All Children's Hospital v. U chicago v. UTSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TBRaysgirl

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So basically this is my first post since before med school..but I'm losing sleep, could use some extra advice.

Before interviews, I honestly saw myself at a fairly large program tied to an academic institution in a big city. I did love Uchicago, UTSW, CHOC, and Vandy, but all are in cities where I have absolutely no support system.

I interviewed at All Children's/JHM not expecting much because it was such a new program. I LOVED it. I loved that they focus on personalized medicine, give training on business of medicine and it seemed very individualized. I was impressed that the intern interested in GI had already published, presented at national conferences and had 2 IRB approvals 6 months in. However, because I want to do GI, I am worried about the reputation (or lack there of) that comes with a new program. I'm sure the Hopkins name helps, but to what extent?
 
I think that if you loved it, then you should listen to that feeling. I've not been there but know people who were/are there as faculty. It's a very good institution, and it sounds like their educational plan appeals to you. Being in a place that makes you happy generally means that you will perform and learn well. The GI attendings there will have connections and be able to help you get a fellowship, especially if they know you well due to having such a personalized program. On many levels those factors are more important than name brands.