Algebra based physics & MCAT prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CopToEM

Livin' the Dream
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the standard algebra based physics this academic year. As expected, everything thus far is pretty much plug and chug.

Our professor told us last week that one of the hardest parts of algebra-based Physics was remembering all of the formulas. However, she went on to say that's negated in her course because she allows us to bring a 3x5 notecard to all exams with as many formulas written on it as we can.

Obviously, that's a crutch. Would not memorizing the formulas as I go hinder me greatly when it comes to preparing and taking the MCAT? Is rote memorization of Physics formulas necessary for both passage and discrete questions on the MCAT?

Obviously I'll make the card but I don't want to use it as a crutch if it will only come back to bite me later.

Thanks all! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking the standard algebra based physics this academic year. As expected, everything thus far is pretty much plug and chug.

Our professor told us last week that one of the hardest parts of algebra-based Physics was remembering all of the formulas. However, she went on to say that's negated in her course because she allows us to bring a 3x5 notecard to all exams with as many formulas written on it as we can.

Obviously, that's a crutch. Would not memorizing the formulas as I go hinder me greatly when it comes to preparing and taking the MCAT? Is rote memorization of Physics formulas necessary for both passage and discrete questions on the MCAT?

Obviously I'll make the card but I don't want to use it as a crutch if it will only come back to bite me later.

Thanks all! :cool:

Why not just keep the notecards and keep looking at them later...like even after you're done with the class.

Why not just keep the notecards and keep looking at them later...like even after you're done with the class.

I certainly will!

A few of us were just discussing whether or not this was a good idea for anyone planning on taking entrance tests for various pre-professional fields. I'd imagine it would be terrible for it to come time for MCAT review and realize I need to recall an entire year's worth of formulas that I never memorized because we had notecards.

However, if rote memorization of the formulas isn't that important to begin with it for MCAT preparation, so be it... path of least resistance!

During your physics course, make sure you focus on the concepts behind the formulas. Know why they're written the way they are and gain an intuitive understanding. After doing that, you'll be able to easily grasp the formulas. Plus, chances are you'll forget the exact formula anyway by the time you study for the MCAT. However, you should remember the concepts if you put in the work now. Finally, you'll probably memorize the formulas naturally during your MCAT studying by taking tons of practice passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are quite a few formulas I memorized for the MCAT. Basically, anything I found myself using more than occasionally during class went on a notecard and into the brain via flashcard.

The simple ones should be a no-brainer. I went to the trouble of memorizing a couple of the more complicated ones (like Bernoulli's) since I could and because it helped me remember relationships when I needed to.

Don't feel bad about using the notecards for the class; remember that your GPA is (approximately...) as important as the MCAT. Do whatever you can to get the best score you can in your class, but I would definitely try to memorize some of the basic formulas along the way.

During your physics course, make sure you focus on the concepts behind the formulas. Know why they're written the way they are and gain an intuitive understanding. After doing that, you'll be able to easily grasp the formulas. Plus, chances are you'll forget the exact formula anyway by the time you study for the MCAT. However, you should remember the concepts if you put in the work now. Finally, you'll probably memorize the formulas naturally during your MCAT studying by taking tons of practice passages.

:thumbup: Perfect, thank you for the advice!