Albert Einstein Housing help! Urgent!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DblHelix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i have an interview coming up at NYMC, i'm on the west coast. But, I was just accepted to AECOM and am very excited. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for me to go to the interview. It's a very big hassle for me to go on this interview due to the increased stress level of travelling and flying, effort, money, and missing work. I'm leaning towards no because I loved AE but my only concern with AECOM is the housing. I, unfortunately, had to miss the housing part of the tour because my interview was early, so any help would be great.

But my main question is, if you have a significant other, not married yet but been together for 4 years, can they live with you in the housing? How does that work if they want to come with you?

Also, if you just lived with other students, do you have to share a room? I don't mind sharing an apartment, but I don't think I can share a room again.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so i have an interview coming up at NYMC, i'm on the west coast. But, I was just accepted to AECOM and am very excited. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for me to go to the interview. It's a very big hassle for me to go on this interview due to the increased stress level of travelling and flying, effort, money, and missing work. I'm leaning towards no because I loved AE but my only concern with AECOM is the housing. I, unfortunately, had to miss the housing part of the tour because my interview was early, so any help would be great.

But my main question is, if you have a significant other, not married yet but been together for 4 years, can they live with you in the housing? How does that work if they want to come with you?

Also, if you just lived with other students, do you have to share a room? I don't mind sharing an apartment, but I don't think I can share a room again.

Please help! i need to make a decision quick.

Call them!

I wouldn't go to NYMC over AECOM. I think they said you could live with a SO if you proved you lived together before, or have a joint bank account, etc. And none of the apartments I saw had anyone sharing a room. Everyone had their own room. But I would suggest you call AECOM and get the details. and congrats on your acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)

Call em like Monkey said. I don't really remember them mentioning couples housing in those apartments but it was such a long time ago that I might be mistaken. The bed rooms are singles. :luck:

haha. this was actually a big deal some years ago, when aecom was sued for sexual orientation discrimination in housing:

http://www.aclu.org/lgbt/relationships/12280prs20000419.html?s_src=RSS

so, since they now have to allow (unmarried) homosexual couples to live together as partners, i would wager that they don't make the married/unmarried distinction among heterosexual couples as well. but contacting them would be the way to fiind out.

as i understood it and saw, there are no shared rooms in aecom's very spacious apartments.

You guys have made me much happier. Thank you! I'm going to cancel my NYMC interview now. I really can't find anything wrong with AECOM and I don't think I would choose NYMC over AECOM.

I wouldn't go to NYMC over AECOM. I think they said you could live with a SO if you proved you lived together before, or have a joint bank account, etc. And none of the apartments I saw had anyone sharing a room. Everyone had their own room. But I would suggest you call AECOM and get the details. and congrats on your acceptance!

The couples housing wasn't part of the tour at NYMC but they have it. Those apartments are more expensive in rent and do not come furnished though. Oh wait, are you talking about AECOM in the last bit?

You guys have made me much happier. Thank you! I'm going to cancel my NYMC interview now. I really can't find anything wrong with AECOM and I don't think I would choose NYMC over AECOM.

Hmm you could interview NYMC, maybe get in and decide for financial reasons? Both are extremely expensive schools and both have similiar indebtness along with living costs. If that will not be a factor, I wish you the best of luck at AECOM. :)

Yeah, it'll be the same financially so that isn't a concern

Just called them and they said you can live with your significant other in a studio. Yay!

So, for follow up, has anyone ever seen a studio? how big are they?

Oh I meant wait and see which one gives you more financial aid.

Yeah but i'm not a particularly strong applicant so I don't think I'll get tons of financial aid, or at least enough to make a sizeable difference.

yeah, i'd say just go with aecom and be happy.

Bumping, in hopes that someone can answer the question as to how big the studio apartments are?? I too am curious about this, and it will really factor into my final decision. Thanks. ;)

Bumping, in hopes that someone can answer the question as to how big the studio apartments are?? I too am curious about this, and it will really factor into my final decision. Thanks. ;)

most of their studios are converted 2 bedrooms, which means 2 things, 1) their two bedrooms are small (b/c the shared space gets taken) and 2) their studies are fairly large. but it's all relative. i think i'd be comfortable with my boyfriend in their studios...

I am a current PhD student (4th year) at AECOM and have lived in housing the whole time. When I started, I had just been married and moved into a studio with my wife. At that time, you had to be married to have a studio with a non-student significant other. They may have changed their policies, and I know people who said they are engaged (but really aren't) that have a studio.

