All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfspeaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have a rant and rave thread. A random thread. We need one for out pets! Post questions, advice, photos. Whatever you want.

I'll start by asking for some advice.

I'm getting this female puppy in January(middle of the picture, lighter one. Sorry the pic is huge). I've only ever had dogs/puppies out at the farm. Never a puppy indoors. So, I will inevitably need some help down the road. :laugh:

She is German Shepard/Australian Cattle Dog/Rottweiler(25/25/50).

First off: I need a good female dog name for a larger dog. Preferably something 2 syllable, or able to shorten to 2. (easier to differentiate between the name and 'no', 'stop', 'sit', etc). Nothing like Princess or Fifi. :laugh:

Second: I have a bit of a potty dilemma. Well, two actually.
1) I would like to use the back yard for potty, however the back door is through the kitchen. I would like to keep the kitchen off limits as the cat litter and food/water will be in there. (I'm setting up a baby gate in the doorway 6" above the floor, so the cats can go under, but the dog can't) If I want to keep the kitchen off limits I can't keep bringing the dog through it umpteen times a day. I just wanted to avoid the front yard because of neighbors. I have a feeling I'm going to have to use the front yard anyways. (either front or back, I'd be picking up the dog poo. Who wants to step in it while mowing. :laugh:)

2) I may be able to set up a small kennel at the Dairy for when I'm working there. But my other job is at a bar(for now) and I can't do that. The puppy will be 8 weeks old when I get it and can't hold pee for more than 3 hours. I work 7 hour shifts, 20 miles away. I can't put a kennel in the backyard yet with all the snow, and can't afford it until spring. I was thinking about setting up a round pen in my living room with a pee pad at one end. Would that work for when I'm gone at work? No one else will be home.

156288_4588117134367_112532824_n.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

We have a rant and rave thread. A random thread. We need one for out pets! Post questions, advice, photos. Whatever you want.

I'll start by asking for some advice.

I'm getting this female puppy in January(middle of the picture, lighter one. Sorry the pic is huge). I've only ever had dogs/puppies out at the farm. Never a puppy indoors. So, I will inevitably need some help down the road. :laugh:

She is German Shepard/Australian Cattle Dog/Rottweiler(25/25/50).

First off: I need a good female dog name for a larger dog. Preferably something 2 syllable, or able to shorten to 2. (easier to differentiate between the name and 'no', 'stop', 'sit', etc). Nothing like Princess or Fifi. :laugh:

Second: I have a bit of a potty dilemma. Well, two actually.
1) I would like to use the back yard for potty, however the back door is through the kitchen. I would like to keep the kitchen off limits as the cat litter and food/water will be in there. (I'm setting up a baby gate in the doorway 6" above the floor, so the cats can go under, but the dog can't) If I want to keep the kitchen off limits I can't keep bringing the dog through it umpteen times a day. I just wanted to avoid the front yard because of neighbors. I have a feeling I'm going to have to use the front yard anyways. (either front or back, I'd be picking up the dog poo. Who wants to step in it while mowing. :laugh:)

2) I may be able to set up a small kennel at the Dairy for when I'm working there. But my other job is at a bar(for now) and I can't do that. The puppy will be 8 weeks old when I get it and can't hold pee for more than 3 hours. I work 7 hour shifts, 20 miles away. I can't put a kennel in the backyard yet with all the snow, and can't afford it until spring. I was thinking about setting up a round pen in my living room with a pee pad at one end. Would that work for when I'm gone at work? No one else will be home.

As far as the kitchen goes, that's up to you. My dogs have always been feed in the kitchen/dining room. Being in a townhouse, without a yard, we go out the front door on a leash so she can use the bathroom. Someone else may have better advice about the time's while you work. I have never been a fan of puppy pads. Is there someone you can get (like a neighbor kid you trust) to let your dog out every couple of house while you are gone? That might work better. As far as the kennel goes, my advice would be to check Amazon for a kennel. I just bought one for a small dog that was about $20 less than from a pet store including shipping. Granted I still wouldn't put it out back with the snow.

