All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm curious what people feed their dog/cat.

Currently feeding my cats Iams Pro-Active Indoor, but I think I'm switching to Wysong. I want to get them on grain-free food and see if it helps my older cat and Wysong is decent priced for the upper class foods. :thumbup:

Also, could use thoughts for puppy/dog food. Large breed. Was just going to transition puppy to Iams Puppy when I get her, but still thinking about it. (I think she is on Purina Puppy Chow right now)

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by friends, our guide dog organization and a vet student to not use Large Breed puppy food, but just the 'normal' puppy food because there is too much of something in there (protein? I don't remember and have never taken a nutrition course so far..) that makes them grow too fast.

I'm planning on feeding Hills to my cats. I get it cheap at work starting next week, so that's what I'm doing.

I was told by friends, our guide dog organization and a vet student to not use Large Breed puppy food, but just the 'normal' puppy food because there is too much of something in there (protein? I don't remember and have never taken a nutrition course so far..) that makes them grow too fast.

I'm planning on feeding Hills to my cats. I get it cheap at work starting next week, so that's what I'm doing.

:laugh: And I was told by multiple people(including both my vets) that most large breed puppy food is specially formulated so the puppy doesn't grow too fast and cause structural problems. :p I haven't done any research on it, so no ideas. The Iams one I was looking at was just plain puppy food. Not breed specific, as far as I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: And I was told by multiple people(including both my vets) that most large breed puppy food is specially formulated so the puppy doesn't grow too fast and cause structural problems. :p I haven't done any research on it, so no ideas. The Iams one I was looking at was just plain puppy food. Not breed specific, as far as I know.

our nutritionist was very adamant that large dogs get large dog puppy food to slow their growth and prevent structural problems. fat and calcium are the key culprits (NOT protein).

you do have to look at the general vs. large breed levels in your puppy food though, because i found that they don't always differ or hardly differ in these 2 areas. i did a bunch of poking around when my parents had a puppy last year and i was taking nutrition

Currently feeding my cats Iams Pro-Active Indoor, but I think I'm switching to Wysong. I want to get them on grain-free food and see if it helps my older cat and Wysong is decent priced for the upper class foods. :thumbup:

Also, could use thoughts for puppy/dog food. Large breed. Was just going to transition puppy to Iams Puppy when I get her, but still thinking about it. (I think she is on Purina Puppy Chow right now)

Something to look into when you go to vet school: Hill's has a grain-free option. I will say, my dog may not quite be doing as well on it, compared to being on other grain-free diets (Taste of the Wild, Blue, etc.). I have found there is less of a need for a gradual change on grain-free foods. Some of you may think this isn't a good idea, and not all animals react the same way. However, my dog did just fine switching from one grain-free to another. So the Hill's grain-free is what my dogs are on now.

It's the Ca:p ratio. If they grow too fast, they are more likely to develop OCD lesions (osteochodrosis dessicans - essentially "bad cartilage") and can have lameness later in life as a result.

So large breed puppy food for large breeds, please

It's the Ca:p ratio. If they grow too fast, they are more likely to develop OCD lesions (osteochodrosis dessicans - essentially "bad cartilage") and can have lameness later in life as a result.

So large breed puppy food for large breeds, please

Yeah, that's what my vet said! :laugh: (couldn't remember WHAT she said :oops:, just knew she said to feed Large Breed and at the time she explained it, it made sense to me.)

PP, I dont' know what your people you talked to, were talking about. The protein level in Large Breed puppy food is well within acceptable range. But that's about all I know about it. :laugh:

So my two odd little pets are african clawed water frogs, named Charles (black) and Linnaeus (albino). I had them for about a year and they had no name. They were very supportive during my studying evolution, which led to their names (Charles Darwin and Carl Linnaeus). They like to sit and stare at me while I sit at my desk.

559713_10152312144765453_1395796856_n.jpg

Also, since I noticed horses are underrepresented here. This was my horse Hunter (OTTB). Got him as a 3 year old and he to this day was the love of my life. Unfortunately it is very expensive to keep a horse in NYC, so when it came time for college/need for car, I had to sell him.
96_9733075452_3335_n.jpg

406603_10152362255515453_1673700909_n.jpg

And this is Kenny, another thoroughbred who my trainer owns. I've been taking care of him/riding him for awhile now. I guess you can say I have a soft spot for my tall lanky boys haha. It took me about 100 photos to get that tongue shot!
541281_10152159386710453_1292747528_n.jpg

485759_10151386910035453_530044731_n.jpg

Last edited:
Found an adorable dog I'm looking into possibly adopting. He's supposedly great with other dogs too which is what I want.
Just rechecking the monies to see if I can actually afford it. He's smaller (35 lbs) and I can get free/discouned food, so I'm not worried about that. Same with flea tick/HWP. The adoption fee is just steeper than I was expecting.
And my roommate would spoil him, so I'm sure she'd help with toys and things like that. If it happens, I'll be sure to post pictures.

