Albert Einstein vs. Albany Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone decision made!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What do you wanna match in NYC? If it's a competitive specialty, I would go for Einstein. Otherwise, go with Albany -- a full ride is hard to pass up!

For me personally, I would go with Einstein, because I really can't see myself going to Albany even with a full ride for the cons you mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you wanna match in NYC? If it's a competitive specialty, I would go for Einstein. Otherwise, go with Albany -- a full ride is hard to pass up!

For me personally, I would go with Einstein, because I really can't see myself going to Albany even with a full ride for the cons you mentioned.

Yea I'm from here and I want to stay in NYC.

I would suggest Einstein, especially since that is your dream school and that's where you would be happiest. Also, P/F grading makes a huge difference. Although you will have to take 180k in loans, that won't really matter much in the long run. Your mental health and comfortability is much more important.

I would go to Einstein since I don't think I would be happy at Albany, and you can't put a price-tag on your well-being. Einstein will also offer you more opportunities and prestige, but if you're hard-working and self-starting, you can find great success at any US MD school.

Reactions: 1 users
Take the full ride! Albany's a great school, and a strong student at any school will do wherever they go. The debt would be a huge burden, and I can't see Einstein opening up that many more doors.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
M4 perspective here. If I was in your place, I would take the full ride. Think about residency for a minute. You will be working and paying most of our loans. If you take that full ride, you will be working, probably building a family, and have few bucks here and there to go out. Yes somewhat rank is important, but Albany is a very well establish US MD school. If your thread was Einstein vs. NOVA MD (FULL RIDE), I would say Einstein with a heartbeat since NOVA isnt as established yet. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
I would take the full ride. Not having to worry about loans takes out a huge burden. Plus you dont need to go to a NYC school to match in NYC.

Would you mind sharing why?

Having been to both (interviewed at Einstein) I think your average student would be far happier at Einstein. It's very hard to beat. The student accommodations and facilities were top-notch, great location (21 bus pickup right on campus), and a very robust research system.

Albany is Albany. What everyone has said about the school itself is true, but your happiness matters.

Absolutely take the full ride. Hop the train to NYC when you want to go down. Lots of Albany students match into NYC programs. NYU, Mount Sinai, Stony Brook, Maimonides, Columbia, Montefiore, Cornell are all on this year's match list, all multiple times. $300,000+ at graduation is no joke. Albany will get you where you want to go.

Absolutely take the full ride. Hop the train to NYC when you want to go down. Lots of Albany students match into NYC programs. NYU, Mount Sinai, Stony Brook, Maimonides, Columbia, Montefiore, Cornell are all on this year's match list, all multiple times. $300,000+ at graduation is no joke. Albany will get you where you want to go.

Except it's not 300k+ it's only 180k.

I'd go Einstein.

How do you figure $180k? Are you just taking the yearly tuition, multiplying by 4, and rounding down? Are you not factoring in COL and interest?

I figure 180k because of the original posters comment about how much total debt they would accrue. The poster also mentioned that they received a scholarship. I'm assuming the poster is intelligent enough to do these calculations themselves

From my rough calculations, even with the scholarship, somewhere around $180K.

Reactions: 2 users
No I am also accounting for COL. 180K is without interest, just the debt upon graduating.

FYI, interest starts accruing the moment the loans are disbursed, even though you're still in school and not paying them. I'm not sure how you're accounting for the COL difference between Albany and Einstein, either. That's probably $10,000 per year difference by itself.

FYI, interest starts accruing the moment the loans are disbursed, even though you're still in school and not paying them. I'm not sure how you're accounting for the COL difference between Albany and Einstein, either. That's probably $10,000 per year difference by itself.

The COL would be the same between them actually. The housing in Einstein is pretty cheap and comparable to Albany. Albany's COL actually might be more expensive because I would have to get a car. You're right about the interest though, that's something I didn't factor in yet.

@aspiringdoc93 Just curious, what were the circumstances of the full ride to Albany med? I was unaware that they offered such a scholarship. I've only heard of them offering scholarships after the second year.