Alitus one on one tutiring worth it??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golden-Future

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Altius one on one tutoring worth it??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

While I can't say from personal experience, I have yet to hear a good review from my peers about Altius. Of course, take this with a grain of salt!

Hope this helps!

Best,
On the Waitlist Podcast.

Altius one on one tutoring worth it??
I've had a few friends who were tutors for the Altius program and even more friends who have taken their courses. Disclaimer: I did not enroll in their course but I did use their practice tests.

I was able to pick the brains of my friends who were tutors and they had good strategies for taking the test. I usually do better learning outside of a class so that's why I didn't pay for the course. It seemed like the biggest help it gave for my buddies who took the actual course was the accountability of having to report to someone how you were doing. The course itself seems pretty intense. I'm not sure where you're located, but I think most of their tutors are out here in Utah so you may have to do it over Skype if that bothers you. Not 100% sure on that though.

I think they used to have someone from their company on these boards if you have any questions.

I've had a few friends who were tutors for the Altius program and even more friends who have taken their courses. Disclaimer: I did not enroll in their course but I did use their practice tests.

I was able to pick the brains of my friends who were tutors and they had good strategies for taking the test. I usually do better learning outside of a class so that's why I didn't pay for the course. It seemed like the biggest help it gave for my buddies who took the actual course was the accountability of having to report to someone how you were doing. The course itself seems pretty intense. I'm not sure where you're located, but I think most of their tutors are out here in Utah so you may have to do it over Skype if that bothers you. Not 100% sure on that though.

I think they used to have someone from their company on these boards if you have any questions.

Well I wont be doing the course I will just be getting tutoring, basically going over the practice exams and teaching strategy. Its online live chat.
I don't know if its worth it, but I know I need some strategy cause my practice scores are not where they need to be.

Do you have any suggestions?? I don't want to spend 2k on a course that wont help. The tutoring will be less than 1k.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I wont be doing the course I will just be getting tutoring, basically going over the practice exams and teaching strategy. Its online live chat.
I don't know if its worth it, but I know I need some strategy cause my practice scores are not where they need to be.

Do you have any suggestions?? I don't want to spend 2k on a course that wont help. The tutoring will be less than 1k.
How much does the tutoring cost? How many hours is it? I liked their practice exams and thought they were good. The CARS was pretty tough but prepared me well for the real thing. Each problem has a fairly good explanation of the answers for each question already. They say why the wrong ones are wrong and why the right one is correct. If it's a lot of money, maybe try taking a practice test and agreeing if the explanations are enough without having to go over with a tutor.

The price of on line classes and chat services is absurd. What a ripoff. Save the money and get more materials.

Reactions: 1 user
How much does the tutoring cost? How many hours is it? I liked their practice exams and thought they were good. The CARS was pretty tough but prepared me well for the real thing. Each problem has a fairly good explanation of the answers for each question already. They say why the wrong ones are wrong and why the right one is correct. If it's a lot of money, maybe try taking a practice test and agreeing if the explanations are enough without having to go over with a tutor.

The tutoring is $75 a session and you schedule how many sections you want and the time frame. I think they are 1 hour each session.

This will be my second time taking the MCAT, I already have done all the AAMC material. And I feel I need some guidance as to why I'm not where I should be, because content wise I'm strong, but I somehow can't translate it to the exam.
My worse is CARS, it has never budged from a 126 in practice, and I got lower on the real MCAT. I'm usually do it myself person, but I feel lost.

Should I buy a different company's resources? Does other companies have tutoring?

The price of on line classes and chat services is absurd. What a ripoff. Save the money and get more materials.

What materials do you recommend? This is my second time taking the MCAT. I have done all the AAMC material 2-3x.

-I have been doing the U world free trial

This will be my second time taking the MCAT, I already have done all the AAMC material. And I feel I need some guidance as to why I'm not where I should be, because content wise I'm strong, but I somehow can't translate it to the exam.
My worse is CARS, it has never budged from a 126 in practice, and I got lower on the real MCAT. I'm usually do it myself person, but I feel lost.

I have a 3.7 GPA, but I scored in the 99th percentile on my test. I think part of it is natural test-taking ability, but I do think that Altius' strategies helped me a lot. If your weakness is strategy, then simply studying more or reading more books probably isn't going to increase your score a lot. You might be able to find good strategies on SDN. If not, 1-on-1 might be a good option if you have the money.

1-on-1 tutoring probably will help, whether with Altius or another program, because they can help you identify patterns in your test-taking that you should work on. As for Altius itself, I know that the entire program was worth it to me, but I can't really comment on the usefulness of just the tutoring sessions. I liked mine, but they weren't the most valuable part of the program to me (I liked the practice tests and group work better, but that's potentially just my learning style). All of Altius' tutors scored 95th percentile or above, so they definitely know the MCAT, but obviously some of them are going to be more helpful than others.

I'd say your best bet is trying out a tutoring session or two, specifically tell them at the beginning that you want help with strategy, and see how they go. If you don't like the tutor, ask to switch, and if you don't think Altius is working for you, try another program. I haven't heard of other companies that do 1-on-1 tutoring, but I'm sure they would also be effective if they exist.

If you're really wanting the answer that question, you can try it firsthand with little to zero risk. All the courses come with a 14-Day Money-Back Trial Period. We also have the $15-Buck-MCAT Offer (link in my signature), that gives you one full-length Altius exam, plus a FREE 1-Hour session with one of our 95th-100th percentile mentors. If you love it, golden. If you don't, you only spent $15 and the exam you got is worth $40!

Reactions: 1 user
I took Altius, and I believe it was worth it. I think the reason I did so well is because Altius helped me along the way. They gave me access to so many amazing resources and have a step-by-step program that truly builds your knowledge. The price for any prep course is hefty, but I think since there is a lot riding on this test, you want to get your money's worth. Altius definitely gives you amazing support and knowledge. Plus, they guarantee a 90th percentile, so you can be confident you're going to crush it.

Tutoring was totally worth it with Altius. I would pick your tutors brain about MCAT strategy rather than content. The cool thing is your tutor is not some science professor, but a student like you who actually took and crushed the MCAT. You got this!! Good luck

Altius really changed the way that I approached taking the MCAT. Instead of being nervous and scared, I approached it with the confidence that I could get a great score if I put in the work. My tutor helped me set a goal that I honestly didn't think was attainable at first. However, after getting partway through the program I began to see some real improvement in my practice exam scores and started to see that if I pushed myself that I might actually be able to reach my score goal. If anyone is searching for a program that will push them and help them achieve the highest score possible, Altius is what I would recommend.