Found an adorable dog I'm looking into possibly adopting. He's supposedly great with other dogs too which is what I want.
Just rechecking the monies to see if I can actually afford it. He's smaller (35 lbs) and I can get free/discouned food, so I'm not worried about that. Same with flea tick/HWP. The adoption fee is just steeper than I was expecting.
And my roommate would spoil him, so I'm sure she'd help with toys and things like that. If it happens, I'll be sure to post pictures.

What kind of dog?? :)

What kind of dog?? :)

He's listed as a corgi/collie mix but he's super cute. I suppose I could post a picture of him now.

PA678.25119611-1-x.jpg

Everyone loves this picture. They all just want to squeeze his cheeks.
PA678.25119611-3-x.jpg

ETA: Went ahead and submitted the application.

Last edited:
He's listed as a corgi/collie mix but he's super cute. I suppose I could post a picture of him now.

PA678.25119611-1-x.jpg

Everyone loves this picture. They all just want to squeeze his cheeks.
PA678.25119611-3-x.jpg

The first pic makes him look like he might be part Icelandic Sheepdog. I'd say all, but he's missing a few vital body parts from the looks of it (IE, lots of extra toes in the back)

I looked up his petfinder profile and the other two pics don't really look like Icie though. Coat and tail are all wrong, even for the "short coat Icies," (My girl is a long haired and boys tend to be a bit blockier than females) I got all excited for a minute!

For comparison:

226294_858435765791_1271406_n.jpg

The first pic makes him look like he might be part Icelandic Sheepdog. I'd say all, but he's missing a few vital body parts from the looks of it (IE, lots of extra toes in the back)

I looked up his petfinder profile and the other two pics don't really look like Icie though. Coat and tail are all wrong. I got all excited for a minute!

I just looked up what they look like (don't think I've ever seen one) but I definitely see it except for the coat and tail like you said.

I'll be sure to keep you guys updated though on the progress.

Members don't see this ad :)

How fun. Just want to say, be sure to check your emergency fund. My experience says dogs end up choosing more than you think. However they are so much fun.

How fun. Just want to say, be sure to check your emergency fund. My experience says dogs end up choosing more than you think. However they are so much fun.

That's always something that worries me, but I've been pretty good about not spending excess money lately. Had a good bit left over from last semester that is being carried into this one. But it's always something that I worry about. My friend just had to take her cat to ES the other day because it got int rat poison, which she didn't know was in the apartment. Apparently her landlord put it there without their knowledge. She's only had the kitty for like 2 weeks and I think she's on a tighter budget than I am. Luckily we can pay off our bills in installments if we have to. Hopefully if the adoption happens, I won't be having to do any of that. Will definitely be dog proofing the apartment some more.

i'm thinking this forum of all people i know in my life might understand what i'm going through best. i have a cat who is 16. he's been in my life since i was 5 (and he was 5 months old). a lot of people just treat their pets as pets, but me, and my family, agree he is just another family member. he is also my best friend, and i spend every time possible i can with him (e.g.: when i'm not away at school). unfortunately, his health hasn't been the best (kidney failure, though stabilized by subQs and high blood pressure), though his spirits are up (he's not eating much, either). i do tend to play with him more than the rest of family, and i notice when i'm not around as much, he seems to sleep more, and i honestly think he gets depressed.
long story short, you can tell the humans in your life that you're going away to school but are coming back soon, but you can't tell your cat that. i don't want him to think i'm betraying him. i don't live at home while i'm at school (in undergrad), but i'm close to home so i come home at least once a month. when i will be in vet school, there are none close to me (and with my acceptance trend this year, it seems caribbean schools are more likely to accept me), so i obviously won't be home as often, and he's not fully used to that.
for those in vet school, how do you cope with not being proximal to a pet? how do you find your pet feels while your away? i most fear that he will (God forbid) pass away while i'm at school, and i'd want to be hear for that more than anything...