As far as the kitchen goes, that's up to you. My dogs have always been feed in the kitchen/dining room. Being in a townhouse, without a yard, we go out the front door on a leash so she can use the bathroom. Someone else may have better advice about the time's while you work. I have never been a fan of puppy pads. Is there someone you can get (like a neighbor kid you trust) to let your dog out every couple of house while you are gone? That might work better. As far as the kennel goes, my advice would be to check Amazon for a kennel. I just bought one for a small dog that was about $20 less than from a pet store including shipping. Granted I still wouldn't put it out back with the snow.

Oh yeah, kennel in the backyard would be at least 12X12 sunken fencing so she couldn't dig out. Which is why it has to wait until spring and will cost over $300. I already have crates for the house and barn.

Nobody I trust that will be around when I am at work. Can't afford to pay a service(we have 2 in town).

Members don't see this ad :)
My dogs are fed in the kitchen, and their water bowl is in there. However, they know they are not allowed in there while I am cooking, doing dishes, etc. So it is possible to train for different situations, it just takes time. If you want to use the backyard, treat the kitchen door like the door to go out, and put the leash on there, then walk thru the kithen. Restrict access when the leash is not on. A smart dog will figure it out- My little dogs knows exactly where the line between the two rooms is and will lay with her front feet just across that line, just because she can. The other dog is good and minds his own business from another part of the house. . A good "Get the hell out" command works well too.

Can you put the cat food on top of the fridge or counter?

And definitely buy a crate. Crate training is on the best things you can do for your dog, IMO. And anyone who says its cruel is lying or not doing it right. My dogs love their crate and choose to sleep in it even when there are other beds and comfy places available

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Oh yeah, kennel in the backyard would be at least 12X12 sunken fencing so she couldn't dig out. Which is why it has to wait until spring and will cost over $300. I already have crates for the house and barn.

Nobody I trust that will be around when I am at work. Can't afford to pay a service(we have 2 in town).

Makes sense. Just a difference in vocab then. I've always heard those referred to as runs, but it could be just because of geographic differences.

Also you can never start crate training too early. Like cowgirla said, it's not bad for the dogs. I wish you luck with your little one.

Thumbs up to crate training. My older Lab was crate trained as a puppy. It no longer has a door on it and I always find him sleeping in it. I think the general rule of thumb is puppies should not be in the crate for more than 4 hours at a time and should be exercised both before and after.

One of my co-workers has a 12 week old puppy. She has a crate with a bed set up at work and at home. She can't run home at lunch so she brings her pup to work and he sleeps in the crate. Every 2-4 hours she takes him out real quick.

Can you put the cat food on top of the fridge or counter?

I wish I could. Would solve everything. My oldest cat can't even jump on the couch.

I agree with crate training. Properly trained, dogs love them. It should be their 'den' of choice even with the door open.

She'll start training from day 1.

I could possibly set up a covered crate at the bar job, outside. But it's so cold out there at night(I work mostly evenings) and I'm afraid someone may nab her. (she can't be in the building, food place and all)

I know you want a puppy, but would it make more sense for you to adopt a housetrained adult dog now and then get a puppy when it fits your life better? The dogs I know that are trained half outside / half peepads never really got 100% housetrained and that would suck with a large breed.

I know you want a puppy, but would it make more sense for you to adopt a housetrained adult dog now and then get a puppy when it fits your life better? The dogs I know that are trained half outside / half peepads never really got 100% housetrained and that would suck with a large breed.

It won't fit my life any better for another 10 years. :laugh:

I'm sorta 'adopting' this puppy. :laugh: They are giving them away as it was oops litter. I would get a full grown dog but my older cat would have a conniption. She's ok with puppies and kittens and them growing, but not older animals. (that's why I got my kittens years back, she would accept them). I've thought a lot about it, and now is actually the better time for me. Next year, I'm hoping to start school again and would like to be out of the 'puppy' puppy stage.

I still have to talk to my parents, I may be able to bring her out to the kennel at the farm place when I have to work. Would suck to do it 4-5 times a week, but it might work.

Love having a crate. Feed the puppy in there, put a toy in there, etc. Mine likes hers and sleeps in there by choice too.

