All Da DAT Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crimson

What up Smokey!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting the mother of all DAT threads...

1. Have any of you purchased the DAT Practice Exam Vol 3 or 4 by DAVID TARLOW? Are they any good? (each costs like 20 bucks on BN.com)

BEST OF LUCK!!:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone elucidate what major functional groups one needs to know well for the DAT (for eg thiols and sulfides)? Also do we need to know the reactions in detail or just the most imp. ones (like 2-3 synthesis etc)? I am asking coz I it is my fourth week working alone on the McMurray book and I am on chapter 19 and after 800 pages with more than 1000 reactions I don't knwo how one can possibly remember all the info. Thanks.

I found myself laughing out loud as I read your last post. 800 pages with 1000 reactions ?!? Talk about overkill.

Know all the major function groups (which aren't hard to know!). That totals perhaps 15 or 20.

Know the major reactions involving those function groups. With more common or prevalent function groups (alcohols, acids, ethers, ketones, aldehydes), know the common 2-3 step reactions involving them.