i'm thinking this forum of all people i know in my life might understand what i'm going through best. i have a cat who is 16. he's been in my life since i was 5 (and he was 5 months old). a lot of people just treat their pets as pets, but me, and my family, agree he is just another family member. he is also my best friend, and i spend every time possible i can with him (e.g.: when i'm not away at school). unfortunately, his health hasn't been the best (kidney failure, though stabilized by subQs and high blood pressure), though his spirits are up (he's not eating much, either). i do tend to play with him more than the rest of family, and i notice when i'm not around as much, he seems to sleep more, and i honestly think he gets depressed.
long story short, you can tell the humans in your life that you're going away to school but are coming back soon, but you can't tell your cat that. i don't want him to think i'm betraying him. i don't live at home while i'm at school (in undergrad), but i'm close to home so i come home at least once a month. when i will be in vet school, there are none close to me (and with my acceptance trend this year, it seems caribbean schools are more likely to accept me), so i obviously won't be home as often, and he's not fully used to that.
for those in vet school, how do you cope with not being proximal to a pet? how do you find your pet feels while your away? i most fear that he will (God forbid) pass away while i'm at school, and i'd want to be hear for that more than anything...

i wish i had something useful to tell you, but alas, I am still crying over leaving my piggie tomorrow for 4 months. it doesn't really get easier or better. i miss her terribly while i'm gone and i feel so so SO guilty that she doesn't understand what is happening. occasionally we skype, and she recognizes my voice, but she just looks confused the whole time. the time away (on my end) does go very quickly and 17 weeks feels like 17 minutes, but it is definitely tough being away from those you love, particularly when they are elderly, sickly, or don't understand. :cry:

i wish i had something useful to tell you, but alas, I am still crying over leaving my piggie tomorrow for 4 months. it doesn't really get easier or better. i miss her terribly while i'm gone and i feel so so SO guilty that she doesn't understand what is happening. occasionally we skype, and she recognizes my voice, but she just looks confused the whole time. the time away (on my end) does go very quickly and 17 weeks feels like 17 minutes, but it is definitely tough being away from those you love, particularly when they are elderly, sickly, or don't understand. :cry:

it definitely means a lot to hear someone else with a similar story, like yours, though :) i've accepted that of course i'll be nostalgic and somewhat distracted by his absence, but i'm more concerned about how he will feel. does your pig stay with family in the meantime? as i had mentioned, my cat will be, like he always is, with my parents, but i won't be there. does your family, or whoever is primary caregiver is, notice a change in mood?

While I don't have any of my own pets, my family got my two dogs while I was in junior high so I'm pretty attached to them. Before I left for school (I'm still in UG) I was really close with my girl dog, who is slightly crazy and high maintenance so I provided a lot of emotional support for her. One thing I've learned: I think the separation is harder on me than her. she definitely misses me and practically suffocates me when I come home, but she's gotten very attached to my dad recently so I know she is cared for emotionally when I am away. True, he won't understand why you aren't there, but I think especially if you are leaving him with someone you know will love and care for him he will be happy. I'm not telling you this to make light of your situation (I know it can be hard) but to hopefully provide some comfort for you.

I worry about my pets dying while I'm away too, but I guess we'll cross that bridge if it happens. My horse died from a bad case of colic during finals week of my sophomore year and it really sucked because I couldn't be there to say goodbye. But at the same time, I don't have those horrible images of a sick and dying horse in my mind. When I think of her I can think of all the good times we had. In a way, it feels like she's still here but I just can't see her. So there is a tiny silver lining.

I had this problem in undergrad as well. I was able to come home more often than you since I worked near home every weekend, but my dad would tell me that for the first couple days she would go around the house meowing and looking for me. And like you, I've had my kitty for the past 11 years, so she is definitely a part of the family. My biggest fear and regret is that I can't explain to her what is happening when I leave, and I really hope I get into a school in the US because then she will be coming with me. And to your other question, after her few days of looking for me, she tends to warm up to my dad and spend time with him, until I get home again.

FWIW I just switched my older guy to EVO which he is gobbling up. The cans say "95% meat" but I also can't find any grain listed on the ingredients. When I was comparing prices for everything I found the EVO to be pretty reasonable, especially when you buy a case of the big cans (13.2 oz). It was just slightly more expensive than Innova, which I feed to all my other cats. EVO also makes duck and venison canned food if you're looking for a novel protein (this was the reason for my switch actually and he reeeeally prefers the EVO over the Royal Canin hypoallergenic food I tried first).

