited.

I'm really puzzled by what the adcom has been doing for the past 4 months or so...have they just been chilling? It seems like no news since the January acceptances...

The adcom is apparently on a break until May, according to the office...

Has any1 gotten the housing forms yet or any info on that biochem refresher course?

zero2hero said:
Has any1 gotten the housing forms yet or any info on that biochem refresher course?

or a fin aid package?

zero2hero said:

Not yet... but please post on here if anyone does get the housing forms. I thought we were supposed to get them in early April.

Anyone heard back lately?

i called about the financial aid package, as i want to make a decision on where to go before may 15th, but they said that the dean needs to finalize their tuition rates before they can make a finaid package...hope this helps.

newyorker21 said:
i called about the financial aid package, as i want to make a decision on where to go before may 15th, but they said that the dean needs to finalize their tuition rates before they can make a finaid package...hope this helps.

But did they say we'll get them before May 15th? Thanks.

i think it would be best if this thread were reserved for general substantive questions about the school that will probably be true in the years to come, rather than specific administrative questions about this year's application process. as it stands, those who search for substantive questions about the school in years to come will be annoyed by this entire page so far.

folks interested in the administrative issues for this year's app cycle should go to the "aecom c/o 2010" thread in the allo class forums, where you should encounter more people who can help with those concerns.

chaos is bad, mkay?

i am planning on calling again by the end of this week to see if tuition is finalized...they said it *should* be finalized before may 15th, but if you are in my situation and definitely need finaid before then, i would call to see...

I interviewed earlier this year and haven't received a decision. I called on Monday as was told they just got back from break and to expect a decision around the end of May. They are kidding, right?? That just messes up my plans. I definately have other options, but Einstein is my first choice so I wanted to know where I stand before May 15. I wanted to make decisions about relocating soon but this has now put me in a quandary.

That's quite frustrating. Perhaps you could contact your interviewer to see where you are on the review schedule?

no, what's frustrating is that this entire page of dialogue should be in the "aecom c/o 2010" thread in the allo class forums, where it would be more appropriate and receive better responses.

sanford_w/o_son said:
no, what's frustrating is that this entire page of dialogue should be in the "aecom c/o 2010" thread in the allo class forums, where it would be more appropriate and receive better responses.

Everyone on that thread has already been accepted, and is currently in the midst of discussing financial aid questions. I'm not really sure why they would be better able to answer questions from applicants still waiting to hear back...

WayChanger said:
Everyone on that thread has already been accepted, and is currently in the midst of discussing financial aid questions. I'm not really sure why they would be better able to answer questions from applicants still waiting to hear back...

if you've been accepted, then the c/o X threads are perfect for you. yes, i think that students who've just been accepted and have maybe already gotten info on the dates/types/amounts of housing or financial aid can better tell you about this administrative stuff than the current aecom students who initially expressed a desire to answer substantive questions about the school. and it's also a more approptiate place to do this. or start your own "what's going on with aecom in the 2005-6 cycle" thread. people searching to read substantive stuff on aecom five years from now to decide whether to apply or attend aren't going to care about when people learned about their housing options five years prior.

Hi i was wondering if anyone could let me know how Albert Einstein (Bronx) compares with University of Illinois at Chicago with respect to neurology

Thanks Ribs for starting this thread. I too was recently accepted to AECOM, but I am a smalltown kind of guy. I have lived in ALB. NM pretty much my entire life, and my wife and I would like to have a child while in med school.

We currently have a house that is about 1200 sq ft. and two dogs. Needless to say, family life is very important to me, and I really want my wife to be happy. Can you tell me how big the studio is in student housing, and also is there anyway to have a housing situation with at lest 1200 sq. ft. anywhere?

Einstien is probably one of the best schools I have been accepted at so far, but I don't know if I can make the move to NY with my wife?

Again thanks for this thread and any advice you can give. :)

Thanks Ribs for starting this thread. I too was recently accepted to AECOM, but I am a smalltown kind of guy. I have lived in ALB. NM pretty much my entire life, and my wife and I would like to have a child while in med school.

We currently have a house that is about 1200 sq ft. and two dogs. Needless to say, family life is very important to me, and I really want my wife to be happy. Can you tell me how big the studio is in student housing, and also is there anyway to have a housing situation with at lest 1200 sq. ft. anywhere?

Einstien is probably one of the best schools I have been accepted at so far, but I don't know if I can make the move to NY with my wife?

Again thanks for this thread and any advice you can give. :)

Ugh, Ribs hasn't posted since 2004. Are there any current AECOM students or alum that can answer our questions?