Do DO schools read all six Letters of Recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

-FRET-

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know different schools have different letter requirements, but I've only come across one school that mentions specifically that they "welcome additional letters." The evaluation page of the AACOMAS application says "Your evaluations are shared with all your schools of osteopathic medicine." Will it be like AMCAS where I choose which letters go where when I'm ready to submit? Or do all six go to every school? And if so, does every school read all six of them? Any clarification will be extremely appreciated. Thanks guys!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes we read all letters.

And fer Gawds sake, have mercy on us! More is NOT better.
Neurotic follow up: I have my physician letter and my two science professors that most school's require. But since I'm a foreign language major, I included a professor I took classes with for 3 years and another I went abroad with to do research for & to enhance my science background, my supervisor in a chem dept. So six is considered too much? :nailbiting: Was trying to demonstrate well-roundedness in my endeavors.

Neurotic follow up: I have my physician letter and my two science professors that most school's require. But since I'm a foreign language major, I included a professor I took classes with for 3 years and another I went abroad with to do research for & to enhance my science background, my supervisor in a chem dept. So six is considered too much? :nailbiting: Was trying to demonstrate well-roundedness in my endeavors.
More is NOT better.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I don't need a letter from your History professor who taught you along with 200 other students, and all they can say about you is how you performed in their course. I have your transcripts.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Can a stellar LOR really make the difference? Or are they just “expected” so to speak?

I've always stuck with the philosophy of a solid LoR is expected and won't sway your decision one way or another. However, bad/negative LoRs do make a significant difference.

I've always stuck with the philosophy of a solid LoR is expected and won't sway your decision one way or another. However, bad/negative LoRs do make a significant difference.

That sucks for me because I have strong LOR from years in health care. Worth more weight than shadowing I’d think.

Reactions: 1 user
N=1, but that letter would hold more weight in my review of your application than a letter from someone you shadowed for 8 hours, but there are a lot of variables to evaluate when assessing someone's overall application. Unfortunately, GPA and MCAT are still the two factors that matter the most.

In my experience, bad LORs are RARE (like maybe 1-2/cycle). Great LORs are maybe 5% of the pool. The rest are OK. They all gel after awhile.

I don't need a letter from your History professor who taught you along with 200 other students, and all they can say about you is how you performed in their course. I have your transcripts.
See that’s where I struggled with this- my science professors had me for one or two classes (& honestly, what premed doesn’t go to office hours to build rapport?). I have a much stronger relationship with the department I majored in; their faculty can attest to my competencies much better IMO. So is the harsh reality that being more than just stats isn’t actually a thing? Or is a non-science major the real setback? :sorry:

Last edited:
See that’s where I struggled with this- my science professors had me for one or two classes (& honestly, what premed doesn’t go to office hours to build rapport?). I have a much stronger relationship with the department I majored in; their faculty can attest to my competencies much better IMO. So is the harsh reality that being more than just stats isn’t actually a thing? Or is a non-science major the real setback? :sorry:
Do not think that it is stats only.

We ask for recommendations from science faculty because we need evidence supporting your ability to handle a rigorous Medical School curriculum, and that you are a likeable human being with the ability to relate to other people.

And stats only get you to the door, it's extracurriculars that get you through.

Do not think that it is stats only.

We ask for recommendations from science faculty because we need evidence supporting your ability to handle a rigorous Medical School curriculum, and that you are a likeable human being with the ability to relate to other people.

And stats only get you to the door, it's extracurriculars that get you through.
Thanks for clarifying! Really appreciate all of your feedback this cycle.

It has more to do with the fact that most people have no idea how to write one, and many write several per year so they're all fairly samey.

I credit my stellar letters of rec to have played a major part in my acceptances.

In my experience, bad LORs are RARE (like maybe 1-2/cycle). Great LORs are maybe 5% of the pool. The rest are OK. They all gel after awhile.
What would a great stellar LOR sound like? How could students politely ask letter writers to write the 5% letter?

What would a great stellar LOR sound like? How could students politely ask letter writers to write the 5% letter?

I was told by multiple of my letter writers that they felt confident they could write strong LORs for myself and they said it was due to me being in the top 5% of students they had ever taught.
They alluded to including that in the letter and they probably did.

It helps to take notes of any accomplishments or praise you got during your time and give that to the writer, odds are they won't remember all of them and it gives them more specific things to work with rather than hackneyed vagaries. That's what adcoms like to see in general- including your personal statement- specifics. They need tangible elements to differentiate you from other applicants. "This student is intelligent and very hardworking" yeah so are all the applicants, that doesn't help you stand out.