Edited to add: after a quick check on petfooddirect.com it looks like for big cans, EVO is about $11 cheaper per case than Wysong! (Link)

Last edited:
I had this problem in undergrad as well. I was able to come home more often than you since I worked near home every weekend, but my dad would tell me that for the first couple days she would go around the house meowing and looking for me. And like you, I've had my kitty for the past 11 years, so she is definitely a part of the family. My biggest fear and regret is that I can't explain to her what is happening when I leave, and I really hope I get into a school in the US because then she will be coming with me. And to your other question, after her few days of looking for me, she tends to warm up to my dad and spend time with him, until I get home again.

That reminds me! My girl dog uses her nose to push on my door, making it sound like someone is knocking on it. It's how she gets my attention when I have my door closed, it's so darn cute! Anyway, my mom tells me that for the first couple of days after I leave she'll go and "knock" on my door occasionally. But I agree with you, I think after the first few days they adjust. I've noticed that since I've been away for longer periods of time that she has bonded more with my dad, which I think is actually better for her since he is always around.

I had to leave my cat behind. It is hard.... saying good bye was very difficult, but she is at home with my parents where she has always been, happy as clam... pestering the other cat and causing chaos. I miss her terribly and want to bring her back with me next year, but still not sure about it because it would be really stressful for her. She is very well cared at home and I know she misses me some, but she is happy and comfortable and as hard as it is to be away from her, her comfort, happiness and well being are more important than my want to have her here. It is difficult to leave them behind, but they do seem to adjust, much more easily than we do.

So, Canine Good Citizen classes started at school this week. Problem Dog managed to fail the course thirty seconds after walking through the door. :oops:

Annnd, off to the behaviorist we go . . .

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1358542456.327581.jpg

Those are my two cone heads. They both got spayed this week. :laugh:

And to show you my other one. Here she is being her usual annoying self. ;)

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1358542681.741940.jpg

Something that could help her: Do you have a blanket that you sleep with, or could start sleeping with one now. When you leave, leave the blanket where she can lay on it and smell you and be 'close'. :laugh: Helps my cats when I am gone for a few days at a time. (1 cat can not jump, so she can't get on the bed on her own, I leave the blanket on the floor). My roommate says the cats are always sleeping on it.They choose that blanket over all the others. But, that is only for a few days at a time.

I also have a cat in kidney failure who's been on on SQs for ~7months. She had been doing really well, but recently her skin's gotten really tough and getting the needle in can be difficult, and she's much less tolerant of it than she once was. However she's a prissy little calico who doesn't have much use for her human slaves other than as a warm lap (although now that she has a heated bed, we're pretty much completely useless), so she's not really who I was replying to this post to talk about!
We have another cat who I got when I was a sophomore in high school. He and his brother (whom we also have) were born on my cousin's friend's family farm. He was born missing part of his right hind leg, with the bone sticking out and the muscle exposed. Needless to say it was infected and filled with maggots and all that fun stuff. He was also sort of the runt of the litter. The farmers were going to shoot him, but my cousin rescued him and saved up her money to get his leg amputated. We ended up with him and his gregarious brother (who as it turned out had a very expensive polyp growing in his head, but that's another story) as my cousin was allergic and couldn't keep them. Oliver (the three legged cat) was always skitish and shy, most likely because he had been so vulnerable as a kitten. As they got older he became more shy, hating to be around people (except for food, of course) or being touched, usually hiding in the basement. I spent a lot of time working with him, trying to desensitize him to people and make him more social, or at the very least less chronically terrified. It worked pretty well, but he was generally much more comfortable when I was around than other people. When I went off to college, my parents didn't have the time to devote to him like I had, and he unfortunately reverted mostly to his old ways. But when I'd come home on longer breaks, after the first few days he would usually resurface from the basement and spend a lot more time around us. Now that I live at home, he is much more sociable than he once was. So the moral of the story is, yes, your pet will miss you, especially if you are the one who spends the most time with him. Perhaps you can see if someone else in your family can make it their mission to take up what you have been doing and spend a little extra time with the cat? And I agree that leaving behind a blanket that smells like you is a great idea! As far as going off to vet school is concerned, you have to consider that fall is still a long way away. He may no longer be with you by the time you go off to school. I don't know how long he's been on fluids already, but while I know cats can live for years on fluids, from my experience with my own cat, I can tell you it becomes impractical after awhile to keep giving the SQs as they build up scar tissue. Some cats may tolerate it longer than others. If he is still around when you're gone, you might be better off not being around to see him fade away. And very sick animals often pull away from their families and like to be alone when they get close to the end.

I find the lack of bird and reptile representation in this thread upsetting. So...