This is my pooch, Skip! I got him for my 9th birthday at the local shelter and he is still acts as though he's a puppy. He's a mutt. Don't know what he is but if anyone's got any ideas let me know!!! We've gotten greyhound, aussie and pointer so far haha.

He decided to wake me up this morning and give me Christmas kisses!

A_Awx1QCIAAvWi6.jpg:large

And here's a full pic of him. :D

A_AxwfjCIAI1gJC.jpg:large

Part Aussie would have been my first guess, too.

Aussie or pointer is what I thought of.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would lean more toward cattledog than aussie.

Aw!!! I wish I could adopt a puppy (or dog in general), I'm just afraid that I won't have time in vet school and will be forced to neglect him/her. :( I know that plenty of people find the time to spend with their dogs while in school, but I want to be involved in as much as possible.

With that said, I'm supposed to be fostering a kitten soon that came in to my animal hospital with a broken leg for xrays... The animal control vet was going to wait until she had a chance to spay the kitten... but that was a month ago. Things keep popping up apparently :thumbdown: . But if I love her, I might adopt her!

Aw!!! I wish I could adopt a puppy (or dog in general), I'm just afraid that I won't have time in vet school and will be forced to neglect him/her. :( I know that plenty of people find the time to spend with their dogs while in school, but I want to be involved in as much as possible.

With that said, I'm supposed to be fostering a kitten soon that came in to my animal hospital with a broken leg for xrays... The animal control vet was going to wait until she had a chance to spay the kitten... but that was a month ago. Things keep popping up apparently :thumbdown: . But if I love her, I might adopt her!

I got my kittens because I don't have much time for a dog. I'm definitely a dog person, but man they are fun! If you find the right one, they can be just as awesome!

I got my kittens because I don't have much time for a dog. I'm definitely a dog person, but man they are fun! If you find the right one, they can be just as awesome!

Aw, yay!!! This makes me even more excited! It has been a few years since I've had a kitten to take care of. I'm looking forward to the curiosity and biting! haha

Aw, yay!!! This makes me even more excited! It has been a few years since I've had a kitten to take care of. I'm looking forward to the curiosity and biting! haha

I love mine already and I've only had them since Friday.

Is there any way to teach a cat to not use her claws so much? Zuri loves to cuddle and touch your face etc with her paws but most of the time it's with her claws out. I don't think she means to hurt me though.

Aw!!! I wish I could adopt a puppy (or dog in general), I'm just afraid that I won't have time in vet school and will be forced to neglect him/her.

I'm in the same boat. So if you're thinking about getting a cat instead, I would recommend doing a fostering program (like the one you referred to for the kitten with the broken leg). There are two main advantages I found with fostering before adopting: (1) You're essentially "trying out" kittens as loaners since it's not expected of you to keep any. That way you can find an awesome one that stands out to you. (2) I would usually get foster kittens that were about 4 weeks old. So the one I decided to keep (which is now 8 months old) is super attached to me (opposed to a more aloof personality characteristic of many cats), which I love. Literally greets me at the door and wants to be held every day when I get home from work. And fetches really well. Basically as close to being a dog as a cat gets.

Is there any way to teach a cat to not use her claws so much? Zuri loves to cuddle and touch your face etc with her paws but most of the time it's with her claws out. I don't think she means to hurt me though.

I've heard mixed things about this sort of thing. I'm sure you're right that she doesn't mean to hurt you. My cat likes to play rough, but it's not a problem anymore because I clip her nails pretty frequently.

There are two main advantages I found with fostering before adopting: (1) You're essentially "trying out" kittens as loaners since it's not expected of you to keep any. That way you can find an awesome one that stands out to you.

Literally greets me at the door and wants to be held every day when I get home from work. And fetches really well. Basically as close to being a dog as a cat gets.

That's why I'm excited to foster! Unfortunately, the broken kitten is approximately 6M old so it won't be quite the same. However, I think I'll like having an independent cat around, even if she only comes to me for heat :).

We rescued my mom's cat, Roxy, at a very young age. She must have been five weeks old when her litter was dumped out in the country. Her siblings weren't as lucky, unfortunately. Roxy was socialized with an 8 year old boxer "puppy" so she thinks she's a dog too! She comes if you click your tongue.

