All Hail Osteopathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhs07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is what Thierry Henry of England's Arsenal , the World's best soccer striker has to say about our profession

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=296902&cc=5739

Osteopathy keeping Henry involved

Arsenal striker Thierry Henry will rely on osteopathy to help keep him fit for the Premiership run-in.
The Frenchman, who had a late fitness test ahead of the clash with Newcastle at St James' Park, has a long-standing back injury which affects him when he is tired.

'This is a tricky injury for me day in, day out,' he told the News of the World.

'When my back is not responding well to treatment it upsets the nerves in my legs so I feel blocked.

'It's not the kind of injury that you can say `yes' or `no' - sometimes it depends on how you wake up.

'But with osteopathy I can put my back right and then I don't have the nerves blocked and I can run again.

'So I have to thank the medical staff, who do a great job.'

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for sharing that.... It is good to know that we can do more than just prescribe medication.... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ummmmmmmm. Osteopaths in the UK arn't fully licensed physicians they are more akin to chiropractors.

ummmmmmmm. Osteopaths in the UK arn't fully licensed physicians they are more akin to chiropractors.

No kidding Sherlock. But this is a testament to OMT and to my understanding they still practice the same OMT we learn. Not chiropractic.

uhs07 said:

'But with osteopathy I can put my back right and then I don't have the nerves blocked and I can run again.

'So I have to thank the medical staff, who do a great job.'

Its funny, how when a chiropractor makes a statement like this, every one boos and hisses at him/her for pedling their dogma. But when an osteopath says it, its lagitimate and cheered for.

From the above statement we can deduce the following;

A spinal "lesion" is impeding on his spinal nerves, interfering with their function and producing a less than perfect flow.

This is fixed by having his back put right, i.e. removal of this apparent "lesion".

This is just chiropractic with a differenct dress on. But here, it is acceptable??

Of course, everyone knows that Dr. Andrew Still, M.D. was a Civil War surgeon and the founder of the American School of Osteopathy on May 10, 1892. He abandoned the allopathic philosophy because of the unfortunate misuse of drugs available back in the day and the ignorance of medical doctors of the time with treating epidemics such as cholera, small pox, and meningitis. In 1874, Dr. Still lost three children to viral meningitis without a chance to heal them even though he was a physician. This unfortunate loss sparked Dr. Still?s urge to find a better way of practicing medicine. He found it, and named it OSTEOPATHY.

Within the osteopathic philosophy, of course, is the osteopathic manipulative therapy (OMT) otherwise referred to as osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM) because of Dr. Still's belief that each person should be treated as one unit. Everyone knows what OMT/OMM is, so I won't go there.

Anyhow, as time went on, a handful of D.O.s from the American School of Osteopathy (now KCOM) and other early osteopathic medical schools realized that they could make money by just utilizing the manipulation aspect of osteopathic medicine. This way, the physicians can get patients in, manipulate them and send them on their ways... QUICK MONEY!!! And the practice of chiropractic "medicine" was born.

There you have it! An M.D. made D.O.s in search of a better way to practice medicine and then a lazy and greedy D.O. made chiropractors in search of quick and easy money.

So needless to say, when someone says, "Its Chiropractic," -- NO, its not! It is OSTEOPATHIC. The so-called 'chiropractor' is an under-educated practitioner of a half-true art. Don't get it twisted :smuggrin: .

gr8n
LECOM-Bradenton
c/o 2008

gr8n

I think you have it twisted.You need to get your facts straight. Osteopaths hell bent on money and fortune did not break away and become chiropractors. Let me make this clear, I'm not trying to start a flame with you. Chiropractic was founded in Davenport IA by D.D. Palmer who was not a Osteopath.Most DC colleges have the same requirements as Meds schools without the MCAT. Why don't you check out a college catalog for one of the schools and look at the courses and class load. Osteopathy and Chiropractic have similarities in philosophy and manipulation, but obviously have many differences. I have met mostly great chiros in my 32 years but there are bad apples in any profession. Do you think all plastic surgeons are in it to make people feel better about themselves. Please do your homework before you start bashing. Someday you will be treating patients that are also seeing a chiro and when you bash someone that is helping them it will make you look like an a$$. My post is based on facts and not my opinion. If you don't believe me do your research.