This is Minaj (I wasn't the one who named her...). She's a white dove (aka common pigeon who was bred to be white). She's 8 1/2 years old. She used to live in a loft with a lot of other white doves who were used for dove releases in weddings, until she got a brain parasite. She can no longer fly or walk, but lives in a palace of memory foam and microplush blankets and gets to eat all of her favorite seeds and has almost daily physical therapy sessions and likes to sit in my lap and groom herself while I watch TV.
251870_3685147255451_1617673110_n.jpg

This is Sammy. She's a 2 1/2 year old cornsnake that I got as a hatchling. (She was only about 1 year old in the picture, though, so she's much bigger now) She's pretty awesome and almost always tries to eat her mice backwards. She even escaped in my mom's car once when she was taking her in to teach her preschool class about reptiles. Unfortunately, it was rather hot out at the time, so it took a few days and a cool night to get her to come out of whatever nice nook she found and snuggle in the box under a heatlamp that we'd put in.
223429_1813641348973_3832393_n.jpg

And then like seemingly everyone else, I have a cat, who is the love of my life. He's almost 4 now. His name is technically Apollo, but everyone calls him Bug. While he's a super snuggler with me, he's a bit of bully to everyone else, both animal and human. He's also very paranoid that everyone else will steal all the food and he will never get to eat again, so he steals everyone else's food and defies my best attempts to keep him from getting fat. And he has leaky anal glands. So whenever he gets really happy or really stressed, he gets really smelly. And likes to rub his butt in my face.
217177_1805963957043_4650344_n.jpg

321162_4364312474157_1136856680_n.jpg

While I'm at it, this is one of my parents' cats who might end up coming with me if I go off to vet school in the fall, as his brother may no longer be with us by the end of the summer and I'd hate to leave him stuck alone with our prissy old girl (who also might not be alive by the end of the summer) and the dog he doesn't get along with. His name is Charlie, he's almost ten years old, and is one of the most charming, gregarious cats you'll ever meet. He has the most unique, entertaining purrs and it takes very little to get him going. He's also a big trouble maker who likes to chew on bread you leave on the counter and knock over glasses of water you leave out.
406612_4364312954169_1669245945_n.jpg

Might as well post photos of the rest of the pets in the house as I keep talking about them.
This is Charlie's brother Oliver. He was born missing part of his right hind leg. But he seems to think it's still there sometimes and tries to use it to scratch behind his right ear all the time. When you scratch his ear for him, his little stump starts to twitch as if he was doing it himself. He's a pretty anxious, timid cat. Unfortunately he has an enlarged heart and may be starting to develop congestive heart failure, as he's been coughing an increasing amount the past few days.
314022_4364311674137_423744889_n.jpg

And this is Taffy. She's almost 18. Until her kidneys started giving out on her about two years ago, she's been a perfectly healthy girl her whole life. Until she started getting sick she always seemed to take great pride in her appearance, as it would seem, keeping herself thin and grooming herself quite regularly. She's pretty independent, relying on humans only for food and a warm lap, although her heated bed has replaced the latter pretty much entirely. She used to sit under lamp shades with her head next to the lightbulb to keep herself warm.
229851_4364313194175_1045766024_n.jpg

And this is our dog Milo. He's either 3 1/2 or 5 1/2 years old, depending on who you ask. He's a mix, but no one can agree on what kind. We've had him for about a year. He had major separation anxiety issues when we first got him, but he's calmed down. He's still super neurotic though, and is afraid of pretty much everything, including water, hugs, and the sound of the clicker i tried to use to train him. His tail is a deadly weapon. He likes to follow his nose when he's out on walks and sometimes freezes when he smells a rabbit and you have to drag him a few houses down the street before he starts walking again. When inside, he collects all of his toys and bones and most of the cat toys and hordes them in one of his beds. Despite being a rather tall, 40 lb dog, we dress him up in winter coats when he goes outside (it's not that cold where I live) and even tried to put booties on him yesterday after he got ice frozen to his paw and refused to walk any further so my mom had to carry him the rest of the way home (as I said, he's a neurotic wuss)
548732_3158392486911_1535520020_n.jpg

it definitely means a lot to hear someone else with a similar story, like yours, though :) i've accepted that of course i'll be nostalgic and somewhat distracted by his absence, but i'm more concerned about how he will feel. does your pig stay with family in the meantime? as i had mentioned, my cat will be, like he always is, with my parents, but i won't be there. does your family, or whoever is primary caregiver is, notice a change in mood?

she stays with my parents and youngest brother while i'm gone and they take good care of her (lucky for me!!!). i dont think they notice a change in her when i'm gone as much as I've noticed how extra cuddly and loving she is when i come home. she just can't get enough of me anymore. she could lay in my lap and snuggle all day if i let her, whereas with anyone else she gets restless and bored after the snack food runs out (so about 10-15 mins haha) and doesn't crave their attention the way she does mine.