I'll ask my boss and get her insight. BTW, I love the name Zuri!

You might be able to use these things called soft paws I think. They are basically plastic covers you put over the nails so they can't scratch. I've personally never used them but I know a few people who have.

My merry band of critters got their Christmas presents from a secret santa pet exchange on another forum that I post on. So I guess this is a good time to post pics of them.

This is Yeti, just turned 3 year old mostly-Bengal with one Persian granddam. He is trained to do a lot of tricks and likes to walk on harness outside and visit school with me and generally be a boss. He believes he was put on this planet to Eat All The Food and he takes this belief very seriously.

bVLpF.jpg

Next is Ridley, a research-colony bred DSH who will be 5 next month. He is the sort of cat who is a huge mushface around his favorite people (mostly me) and is curious about everyone else but will sit just outside of arms reach and watch, but look offended if another person tries to pet him.

V4NJe.jpg

And the final cat is Nyx, research-colony bred DSH who will also be 5 next month. She's half-sibs with Ridley and she's a friendly cat but still a bit of crazy tortie in her. She is actually usually the first one to greet a newcomer to the house though with headbutts and leg rubs. She would just prefer they not try to pet her anywhere but on the head.

LDUwf.jpg

And then there is my 1.75 year old deaf, cerebellar + 'epileptic' (read: she has congenital nonprogressive cerebellar signs + bilateral deafness and started having infrequent seizures at about 1 year of age) Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, Pippa. I took her on at about 6 months of age knowing her issues (except the seizures, but lets just say they weren't 'unexpected') and we're working to characterize them and whether there is a heritable basis or not. Despite her issues she is extremely biddable and probably the happiest dog on the planet.

8iEqz.jpg

I have videos and other pics too, but just wanted to post an intro. :)

You might be able to use these things called soft paws I think. They are basically plastic covers you put over the nails so they can't scratch. I've personally never used them but I know a few people who have.

Do they really stay on? I've seen them at the store but I always wondered whether they'd really stay on..

And thanks irrelephant :) Zuri stands for beautiful. :)

Do they really stay on? I've seen them at the store but I always wondered whether they'd really stay on..

And thanks irrelephant :) Zuri stands for beautiful. :)

You use an included adhesive to put them on. That being said a really determined animal can usually get them off.

PP, being still a kitten and a shelter kitten at that, she may not know she's hurting you. When you are cuddling or playing and she extends her claws, gently grab her paws and move them. You can say 'no' to reinforce it. She should get it eventually that she shouldn't use her claws on you.

If it's on furniture, keep a spray bottle around and squirt her when she claws the furniture.

Worked for my Keira. Took awhile though.

The adhesive soft claws do work, but as you know, cat claws shed. And not all at the same time. So, you do have to replace them when they fall off.

Just a note that adopting an adult cat can be just as rewarding as a kitten. I adopted mine at 9 years of age, and even people who hate cats love her- she gives hugs. Kittens are adorable and everyone wants them, but please considering opening your home to an adult cat (or dog). They are far too often overlooked at shelters. Frankly, having adopted both puppies and adult dogs, I would take an adult dog any day! So much less work, and I swear, there's an extra sense of loyalty from them, as they really view you as their savior.

This is my pooch, Skip! I got him for my 9th birthday at the local shelter and he is still acts as though he's a puppy. He's a mutt. Don't know what he is but if anyone's got any ideas let me know!!! We've gotten greyhound, aussie and pointer so far haha.

He decided to wake me up this morning and give me Christmas kisses!

I thought I saw some Greyhound in him when I first saw the pic.

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
To help a kitten ( or puppy) stop biting hard or clawing, yelp loudly and high pitched every time they do it. Make sure to yelp even if its not actually painful because you have to remember they're going to get bigger and ok bites and claws now are painful later. It worked with my dogs and cats. The idea is that your communicating pain in their way, like a sibling might if it was hurt. If I was loud and high pitched enough, my pets would stop and look at me, like "what was that?", and after a while they caught on.

