You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Albert Einstein (Yeshiva) Medical School... How Jewish is it?
Started by DoctorB
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
DoctorB said:Does anyone know what percent of the students at Albert Einstein Medical School are Jewish? Does it help if you are Jewish in getting into this school?
I appreciate your responses!
i'm a big fan of jews and all, but i was just wondering if einstein's schedule is based on jewish holidays/religious days of the week. i heard that the library is closed on saturdays or something?
Duchess742 said:i'm a big fan of jews and all, but i was just wondering if einstein's schedule is based on jewish holidays/religious days of the week. i heard that the library is closed on saturdays or something?
Yes the library is closed on Saturdays but i hear there's another library close by that ppl study at. The food in the cafeteria is Kosher and the school is closed on the Jewish holidays.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
though i aint jewish, i love those herring 😍
smilesss said:Yes the library is closed on Saturdays but i hear there's another library close by that ppl study at. The food in the cafeteria is Kosher and the school is closed on the Jewish holidays.
Heh, that has to be somewhat of a drawback to alot of people.
Hmmm, well all the japs are jews and half the jews are japs.
oy vey
oy vey
The school does not give preference to NY residents.istream said:is the school too new york resident friendly? would you apply if you were non-jewish and had avg numbers?
A substantial percentage of the class is not Jewish so this should not in itself be a consideration. Its very highly regarded med school with strong NIH funding.
great school but you gotta consider the area too. a doc i shadow loved the experience at Einstien, did his residency in the bronx- saw tons of stuff in his emergency medicine residency. but... also mentioned a classmate was shoved into his own car's trunk and another mugged at gunpoint. you see lots of innercity violence in the hospitals and on the streets. safety is a concern for me as I don't think I will end up practicing in the innercity. I've heard other safety concerns with the area Columbia is in too. just fyi.
istream said:is the school too new york resident friendly? would you apply if you were non-jewish and had avg numbers?
yes because i live in a couple blocks from the school
i'm not jewish so i don't no if that will work for me but i hear they accept almost everbody(please don't quote me on that) and they have a great cancer research program
DiFranco said:^ Whaa? Is it really that dangerous in the area? I thought the Yankees played there.
I hate when people hear the word "bronx" they think men holding gun's on the side of the street 😡
No it's not a dangerous area
it's on the north side of the bronx
in the pelham park area which is very quiet(so no guns people)
and yes the yankee stadium is in the bronx but it's closer to the manhattan side
I hate when people hear the word "bronx" they think men holding gun's on the side of the street 😡
No it's not a dangerous area
it's on the north side of the bronx
in the pelham park area which is very quiet(so no guns people)
and yes the yankee stadium is in the bronx but it's closer to the manhattan side
ty ...fyi is correct. It's really not bad by Einstein and I've been there a lot. With regard to the Jewish thing. the student body is NOT predominantly anything. They pride themselves very highly on diversity, and there is no leaning towards accepting Jews. With regard to why the scheduling is the way it is. When Albert Einstein allowed the use of his name for a medical college there were very few opportunities for Jews in Medicine and the sciences. He envisioned a top tier school which could allow the integration of all peoples, learning together, and becoming amazing doctors. As I understand it, he felt so strongly that he required certain minor scheduling changes take place, and they have been in place ever since. If you walk the halls by Einstein you will see posters of documents he drafted or the one address he gave at the groundbreaking (he hardly ever made public speeches, and only spoke at the groundbreaking) which make it very clear that there should be no leaning towards Jews simply just a medical college that would give them a chance. hope that straightens things up.
great school but you gotta consider the area too. a doc i shadow loved the experience at Einstien, did his residency in the bronx- saw tons of stuff in his emergency medicine residency. but... also mentioned a classmate was shoved into his own car's trunk and another mugged at gunpoint. you see lots of innercity violence in the hospitals and on the streets. safety is a concern for me as I don't think I will end up practicing in the innercity. I've heard other safety concerns with the area Columbia is in too. just fyi.
I mean, no offense, but I notice that suburban/rural kids who attend college/med school in urban environments always have an increased risk of getting 'attacked' than someone who grew up in a city or who has their 'wits about them.' I bet you if you ask what time of night this occurred, they would say "oh 2 AM and I was by myself listening to my Ipod while I walked to my car...".
The neighborhood Einstein is in is not that dangerous and is actually next to a predominantly White (mostly Italian and Irish) neighborhood (if that helps ease your fears...heavy sarcasm)...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean, no offense, but I notice that suburban/rural kids who attend college/med school in urban environments always have an increased risk of getting 'attacked' than someone who grew up in a city or who has their 'wits about them.' I bet you if you ask what time of night this occurred, they would say "oh 2 AM and I was by myself listening to my Ipod while I walked to my car...".
The neighborhood Einstein is in is not that dangerous and is actually next to a predominantly White (mostly Italian and Irish) neighborhood (if that helps ease your fears...heavy sarcasm)...
It also depends on the time period this happen. My dad went to NYMC when it was on fifth avenue in the 60s. As a native new yorker form brooklyn he recalled guys walking off with docs car batteries, and all sorts of bad stuff going on. Now I feel safer in New York than I do in a LOT of places....use common sense and odds are in your favor nothing bad will happen.
I mean, no offense, but I notice that suburban/rural kids who attend college/med school in urban environments always have an increased risk of getting 'attacked' than someone who grew up in a city or who has their 'wits about them.' I bet you if you ask what time of night this occurred, they would say "oh 2 AM and I was by myself listening to my Ipod while I walked to my car...".
The neighborhood Einstein is in is not that dangerous and is actually next to a predominantly White (mostly Italian and Irish) neighborhood (if that helps ease your fears...heavy sarcasm)...
man i said almost this exact same thing in another thread lol
Does anyone know what percent of the students at Albert Einstein Medical School are Jewish? Does it help if you are Jewish in getting into this school?
I appreciate your responses!
what the hell does it matter
I think he/she is worried about fitting in/getting in. I don't think it has any prejudice connotation.
isn't AE anti-gay... or was that Mt. Sinai ?
You better double check your applications and make sure. Wouldn't want to make that mistake and get lynched UMP.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 2K