Puppy is home! Came home 2 hours ago and has been adjusting really well so far:xf:. After getting to know everyone and exploring a bit, she started to play with the cat toys. :laugh:

321474_10102771293198150_1709207498_n.jpg

734958_10102771289101360_1029141259_n.jpg

406066_10102771389969220_402992033_n.jpg

dovelover, your cornsnake looks exactly like the one I cared for when my housemate was abroad for 8+ months. her name was trousers and like your snake, she had a bit of an adventurous streak- a year or so after my friend took her back, she escaped and was (supposedly) glimpsed months later in the woods behind our house.

snakes are such under-appreciated pets- the big ones can be terrifying, but the smaller ones are so beautiful. they're not super-cuddly as pets go, but it's cool to have an animal that requires minimal care and you can just watch do its thing.

dovelover, snakes are such under-appreciated pets- the big ones can be terrifying, but the smaller ones are so beautiful. they're not super-cuddly as pets go, but it's cool to have an animal that requires minimal care and you can just watch do its thing.

That's what I tell people when they freak out about the fact that I have a snake. They're so fascinating to watch, but you only have to feed them every 1-2 weeks (which keeps costs down too) and wonderfully enough, they only poop as often as you feed them! The hard part is remembering to change her water out since that's the only thing I have to do on a frequent basis...

Hey everyone, I've enjoyed this thread quite a bit! Here's my current zoo inventory:

#1 Rupert - 3 years old - 14 pounds - Male - Orange Tabby

IMG_0357_zpsb285d49b.jpg

This was taken when he was about 8 months old, before he put on a few extra pounds. Rupert spends his days lounging around, not doing much at all. He is the most vocal cat I have ever had. For the first year or two I had him he would wake me up everyone morning with incessant meowing until I filled his bowl with food (this is part of the reason he is overweight). He also has a fascination with water and rarely laps it up, instead he opts to stir it around for a while with his paw and then lick it off.

#2 Ernie - 8 months old - 12 pounds - Male - Polydactyl - Tabby

IMG_1623_2_zps7c00e7f2.jpg

Named after Ernest Hemingway because of his 5, yes 5 extra toes. For those of you who dont know, Mr. Hemingway lived in Key West (my birthplace) with several polydactyl cats of his own. Ernie is a cool cat who likes to get into just about anything. He likes to eat bread and loves nibbling on things, including people. He never covers anything in the litter box and seems to think he's the alpha around these parts.

#3 Toby - 10 months old - 56 pounds - Male - Pit Bull Rescue

Toby_zps058efe5f.jpg

This is Toby, my awesome rescue dog! Adopted on Election day 2012, he's a hurricane Sandy rescue. He's very sweet. He loves life and everything it has to offer, including cat poo recently deposited in the litter box. He's very smart and has been fairly easy to train thus far. Aside from stringing 5 pounds of rice throughout the apartment and tearing the doorframe off the wall he has been about as well behaved as a puppy can be. He's the best!

I've been wondering what everyone feeds their pets. Recently I have been shying away from brand names that can be found in the grocery store, instead going with the more expensive (supposedly healthier) brands. My cats currently eat Merrick Before Grain which seems to be really good food. Toby eats Vet's Choice, a locally made food in upstate New York. I've read quite a bit about the pet food industry and honestly it seems that most if not all of what you see on the packaging is BS, regardless of the brand. With all the recalls and funny business going on in the ingredients list it's really hard to know what to buy or if it's even something worth stressing over. Ideally I'd like to avoid a food with a bunch of preservatives and added chemicals but at the same time I've had cats who lived for 15 years on Purina Cat Chow, so I find myself wondering if it's really worth the extra cash. Anyone have any thoughts?

I've been wondering what everyone feeds their pets. Recently I have been shying away from brand names that can be found in the grocery store, instead going with the more expensive (supposedly healthier) brands. My cats currently eat Merrick Before Grain which seems to be really good food. Toby eats Vet's Choice, a locally made food in upstate New York. I've read quite a bit about the pet food industry and honestly it seems that most if not all of what you see on the packaging is BS, regardless of the brand. With all the recalls and funny business going on in the ingredients list it's really hard to know what to buy or if it's even something worth stressing over. Ideally I'd like to avoid a food with a bunch of preservatives and added chemicals but at the same time I've had cats who lived for 15 years on Purina Cat Chow, so I find myself wondering if it's really worth the extra cash. Anyone have any thoughts?