The studio are pretty small (about 500 sq. feet) and have a little alcove area where most people put their bed. If you and your bf or gf have similar sleep habits, especially when you go to bed, it's good. My wife is a teacher and she went to bed early, while I stayed up late, and it was really hard to have a light on or the TV. You can have them put up a wall/door for $1000 bucks, which may be worth it because it will take a few years on the 1BR waiting list to get one.

The two BR converted to a studio is not accurate. I believe what the poster is confusing it with is this: They take a 2BR apartment, which is only for married couples with children and add a wall in the living room to make a third BR. If you are a single student you go into one of these 3BR apartments, one student per BR, and a small common living room, a kitchen, and one bathroom.

AECOM is a great place...I'm friends with many med students here and they are a very close group, have a lot of fun, parties etc... and are dedicated students. There are a lot of opportunities here for rotations because of the many hospitals in the area. I hope I helped you, can you now help me?

I just had some general questions about applications as I am a bit out of the loop. I’m finishing my PhD in Molecular Genetics and would like to attend medical school. I’m 28 and haven’t touched orgo or physics for almost 10 years and am trying desperately to review them and complete my thesis. I would like to take the MCAT as late as possible without falling behind in the application process…here are my questions.

1-How important is it to submit the AMCAS in early June? Do medical schools tend to take the earlier students? The earliest I’ll be prepared for the MCATs is in May, but I know if I take them in June that I would most likely get a better score.

2-If the answer to number 1 is to submit by June, then my question is if I take the MCATs twice (May and June) will they look at the top score or both?

3-How important is it to “shadow” a doctor before applying?

I am a current PhD student (4th year) at AECOM and have lived in housing the whole time. When I started, I had just been married and moved into a studio with my wife. At that time, you had to be married to have a studio with a non-student significant other. They may have changed their policies, and I know people who said they are engaged (but really aren't) that have a studio.

The studio are pretty small (about 500 sq. feet) and have a little alcove area where most people put their bed. If you and your bf or gf have similar sleep habits, especially when you go to bed, it's good. My wife is a teacher and she went to bed early, while I stayed up late, and it was really hard to have a light on or the TV. You can have them put up a wall/door for $1000 bucks, which may be worth it because it will take a few years on the 1BR waiting list to get one.

The two BR converted to a studio is not accurate. I believe what the poster is confusing it with is this: They take a 2BR apartment, which is only for married couples with children and add a wall in the living room to make a third BR. If you are a single student you go into one of these 3BR apartments, one student per BR, and a small common living room, a kitchen, and one bathroom.

AECOM is a great place...I'm friends with many med students here and they are a very close group, have a lot of fun, parties etc... and are dedicated students. There are a lot of opportunities here for rotations because of the many hospitals in the area. I hope I helped you, can you now help me?

I just had some general questions about applications as I am a bit out of the loop. I'm finishing my PhD in Molecular Genetics and would like to attend medical school. I'm 28 and haven't touched orgo or physics for almost 10 years and am trying desperately to review them and complete my thesis. I would like to take the MCAT as late as possible without falling behind in the application process…here are my questions.

1-How important is it to submit the AMCAS in early June? Do medical schools tend to take the earlier students? The earliest I'll be prepared for the MCATs is in May, but I know if I take them in June that I would most likely get a better score.

2-If the answer to number 1 is to submit by June, then my question is if I take the MCATs twice (May and June) will they look at the top score or both?

3-How important is it to "shadow" a doctor before applying?

1. i don't think one month will really make a difference. since most schools will send you secondary apps regardless of your stats, you can go ahead and work on them while you're waiting for your mcat score. i'd imagine you'd still have a complete application at an "early" time in the application process.

2. different schools do different things with multiple mcats. on average, the best thing for you is to only take it once. i'd shoot for june and not worry about may.

3. the sine qua non of medical school admissions is to have a good amount of prior exposure to the medical profession and patients. they want you to know what you're getting into. shadow or volunteer somewhere for a good amount of time.

the non-trad forum might be especially useful.

I'll check out those other forums too.:)

I'll check out those other forums too.:)

Choppo thanks so much for the post. My advice to you is to take it in June. One month won't make that much of a difference, at least enough of a difference to make the extra stress and possibly lower MCAT score worth it.

Yeah, when I called them, they said you don't have to be married. But you do have to sign an affidavit (sorry for the spelling) saying you are a couple, and it helps to have lived together before or have a joint bank account to prove it.

Can I ask another question? How did your wife like living in an apartment complex with mostly AE students? Did she ever feel left out or not a part of the scene? I didn't see the housing so I'm not sure if it has a dorm like feel or just like a regular, quiet apartment building...