Alkyne Hydration Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w4nt2baDDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The following picture shows the confusion I have about the following alkyne hydration reactions:

Alkyne Hydration Question.jpg

These reactions are from Chad's reaction list and I tried to check the road maps in the Ochem Destroyer but couldn't find these.

Can anyone verify if alkyne location is critical to their success?

Members don't see this ad.

.2:0.0.0.0.0">.2:0.0.0.0.0.0">Here is what to do..... When hydrating a terminal alkyne, use H2S04, water, and HgS04....although simple acid catalysis is known. The result will be a ketone. This also works for internal alkynes, but they should be symmetrical to avoid an isomeric mixture. If you desire an aldehyde, things are a bit more tricky. Use BH3, peroxide and base if the alkyne is INTERNAL. For terminal alkynes, use a bulky Borane such as Sia2BH. This is used to prevent alcohol formation. The details aren't that important for the DAT, however. The yields of these reactions are often over 90%. Use these suggestions and you will be fine.

Good luck on the DAT

Dr. Jim Romano

Last edited:
Thanks orgoman, sounds like H2SO4 and HgSO4 work on both internal and external alkynes.

I didn't know about the BH3/H2O2/-OH reaction to make an internal alkyne turn into an aldehyde, that's helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks orgoman, sounds like H2SO4 and HgSO4 work on both internal and external alkynes.

I didn't know about the BH3/H2O2/-OH reaction to make an internal alkyne turn into an aldehyde, that's helpful.
Aldehydes will only result if the alkyne is terminal......... As I stated.....use Sia2BH....If BH3 is used,,,,,on an internal alkyne.....a ketone is made.......sorry for any confusion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I see that. Hydroboration will turn an internal alkyne into a ketone not an aldehyde.

Will hydroboration turn a terminal alkyne into an aldehyde like Sia2BH will?

Okay, I see that. Hydroboration will turn an internal alkyne into a ketone not an aldehyde.

Will hydroboration turn a terminal alkyne into an aldehyde like Sia2BH will?

Sia2BH is an excellent way to turn a terminal alkyne into an aldehyde !!!!! BH3 will not work very well,,,,,,since alcohols can form !!!!

Dr . Romano