I feed my cats Innova and it's what we feed boarders and hospital patients at the clinic I work at. IMO it's really reasonably priced and the ingredients are all good stuff. My cat's coats improved a lot when I switched them from Science Diet to Innova.

Little bummed. We got approved to adopt the dog I was looking at, but someone else got approved just before us and has an appointment to meet him. Really hoping their good people .

Little bummed. We got approved to adopt the dog I was looking at, but someone else got approved just before us and has an appointment to meet him. Really hoping their good people .

That happened to me too. If they adopt him, then at least he's going to a good home. If not you'll get a chance to meet him. Either way, your perfect rescue dog is out there. I thought I wanted a different dog from my rescue, but even with the nearly $3000 in emergency medical bills in the two weeks I've had him, I wouldn't trade him for the world.:love: Be patient. Your dog is out there.

That happened to me too. If they adopt him, then at least he's going to a good home. If not you'll get a chance to meet him. Either way, your perfect rescue dog is out there. I thought I wanted a different dog from my rescue, but even with the nearly $3000 in emergency medical bills in the two weeks I've had him, I wouldn't trade him for the world.:love: Be patient. Your dog is out there.

Completely agree, even though I don't necessarily feel like that at the moment, hahaha.

Completely agree, even though I don't necessarily feel like that at the moment, hahaha.

I hear you. The dog I wanted got adopted out within three days of me applying for him. Hang in there.

Yea, I actually went to the shelter to adopt a different dog and found out she had been adopted only after I made the hour and a half trip up to the shelter. I asked one of the volunteers if I could see the dogs in the sick ward and thats where I found Toby. He had kennel cough but I could just tell he was going to be great so I adopted him and took him home that day. Hang in there!

Last edited:
I feed my cats Innova and it's what we feed boarders and hospital patients at the clinic I work at. IMO it's really reasonably priced and the ingredients are all good stuff. My cat's coats improved a lot when I switched them from Science Diet to Innova.

Yea, I've seen Innova at the store. I believe it's one of the most expensive but it definitely looks like good stuff. It's funny because I've become semi-obsessed with pet food, worrying about whats in it and how it's going to affect these guys and then I talk to my mom and she just feeds her cats the least expensive stuff and they're all still kicking at like 13-14 years old. I'd be interested to know how many people here just buy the grocery store brands like Purina, Iams, Friskies, etc... Or maybe some insight from someone who has taken a pet nutrition class in school in terms of whether the more expensive food is really worth the extra money etc...

This was basically my thought about my dog. Fell in love with her (at shelter showing my grandfather the place, not looking particularly to adopt, oops) and gave it a few days and said, "if she's still there, I'll consider it, otherwise, yay for her!" And then I talked to a staff member who was super helpful since I wasn't going to be able to make my schedule work around the hold period and extended it a few times for me, though she also made it sound like they hadn't really had any other interest in her (12 year old beagle/hound mix with skin infection and basically no hair on back third of her body).
And now there is 30 pounds of dog asleep on my lap and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

(Also, side note, I met the absolute cutest boston today and I'm not a huge boston lover, but I wanted to snuggle this dog forever.)

Yea, I've seen Innova at the store. I believe it's one of the most expensive but it definitely looks like good stuff. It's funny because I've become semi-obsessed with pet food, worrying about whats in it and how it's going to affect these guys and then I talk to my mom and she just feeds her cats the least expensive stuff and they're all still kicking at like 13-14 years old. I'd be interested to know how many people here just buy the grocery store brands like Purina, Iams, Friskies, etc... Or maybe some insight from someone who has taken a pet nutrition class in school in terms of whether the more expensive food is really worth the extra money etc...

My general philosophy about pet food is that if you don't have the time or money to buy/make natural, organic, happy-sourced, non processed, homemade or whatever else food for yourself, why freak out so much about doing it for your pet? That being said, I don't follow my own advice. My cats get science diet or purina pro plan for their dry food. But all of my cats except the one who needs to be on weight loss food just get fancy feast for their wet food. I like how many flavors it comes in and some of it is pretty calorie dense as far as wet food goes, which is good for my skinny senior cat and my other cats who were losing too much weight on our new meal feeding plan that was enacted for my fat food thief of a cat. But our 18 year old cat lived off of grocery store food the first half of her life and obviously did just fine!