Today my dog and I can rough house and she can "mouth" me without hurting me. My cats are pretty good, though mark you, they draw blood if they become irritated while playing.... :rolleyes:

I had a neighbor who would aggressively grab their dog, who was only playing and mouthed gently, and pin their mouths shut yelling "NO BITING!". The poor thing always seemed so confused. I wish my neighbors would have just used toys rather than rough housing with their dog. I don't know if you can teach a pet not to bite hard by saying no or not, just please don't be like my neighbor!

I've got ferrets. They're really stinking adorable and I love them to teeny tiny bits. They're ridiculously spoiled and take up half my kitchen... their cage is 3'x2' and almost reaches the ceiling, and then they're fenced with a gate for an even bigger area. :rolleyes:

MIfIZ.jpg

Darwin, my big (5/5, we've had the obesity talk) couch potato. This is seriously the best ferret in the world. He cuddles, and sleeps, and plays, and cuddles some more.

lCcgL.jpg

Tanuki! Former lab animal, she's got a ridiculous amount of attitude. Also has a ripped ear and only one front canine, so she's my little pirate. :D

u0rI3.jpg

Nori is technically my roommate's, but she lives with the other two. She's also a former lab animal, but is much sweeter than Tanuki and is very very soft and fun to cuddle.

Reactions: 1 user
Awww, everyone's animals are adorable. I'll have to upload some of my two guys at some point. And I'm totally in the process of getting my guinea pig to walk on a harness.

I'm gonna try to upload a video later. :laugh:

My pup has been with me for two months and we're well on our way to becoming a foster failure. She's been on a destructive streak lately, though (ever since I came home for Xmas and foolishly left the crate at school) culminating in the destruction of my beloved Kindle. Not sure what to do about it--I've dog-proofed my room as best I can and provided plenty of chew toys (rubber, stuffed squeaky, and rawhide) but she keeps getting bored with those, and I can't supervise her constantly. Most of my family is allergic, so she has to be confined mostly to my room.

Oh, look, she's currently trying to destroy her Kong. That's a step in the right direction, but I hope those things are as indestructible as they say.

Zuri is stealing food from Maisha. :laugh:

Can't figure out how to put the video in though. :(

RE: kitties play-biting/clawing, I have used the high-pitched yelp and ignore for 10 seconds method with puppies but never kittens. Mostly I have gotten really lucky with my beasts and even the deaf cat will roughhouse without getting aggressive. I will remember this for the future though!

I have 3 kitties (although people generally think I have one because Dorian gets the most attention) and my horse Duncan, and since Dorian and Duncan are both generally trying their absolute hardest to kill themselves in some new, creative way, they get their photos posted.
Business_Dorian_zpsdc71589f.jpg

This is Dorian! He also has a plaid Christmas tie and a red bow-tie. Also he sits on command, walks on a leash, and is a giant pain in the rear.
DorianCar_zpsc6b50808.jpg

Especially in the car because he doesn't believe he should be in a cat carrier. I raised his whole litter (they were unsocialized, URI kittens in iso for 2 weeks at my old practice) and no one wanted him.

This is Duncan.
Duncan_portrait_zps564f81c7.jpg

He tried really hard to die this year. Again. Fortunately I kind of like him so I didn't let him.

Last edited:
Awww, everyone's animals are adorable. I'll have to upload some of my two guys at some point. And I'm totally in the process of getting my guinea pig to walk on a harness.

How are you able to keep it from getting too tight without them being able to slip out of it. Neither of mine liked their harnesses very much. I was hoping to be able to use them to get them out without having to keep them in my lap.

My pup has been with me for two months and we're well on our way to becoming a foster failure. She's been on a destructive streak lately, though (ever since I came home for Xmas and foolishly left the crate at school) culminating in the destruction of my beloved Kindle. Not sure what to do about it--I've dog-proofed my room as best I can and provided plenty of chew toys (rubber, stuffed squeaky, and rawhide) but she keeps getting bored with those, and I can't supervise her constantly. Most of my family is allergic, so she has to be confined mostly to my room.

Oh, look, she's currently trying to destroy her Kong. That's a step in the right direction, but I hope those things are as indestructible as they say.