Rescuetomm
DMU 2008

gr8n said:
Of course, everyone knows that Dr. Andrew Still, M.D. was a Civil War surgeon and the founder of the American School of Osteopathy on May 10, 1892. He abandoned the allopathic philosophy because of the unfortunate misuse of drugs available back in the day and the ignorance of medical doctors of the time with treating epidemics such as cholera, small pox, and meningitis. In 1874, Dr. Still lost three children to viral meningitis without a chance to heal them even though he was a physician. This unfortunate loss sparked Dr. Still?s urge to find a better way of practicing medicine. He found it, and named it OSTEOPATHY.

Within the osteopathic philosophy, of course, is the osteopathic manipulative therapy (OMT) otherwise referred to as osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM) because of Dr. Still's belief that each person should be treated as one unit. Everyone knows what OMT/OMM is, so I won't go there.

Anyhow, as time went on, a handful of D.O.s from the American School of Osteopathy (now KCOM) and other early osteopathic medical schools realized that they could make money by just utilizing the manipulation aspect of osteopathic medicine. This way, the physicians can get patients in, manipulate them and send them on their ways... QUICK MONEY!!! And the practice of chiropractic "medicine" was born.

There you have it! An M.D. made D.O.s in search of a better way to practice medicine and then a lazy and greedy D.O. made chiropractors in search of quick and easy money.

So needless to say, when someone says, "Its Chiropractic," -- NO, its not! It is OSTEOPATHIC. The so-called 'chiropractor' is an under-educated practitioner of a half-true art. Don't get it twisted :smuggrin: .

gr8n
LECOM-Bradenton
c/o 2008

Your an idiot.

You may know the history of osteopathy, but please dont pretend for a second, nor dilude yourself or others that you know anything about the profession of Chiropractic. You clearly have no idea.

And No, i am neither a chiropractor, or chiropractic student. As per mentioned, when you are practicing, treating patients, and begin to illegitimately attack other professions, whom the patient is helped by, you will simply look unprofessional, petty, and foolish. Aim to maintain the respect of your patients, dont demean them, because that is what you would be doing!

I might be mistaken, but didnt the practice of spinal manipulation originate in ancient Greek and China. I mean, those guys were utilizing accupuncture, herbal medicine, and chiropractic-like therapy long before osteopathy/chiropractic ever began. And not to take away from osteopaths or chiropractors, but those chinese massage therapists are not only still very prevalent in China, but they kick butt. I had a major back pain, and got it CURED by one of those noninvasively within 2 weeks. I'm an allopath, but would recommend a back pain patient to those guys any day. They're so good. Did I divulge too much? The point was, who gives a rats about profession or origin or history. All I/patients care about is that the back has become pain free!!

I was talking to one of my friends and when I mentioned osteopathic medicine...he's like oh yea.....my mom goes to one all the time...im like oh ok cool....but after seeing him again....."hey..i thought u were doing medical school....not a chiropractic school"....and of course I inquired further...

What it is that his mom goes to a chiropractor that uses OMM/OMT....is that even possible? for a chiropractor to practice OMM without ever taking OMM classes at a DO school?

I think that is the point to some previous posts. I have had manipulation by both DO's and DC's. Some of the techniques are exactly the same and some are different. There is going to be a mixture over time especially because in certain areas of the country you will find practices where MD/DO and DCs are practicing together. What do you think chiros are studying in school? Do some research and know the practioners you may be working with some day.

rescuetomm
DMU 2008

For an interesting short (very short) account of D.D. Palmer's chiropractic history see page 58 of "The DO's" by Dr. Gevitz (softcover edition, 1991).

Johnny69 said:
Your an idiot.

You may know the history of osteopathy, but please dont pretend for a second, nor dilude yourself or others that you know anything about the profession of Chiropractic. You clearly have no idea.

And No, i am neither a chiropractor, or chiropractic student. As per mentioned, when you are practicing, treating patients, and begin to illegitimately attack other professions, whom the patient is helped by, you will simply look unprofessional, petty, and foolish. Aim to maintain the respect of your patients, dont demean them, because that is what you would be doing!

hey johnny! weren't you at Macquarie Uni doing chiro?

just curious
corey

coreyw said:
hey johnny! weren't you at Macquarie Uni doing chiro?

just curious
corey
Was... Am no longer.