This was basically my thought about my dog. Fell in love with her (at shelter showing my grandfather the place, not looking particularly to adopt, oops) and gave it a few days and said, "if she's still there, I'll consider it, otherwise, yay for her!" And then I talked to a staff member who was super helpful since I wasn't going to be able to make my schedule work around the hold period and extended it a few times for me, though she also made it sound like they hadn't really had any other interest in her (12 year old beagle/hound mix with skin infection and basically no hair on back third of her body).
And now there is 30 pounds of dog asleep on my lap and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

(Also, side note, I met the absolute cutest boston today and I'm not a huge boston lover, but I wanted to snuggle this dog forever.)

:eek::eek: :p I love them. They tend to be great snugglers, even if some of them are a little on the psycho side. However, they tend to have very bad gas.

First vet appointment went really well! She didn't budge or whine with the shots. At 9 weeks, she weighs a whopping 12.5 lbs!

Ah, I should have clarified... Innova in the "big" cans is a great price. Just like at the grocery store, buying in "bulk" saves you money. For the 13.2 oz. cans, the cost comes to $0.12 per ounce. If you get a case of the smaller, 5.5 oz. cans, the cost shoots up to $0.22 per ounce. I'm sort of crazy when it comes to cat food so I'm going to do some price comparisons (all listed per ounce)...

Innova (13.2oz. cans) - $0.12
Innova (5.5oz. cans) - $0.22

compared to some of the other "natural" brands:
Wellness (12.5 oz. cans) - $0.19
Wellness (5.5 oz. cans) - $0.29
Weruva (10 oz. cans) -$0.27
Weruva (5.5 oz. cans) - $0.33
Natural Balance (6 oz. cans) - $0.19
Blue Buffalo (5.5 oz. cans) - $0.30
Merrick (5.5 oz. cans) - $0.24
Wysong (14 oz. cans) - $0.20
Wysong (5.5 oz. cans) - $0.30

compared to some of the more well known brands:
Science diet (5.5oz. cans) - $0.21
Friskies (5.5 oz. cans) - $0.11
Iams (5.5 oz.) - $0.20
Fancy Feast (3 oz. cans) - $0.22
Purina (3 oz. cans) - $0.33

I tried to compare chicken canned foods, and always the biggest size cans available. And thats how I chose Innova - I realized that I can feed my cats "better" food than the supermarket brands for basically the same cost as Friskies. Compared to Science diet, Iams, Fancy Feast, and Purina, the Innova is actually far cheaper.

I promise I'm not a secret Innova employee, I just love getting the most bang for my buck. :D

That being said, I have no idea if it makes a difference that I feed my cats supposedly "better" food than what you can get at the grocery store. It makes me feel better I guess. I like that Innova doesn't have wheat or corn in it because at least right now, it doesn't make sense to me why a cat would need to eat those things (aside from cutting costs for the food company). As I said before, I did notice a big change in my cat's coats when I switched. I can't really ask them if they feel better on the Innova but they like it and have had minimal health issues. I'm not sure what I'll feed them while I'm in vet school and will have access to discounted food... time will tell.

LOL yea if only our pets could talk. I followed the same logic you did as far as the grains go, why put something in the food that would never be in the natural diet besides to save money and add trash calories. It makes sense but whether or not it actually makes a difference, who knows. I wish there was more research / information about these types of things. Like everything else, I guess it's tough when the giants own or fund much of the research.

My mom is the same way, and our cats lived until they were 15 and 17 years old. She did switch one of them to "healthy weight management" one when he got fat, and then later they were both on "senior health," but always cheap generic brands.

My parents cat lived to be about 16 and she only ate grocery store food. My mom tried to get her to eat a higher quality food but she turned her nose up at anything beside grocery store brand. Fancy feast canned food was always her favorite. The last couple years of her life she would sit outside someone's bedroom door in the morning and wail until you got up and fed her a tin of Fancy Feast.

I emptied my pup's anal glands for the first time last night. :naughty:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I have to ask-- do some dogs just need help with this, while others don't? And if they need it done once, will they need it done periodically after that, or is it just a random occurrence? I only see it done when I work a rare day shift at my clinic (and it has usually been smaller breeds). I know a couple of dog owners who have no idea that their dogs even have anal glands because they've never needed them emptied!

Anyway, I asked once and my vet told me that if your dog is scooting, you know he needs emptyin'. But my dog wasn't scooting, I just noticed a very foul stench emanating from his butt. Also, licking, lots of licking.