Be sure to contact Amazon about your kindle. I've heard they are amazing about replacing them.

How are you able to keep it from getting too tight without them being able to slip out of it. Neither of mine liked their harnesses very much. I was hoping to be able to use them to get them out without having to keep them in my lap.

That's kind of the problem I'm working on. And that he's terrified of it.

This is Rudy on his 12 bday. He's our family dog with possible DM. We never got it confirmed because he's a huge jerk at the vet and also has kidney problems so we didn't feel like stressing him out too much. Also, then our only option for treatment would be physical therapy which he would not tolerate. And then if it came back as something else, we were pretty sure we still didn't want to put him through anything, so we're just letting him enjoy what he has left. We are going to try acupuncture since the clinic I work at does it (at least if he'll tolerate it) and see if it helps at all. I've read that it can and that I can't but since I get discounted vet care, might as well if he'll allow it.

21109_502444363107270_1410644735_n.jpg

This one is of my roommate's rabbit, Petri. He likes to rearrange his play pen in our apartment and nibble on sweat pants.

155870_4371441567830_276580603_n.jpg

And this one is Mowgli who I adopted from a second year. The picture is rather large so I'm going to add it as a link to spare the thread. He also likes to rearrange Petri's play pen and sprint around his cage. Squeals like a banshee in the morning when he hears us get up because he wants his carrots and food.

Mowgs

I'm posting this because I think the horses need a little more representation. ;)
This is my Morgan gelding, Slugger. We have a miniature appaloosa too.

950506213.jpg

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTu06ETnsjo[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Cute pets people!

l1YIrl.jpg

This is Lola. She was abused and found living on the streets. Poor girl had fleas, an ear infection, and heart worms. She still has her moments of shyness, but she's gotten fairly comfortable meeting new people, and absolutely loves other dogs. In typical husky fashion, she's quite the talker too. We have conversations, except I talk and she just makes wooing noises in response; she's a sassy girl and always has to have the last say though :laugh:

FI3VSl.jpg

This is Molly, the mutt. Golden retriever samoyed mix, me thinks. Another rescue, she was with an abusive family, but thankfully because they were in the heat of a divorce agreed to give her up; she was 6 months old then (she's 7 years now). She's, well, a scaredy dog. New people, and essentially every foreign object frightens her (example, there was a car seat outside next to the back door once. She was too scared to walk past it to go outside until the seat was moved). She loves everyone in my family, but is a pretty timid one around strangers. All the same, she's much better than at first; sometimes she would pee herself out of fear around strangers, now she'll hang around and may or may not come close enough to be petted. I took this photo on Christmas, we were outside enjoying the snow; the photo is a bit soft, but you can see some of the flurries around her head :)

Gorgeous dogs, Frozenshades! :love::love:

So, I'm thinking about possibly naming my puppy Kahlua(her coloring reminds me of the drink :laugh:) (refer back to post 1 pic)

1206121125a.jpgSo this is Ricky, my new cat.

He was a barn cat at a barn where one one of my classmates rides. People are always dropping off cats at this barn and the barn owners pay to have them spayed/neutered and for yearly rabies vaccinations. The vet found that Ricky has a heart murmur. Long story short, I adopted him planning on him being mostly outdoor, but coming in at night, and I was prepared to do whatever necessary for his heart condition. Well...he's FeLV +. My wonderful husband agreed to keep him indoor only (despite his severe aversion to litter boxes, cat urine odor, feces in the house etc...). Ricky has other medical issues too, for which he is receiving treatment, especially being PU/PD.

Initially he used the litter box perfectly, but now it's hit or miss. I've even been in the room when he has urinated directly in front of the box! He has defecated in front of the box as well. He has two boxes, both of them are cleaned daily. Each box has a different type of litter, a veterinary behaviorist told our class that some cats like different litter types. I just don't understand what is going on. If my husband knew how much the cat was urinating on the floor, I wouldn't be able to keep him. And once the semester starts, it won't be as easy to hide. Help cat people, please! I'm more of a dog person and haven't had a cat in a long time, I just don't know what to do.

Last edited: